The Cat Lovers Thread

Thanks !
She referred me to this forum ; I'm a fellow animal lover and wanting to become a vegan too :)
Very cool!

I think quite a few of us progressed from being animal lovers to becoming veg*n. It was what did it for me - the cognitive dissonance of loving some animals and eating others.

@Val This made me laugh a little. (I don’t want to name a cat after Rasputin, sorry)

https://www.cuteness.com/13716968/1...ook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=cnfb
Aha, and i'm sorry that you have to read this bullsh*t.:hug: All this is nothing more than another anti-russian propaganda, to ridicule russian culture and values. Most of these words are not names. Most of them represent the worst stereotypes about Russia.:yuck: Some are not even words(!). And there are many human names in this list,- we would never name a cat with such names. The only exception is "Zoya",- there are female cats with this name; and probably "Boris" (it's widely used in stupid tv commercials, but no one in his mind would ever name a cat like this). The last exception is "Rada" but it's a 100% dog name. I would also mention "Fyodor" though: it's a full human name. No one would use this name for a dog, but its short form "Fjedya",- why not. My piano teacher's dog was Fjedya (he was an adorable dog, a mix of bichon breed with something else).
This is so sad...:sigh:

Last edited:
That was one of the more unusual names on the list:

upload_2019-3-14_13-23-49.png

"Eksponat" - exhibit

Granted, the article did not claim that these were names Russian people called their cats, they were simply "Russian names" (actually, many of these are random Russian words) you might bestow on your cat.

Some, like "Laika", being rather ill suited, IMO.

And others ... how in the world did they decide they belong in a list of "Russian cat names" :confused:

My favourite, other than "Karl" and "Marx" (Who was German, but, well, you know :fp:...) is possibly "Yul" ... after the famous Russian-born actor "Yul Brynner" ... which was, of course, his stage name based on his original name "Yuliy", the Russian version of "Julius" ... so ... Russian o_O

Last edited:
That was one of the more unusual names on the list:

View attachment 15900

"Eksponat" - exhibit

Granted, the article did not claim that these were names Russian people called their cats, they were simply "Russian names" (actually, many of these are random Russian words) you might bestow on your cat.

Some, like "Laika", being rather ill suited, IMO.

And others ... how in the world did they decide they belong in a list of "Russian cat names" :confused:

My favourite, other than "Karl" and "Marx" (Who was German, but, well, you know :fp:...) is possibly "Yul" ... after the famous Russian-born actor "Yul Brynner" ... which was, of course, his stage name based on his original name "Yuliy", the Russian version of "Julius" ... so ... Russian o_O
Aha, total face-palm :fp: :D

To be honest, this was aimed at Americans, who often tend to give their cats (and dogs) the most random names possible, including food, such as Taco or Pizza (one of the YouTubers I watch regularly named his Golden Retriever puppy Salsa), and incredibly obvious names like “Dog” and “Cat”. And not necessarily for the same species. Americans are weird. :p

I've always wanted to name a cat Baker :kitty:
I had it on my list of names for the rescue, but they never picked it!:shrug:

Reactions: KLS52
I was thinking that at this point in my life, I’d like to finally have a dog. But I really miss my cats, and if I could have both a dog and a cat, I would. (I can’t.)

I was thinking that at this point in my life, I’d like to finally have a dog. But I really miss my cats, and if I could have both a dog and a cat, I would. (I can’t.)
Would you be allowed to have a small bird where you live? There are always birds in rescue, needing homes. Surprisingly enough, I have found that birds are are like humans than the mammals with whom I have lived.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val and Amy SF
Would you be allowed to have a small bird where you live? There are always birds in rescue, needing homes. Surprisingly enough, I have found that birds are are like humans than the mammals with whom I have lived.

I have no idea. Residents here who have pets have either a cat or a small dog. I don’t know the first thing about caring for birds. I think I’d be afraid that I’d accidentally let it outside and it would fly away and never come back. :(

I have no idea. Residents here who have pets have either a cat or a small dog. I don’t know the first thing about caring for birds. I think I’d be afraid that I’d accidentally let it outside and it would fly away and never come back. :(

Ah, I assumed dogs and cats weren't permitted.

If you can have a pet, is there a reason you aren't adopting one?