The Cat Lovers Thread

What a beautiful kitty!<3<3<3
He does have beautiful markings. (I can say that with all modesty, since I had nothing to do with the making of him. :p )

He belongs to one of the family units I ended up with from my years on the farm. His mother and her four kittens were dumped one summer. I ended up trapping the kittens one by one once they were old enough to eat well on their own. I kept the kittens I had trapped in a crate under a tree by the back door, because I was afraid the mom would take off with the remaining kittens if I took the ones I had trapped inside.

It was a really hot summer, with temperatures in excess of 105 Fahrenheit (40.5 C) for weeks on end, so covered the crate with a wet sheet and kept a fan blowing on it. After I trapped the last kitten, I could finally trap the mom.

The kittens were a bit too old for proper socialization, so two of the girls are semi feral. I was just able recently to pick Rafael up for the first time. The third girl, Alys, has been a total love from the beginning. The mom became friendly remarkably quickly, considering how much trouble I had trapping her.

I had named the mom Eleanor, but she's now Daffodil, because my sister liked that better.

(Not that my sister can remember any of my animals' names. She's given them all nicknames. Daffodil is The Tripper, because she has a real gift for tripping us. Rafael is Short Tail because his tail was broken as a kitten and the end died and fell off. Alys is Curly Tail because her tail is always curled over her back, like a little monkey. Their sister Guinevere is The ***** because she's bitchy to the other cats. Isis is The Wall Cat because she has twice dug a hole into the drywall and disappeared into the walls and under the subflooring.)

He does have beautiful markings. (I can say that with all modesty, since I had nothing to do with the making of him. :p )

He belongs to one of the family units I ended up with from my years on the farm. His mother and her four kittens were dumped one summer. I ended up trapping the kittens one by one once they were old enough to eat well on their own. I kept the kittens I had trapped in a crate under a tree by the back door, because I was afraid the mom would take off with the remaining kittens if I took the ones I had trapped inside.

It was a really hot summer, with temperatures in excess of 105 Fahrenheit (40.5 C) for weeks on end, so covered the crate with a wet sheet and kept a fan blowing on it. After I trapped the last kitten, I could finally trap the mom.

The kittens were a bit too old for proper socialization, so two of the girls are semi feral. I was just able recently to pick Rafael up for the first time. The third girl, Alys, has been a total love from the beginning. The mom became friendly remarkably quickly, considering how much trouble I had trapping her.

I had named the mom Eleanor, but she's now Daffodil, because my sister liked that better.

(Not that my sister can remember any of my animals' names. She's given them all nicknames. Daffodil is The Tripper, because she has a real gift for tripping us. Rafael is Short Tail because his tail was broken as a kitten and the end died and fell off. Alys is Curly Tail because her tail is always curled over her back, like a little monkey. Their sister Guinevere is The ***** because she's bitchy to the other cats. Isis is The Wall Cat because she has twice dug a hole into the drywall and disappeared into the walls and under the subflooring.)
I wonder: with such love (and attentive and respectful attitude) towards beasties,- why aren't you a vet doctor? Or maybe i don't know something, and you have been a vet doctor?:cat::doggy:

I wonder: with such love (and attentive and respectful attitude) towards beasties,- why aren't you a vet doctor? Or maybe i don't know something, and you have been a vet doctor?:cat::doggy:
No, I never considered being a veterinarian. I can't maintain sufficient emotional detachment - I would not have lasted long as a vet.

It's the same reason I can't do rescue as a career. It's hard enough to deal with the ones that land on my doorstep, literally or figuratively. I just couldn't cope with more.

I admire the people who can. I'm just not one of them.

61558842_10219139085364835_6790308441316392960_n.jpg

We take in strays also. I could not do vet work.
This guy was found on nextdoor app. Him and his sister needed a home, was going to be foster. They were feral and born in a tree or something. They had nasty worms. The girl I had to give to someone with better experience with feral cats, very feral. He is a love bug.
13775916_10209983565522561_6023785585814914495_n.jpg

Our first stray showed up on our patio begging for love. She is a princess.
58372710_10218835629098618_1627058414884487168_n.jpg

My boy, was from a rescue center. we went to a pet store and I ended up adopting him.

