Roundabouts

Of course! Roundabouts are crucial to the road infrastructure in most densely populated areas here in Europe. I think. That said, I'm still a little confused about the traffic rules pertaining to roundabouts!

You'd like the magic roundabout in Swindon:
magic_roundabout.jpg

Reactions: Mikkel
The roundabouts I've driven around locally are not as confusing as the ones in Europe. They're smaller, for one thing, and they're on a street that's in a mostly residential area with a lot of heavy motor traffic and few traffic lights. I only have to remember to swerve to the right to drive around them when I come upon them, and to watch for pedestrians. They're really very pedestrian-friendly, as they allow people to walk across this street by requiring drivers to slow down or stop for them.

So my answer is: I don't love roundabouts, but I understand the need for them. If I was more of a pedestrian, I'd probably love them. :p

I used to be terrified of them but after driving to Cape Cod a few times I got over it and found them to be very user friendly.

Me too. I've been known to turn right and then turn around in a shopping plaza, just to avoid making left hand turns when there is a lot of traffic. :(

If you go to a new area you're unfamiliar with it's very easy to get lost going through one. Honestly I hate them.

I don't have any firm feelings one way or another. They seem to work about as okay as anything else.

Here's what I don't understand about roundabouts: You're waiting your turn to get into the roundabout. Cars are coming into the roundabout in a steady stream from the right (or left in countries where they drive on the right). So how do you get in? In my driver's education in Norway I learnt that as soon as you're inside, then cars not yet inside will need to yield. So if you just creep slowly across the line then the oncoming cars will eventually need to yield. However, here in the UK I've learnt that this is not the case. As long as there is a steady stream of oncoming cars like that, it doesn't matter that they aren't yet inside, you just have to wait, thereby defeating the whole purpose of roundabouts, which is to keep the traffic moving. As long as you're in the stream like that, you only need to worry about cars coming from the right (or left in countries where they drive on the right), and again it doesn't matter if those cars are inside the roundabout or not.

Seems crazy to me, but what do I know!?

Here's what I don't understand about roundabouts: You're waiting your turn to get into the roundabout. Cars are coming into the roundabout in a steady stream from the right (or left in countries where they drive on the right). So how do you get in? In my driver's education in Norway I learnt that as soon as you're inside, then cars not yet inside will need to yield. So if you just creep slowly across the line then the oncoming cars will eventually need to yield. However, here in the UK I've learnt that this is not the case. As long as there is a steady stream of oncoming cars like that, it doesn't matter that they aren't yet inside, you just have to wait, thereby defeating the whole purpose of roundabouts, which is to keep the traffic moving. As long as you're in the stream like that, you only need to worry about cars coming from the right (or left in countries where they drive on the right), and again it doesn't matter if those cars are inside the roundabout or not.

Seems crazy to me, but what do I know!?

That is correct. When you approach a roundabout you have to slow down ( they often do not over here !) and enter it when all is clear.

If I'm not in the correct lane, I often just go around once again.

Roundabouts