Seitan pairing

zki

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I was doing a stir fry with seitan and when it came time to add a grain, I thought wait a minute, Seitan is basically wheat, do I even need a grain? Comments?

I'm really not so much a fan of rice with stir fry anymore. I like ramen noodles or chow mein noodles.
Seitan is a low carb, so a grain does pair well.
My son still likes to say it's a bread sandwich though!

I eat whatever I please with seitan as it's high in protein and very filling.

If you're watching your carb intake, just serve it with more vegetables. Quinoa also contains slightly fewer carbs compared to rice.

If you're watching your carb intake, just serve it with more vegetables. Quinoa also contains slightly fewer carbs compared to rice.
Seitan is already low carb- 4 grams per 1/2 cup serving. Vegan keto friendly!
Quinoa is 39 grams per cup cooked. Not keto friendly
Just saying

Same here. Because it's so filling, I need only a small portion. I've paired it with all sorts of things, grains included.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
Yeah, seitan is the protein part of the dish, so it takes the place of other proteins, not starches. I like to make a weekly seitan and potatoes dish for myself and my roommate. Just use a good flavor base for "steak" and make certain to run it through the food processor's cutting blade for 10+ minutes, and of course wrap tightly and bake in the oven. And of course, before frying it in oil on a pan - don't forget to score both sides of the seitan steak with dozens of crisscrossed score marks.