The Cat Lovers Thread

Thanks for the link. Definitely some helpful tips in there. I'm going to try and adapt some and see if it gets any better.

I'm also thinking I may have to start separating them when I'm not home. I'm just not sure if I'm making it out to be worse than it is. But Joon sounds so pathetic when he picks on her. I'm definitely going to start giving Bratt more attention.

Say hello our newest pack member, Cher. Miss C. is a senior shelter kitty who was about to be euthanized with only a few hours to spare. Luckily, we were able to locate a rescue and transport, and as of today she is one of us. Question: How does one introduce a new cat to her feline and canine brethren? She's spending the night in my bedroom to give her time to feel acclimated to the new place. Should I start slowly with the introductions tomorrow? Tips greatly appreciated!
10464184_10152504180938809_4585434462858413449_n.jpg

According to Jackson Galaxy, (My Cat from Hell), you start by letting them sniff each other through a closed door and feed them on opposite sides of the door, too.

I think it depends on the cats' temperaments. I've never had to separate newcomers for more than a few hours. They always wanted to walk about and explore. I've been lucky that the cats I have never totally rejected the newbies.

Cybil is the most cranky and intolerant and yet she will allow the other three to walk right past her and even eat from the same bowl. Her only rule is no touching...she will respond with a growl and a smack if they don't comply. I would have never believed it could be this harmonious with her around. Maybe it's her age/frailness (19 in August) that has mellowed her out.

Reactions: Tom L.
Oh, and congrats to you and Miss C. :)
Thanks. It was truly the LAST THING I expected ( or needed) but things were looking grim for her and I just couldn't let it happen. She's a very sweet mellow girl and such a love bug. I put up the baby gate at my bedroom door for an introduction . The pups ,who have been around cats all their lives, were ready to welcome her with open arms and kisses, but she was not so enthusiastic.She hissed, growled and swatted, and they just looked at her like "Oh, ok. It's cool. Whatcha got in that food bowl?" I think from their end it will be ok. Jean Claude is completely enamored and Pierre is terrified!:p I'll try the feeding at the door tip. Sounds good.
Give your little old lady kitty a kiss from me.

Reactions: Dedalus and KLS52
Say hello our newest pack member, Cher. Miss C. is a senior shelter kitty who was about to be euthanized with only a few hours to spare. Luckily, we were able to locate a rescue and transport, and as of today she is one of us. Question: How does one introduce a new cat to her feline and canine brethren? She's spending the night in my bedroom to give her time to feel acclimated to the new place. Should I start slowly with the introductions tomorrow? Tips greatly appreciated!
10464184_10152504180938809_4585434462858413449_n.jpg

You are so awesome. Both of you. Congratulations. I have no experience with introducing cats to dogs, so I can't speak to that. Cats to cats - I concur with KLS. I just let mine work out their hierarchy. It seems the more I try to intervene the worse it is, rather than if I just let them sort it out. It may take some time - but they'll get there.

Reactions: sallyomally
She's a great cat. I'm just thankful we were able to save her.We've made fair progress today. Audrey is sleeping in the bedroom on the floor while Cher is on the bed. Brief hissing on Cher's part. Audrey is ready and willing to make friends and is taking the "chill out" approach.;) Slow and steady wins the race.
1457546_10200798938083978_1471907538_n.jpg

Last edited:
She's a great cat. I'm just thankful we were able to save her.We've made fair progress today. Audrey is sleeping in the bedroom on the floor while Cher is on the bed. Brief hissing on Cher's part. Audrey is ready and willing to make friends and is taking the "chill out" approach.;) Slow and steady wins the race.
1457546_10200798938083978_1471907538_n.jpg

She looks very relaxed and like she's already made herself at home. :)

Cher is beautiful!!!!! Good job!!!!!!

A orange stray had been at my apartment building since late last year. She almost had kittens in April but a group had her fixed for me. I was feeding her and worried about her. She was very affectionate and just wanted a home. 2 weeks of networking on facebook and a lady from my home town of Santa Cruz contacted me who loves orange cats. She already had two. We met yesterday at a halfway point (about 2 hours each way for both of us) and she's at her new home.

She caused me a lot of stress and worry but I'm still in tears missing her. I wish I could have kept her but I won't be moving for about a year and I rent a 1 bedroom apartment and I already have my two. If no one took her I was looking into boarding her but to board her for a year would not be easy on her. I wish her the best. The adopter is staying in contact with me through facebook. She was under the bed. Poor little girl. But she will adjust.

Reactions: Amy SF and Dedalus
Gizmo wakes me up this way, which is why I keep his nails trimmed. I've woken up more than once with a nail stuck in my lip or scratches on my cheek.

Reactions: Dedalus