Nutrition & Diet Protein complementation

I take a lysine supplement occasionally. Sometimes I consider taking it more frequently but I'm already taking a zillion pills and supplements already.

I just like a variety of foods. Much as I love grains, I'd get bored (if not necessarily protein-deficient) if I didn't have other protein foods too.

Ledboots, that's an interesting quote from an article you posted. I usually try to cook things at moderate temperatures from a concern about carcinogenic chemicals being created at high cooking temps, but I didn't know about cooking or sugars lowering the lysine content of foods.
I mean, you have to boil legumes, so I figured that was more about the people cooking animals at high temps. Or maybe frying stuff? I had never heard of the sugar link, either.

My husband has been vegan for about a decade, and last year stopped drinking much soymilk, switched to almond. His nails and hair looked like was low on protein, but I remembered Blobbenstein talking about lysine supplements. I read up on it, it seemed like Husband's
symptoms. (He has a full head of hair at 53, but he thought it was thinning, heaven forbid.) The house is again at peace with my husband's one vanity--to be less bald than than others his age. And per the other conversation, he's a packrat who found me a tiny glasses screw yesterday when I needed one. :)

Does anyone know of a brand of Lysine that aren't giant horse pills? I have issues swallowing pills and I haven't been able to find Lysine in small tablets.

Now I'm curious about the lysine as well. I have taken the supplements in the past when I've had canker sores to help get rid of them. They really did work. I've been considering taking them again.

I have just ordered some lysine supplements as I have just got another cold sore. I hope it works.:)

Reactions: thefadedone
Reactions: thefadedone
Do you cook? I don't eat them plain at all- ever actually. Plenty of great recipes on www.blog.fatfreevegan.com and I am on Pinterest frequently, and follow other vegan cooks and cookbook authors. My favorite are mexican and indian dishes.

sometimes I just want to live off toast, and stuff like that....The bean curries I make are around 1000kcal, so if I just feel like toast, then I go for that. Two pieces of toast with marg is 260kcal.....I love the bean curries I make(they're fairly simple), but I don't always feel like them, and as I said, they are quite high in calories.
Two lysine pills each day is 2g of lysine which is probably enough to boost my intake up to requirements.

sometimes I just want to live off toast, and stuff like that....The bean curries I make are around 1000kcal, so if I just feel like toast, then I go for that. Two pieces of toast with marg is 260kcal.....I love the bean curries I make(they're fairly simple), but I don't always feel like them, and as I said, they are quite high in calories.
Two lysine pills each day is 2g of lysine which is probably enough to boost my intake up to requirements.

I'm the same as I don't feel like eating beans and lentils everyday. I did have lentil burgers yesterday and I am going to be making Shyvas butter bean mash today but I don't eat like that everyday.

Reactions: Everleigh
yes, I like like beans and wotnot, but not necessarily every day.
I made veg soup this morning with quinoa. Haven't made veg soup for a while.

With the huge variety of beans and legumes plus the myriad of ways to prepare them, I can never imagine getting bored of beans.
You can literally eat a different kind of bean everyday for a month.
I could easily eat hummus everyday
that's how I feel too....way too many recipes to ever get tired of beans and lentils.....it's chili weather up here too, so it's another way to get beans in.

I've been eating chili for two weeks now...I think I'm done. I need to find new ways of eating them. I love lentils with pasta. Or pasta with peas. Maybe I'll try and find a good vegan pasta faglioli recipe.