Target Security Breach

Unfortunately, I DID go there just this past Saturday, and used my Target card. DAMN IT.

ETA: Well, I checked my latest Target credit card statement. It includes the transactions from Saturday Dec 14, but no unusual activity, thank goodness. I know the article said that in-store customers like me are more likely to be affected than online customers, but just to be safe I changed all my online personal information for the entire site. Hopefully it will help keep my account safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I never go to target but of course went there a few days ago and used my debit card. :|

Apparently, the only reason this worked was because American businesses, banks and credit card companies are too cheap to use the better security already available in places such as Europe.

NPR story on the matter

Yep. When I went to Canada for Renee's wedding I called both my credit card company and my bank, who both assured me my cards would be fine in Canada. Then I got there, and had no money at all for a day and a half because they don't have the extra security features. Of course I discovered this while trying to pay for food. :/
Luckily I was able to withdraw cash from a bank ATM to cover me for the remainder of the trip, but it was a huge hassle.

I honestly don't understand: If American credit cards are not accepted by a large part of the world, why isn't this being changed more quickly?!

Yep. When I went to Canada for Renee's wedding I called both my credit card company and my bank, who both assured me my cards would be fine in Canada. Then I got there, and had no money at all for a day and a half because they don't have the extra security features. Of course I discovered this while trying to pay for food. :/
Luckily I was able to withdraw cash from a bank ATM to cover me for the remainder of the trip, but it was a huge hassle.

I honestly don't understand: If American credit cards are not accepted by a large part of the world, why isn't this being changed more quickly?!

If the measuring system is any indication, it's because we as Americans are willing to shoot ourselves in the foot for the sake of a novelty factor. :p

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
A very little something. For such a tremendous fail, they should offer at least a 50% discount.

It's a token gesture, which means it has to be small. It's not like just 12 people in one state were affected, it was millions of people who shopped in every store in the country over a roughly two week period. They want to do something nice while preserving their bottom line, because this security breach is gonna cost them a LOT of money. I'm not apologizing for it, I simply see their side of it.