Reactions: Chryssie
61558842_10219139085364835_6790308441316392960_n.jpg

We take in strays also. I could not do vet work.
This guy was found on nextdoor app. Him and his sister needed a home, was going to be foster. They were feral and born in a tree or something. They had nasty worms. The girl I had to give to someone with better experience with feral cats, very feral. He is a love bug.
13775916_10209983565522561_6023785585814914495_n.jpg

Our first stray showed up on our patio begging for love. She is a princess.
58372710_10218835629098618_1627058414884487168_n.jpg

My boy, was from a rescue center. we went to a pet store and I ended up adopting him.
Lovely! <3<3<3

A few weeks we were having poops on the couch. It started with my big boy on the couch and peed in front of me. We cleaned it and days of waking up with poop on the couch. We put a second litter box and treated for a UTI and it has stopped. I think part UTI, my big boy was acting depressed and not himself, but he has been himself.

No, I never considered being a veterinarian. I can't maintain sufficient emotional detachment - I would not have lasted long as a vet.

It's the same reason I can't do rescue as a career. It's hard enough to deal with the ones that land on my doorstep, literally or figuratively. I just couldn't cope with more.

I admire the people who can. I'm just not one of them.
I'm not sure how it would be with me. I'd worry about not being emotionally detached enough... but, oddly, I'd also worry about becoming too detached (or maybe "burning out" is the phrase I should use). Maintaining that "happy medium" would be draining and difficult.

I'm thinking I should be involved in fostering with a local shelter. My last cat and rabbit adoptees passed in 2011; I'm not ready to adopt again yet and I feel like my 2-bedroom house's space is being wasted, when a cat or rabbit waiting for a forever home could be using it for shelter in the meantime. It's not that I wouldn't get attached to fosters- I would. But I could deal with surrendering them to a good home after caring for them temporarily. I missed my family's cat when I got my own place 3 years after we adopted her, but she and I both dealt with it OK; I took in 5 goldfish from a co-worker's koi pond 13 years ago, and didn't mind giving 2 of them to someone who already had several goldfish in a pool in a greenhouse.

The only downside to this I can see is that a cat or rabbit might get attached to me, and then have to adjust to their permanent home. But at least two shelters in my area have a number of cats who just don't want to interact with people very much. My taking in 3 or 4 of these would free up some space for other cats- and if I gave them a quiet, safe place temporarily, they wouldn't be that traumatized when someone else took them in, because they wouldn't have bonded strongly with me anyway. (Just so long as they didn't have any veterinary conditions which would require me to give them pills!... I had enough trouble doing that with my cat and rabbit forever adoptees, and they were as mellow as you could want!)

Reactions: Mischief
Sophie has hyperthyroid! :(
The vet said .25 of a pill twice a day, but she's the toughest cat we've ever had to pill. She can seem to swallow, stay on your lap contented, then later you find the pill :rolleyes:. Really wiley too.
I asked for the liquid. That should go better. Geez I hope it's not expensive!

Sophie has hyperthyroid! :(
The vet said .25 of a pill twice a day, but she's the toughest cat we've ever had to pill. She can seem to swallow, stay on your lap contented, then later you find the pill :rolleyes:. Really wiley too.
I asked for the liquid. That should go better. Geez I hope it's not expensive!
My sister has had several cats with hyperthyroidism. They each had radiation treatment for it. It's expensive, but no more expensive than the medication over the lifetime of the cat. (Unless the cat is already senior.)

That wasn't discussed- she said it wasn't bad-or caught early or something. She is older, she was fully grown when she came here and she's been with us for about 12 years.
She'll get a recheck in a month after started meds

This could be Stella. She does this to me all day every day if I dare to sit down. So cute!
Overly Friendly Cat Interrupts TV Interview and Steals The Entire Show

Screamer is also extremely friendly! More doglike than a cat! He loves everybody which can be annoying to some people! Skye, Sean's SO, can't even come in my apartment because she is very allergic to cats and a "beer friend" who used to come by had to try to discourage Screamer from climbing on him! Screamer is not easily deterred however! :D

Reactions: KLS52
I had two cats on thyroid meds. One was easy and took the pill with a treat. The other I did transdermal. Both cats lived a good quite a few years with no problem.

Reactions: Amy SF
...somehow the point of the joke.
Comparing the relative saneness of the two species of animals :)
Or, showing which species of animals is "more complicated" to live with...

Reactions: Val