The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us! (June 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably also to avoid any legal issues. They don't want any part in: documenting things that could later lead to people being prosecuted (or just losing their jobs or housing), spreading the word about what's going on (ie supporting the more violent/controversial side of it), authorities finding out about what's going on and intervening. It's kind of a combo of keeping themselves out of trouble, staying out of the violent stuff, and protecting people who might not want to be filmed and have that posted online.

People don't realize that social media is a big source of info for the media and law enforcement. And that the content is collected and archived by third party companies. You could lose your job or face criminal charges years after something questionable was posted online somewhere. I think they're kind of supporting people's right to protest.

That is if it's also blocked in the US. It could be country-specific.
That's true: e.g. here, the major part of surveillance is being done through the social media platform "VKontakte" ("In touch"). Saying a wrong word in VK can be very dangerous. Everyone remembers a significant case, where a girl posted a joke related to sacred procession during a religious holiday, and then she was arrested and accused in the "insult of worshipers' feelings". That's exactly how it sounds, and it's a very serious accusation that can lead to jail. It took a very long time and a lot of lawyers' efforts to justify that girl. That was an act of intimidation and scaremongering, and it worked to some extent. I prefer not to post anything controversial on VK at all. Moreover, i find it a very dull and sad place,- a perfect reflection of bad sides of the modern society.

There’s going to be a peaceful demonstration on Sunday one town over. I will not stand with them because I’m scared, but they are encouraging people to drive by and honk. I can handle that.

That's true: e.g. here, the major part of surveillance is being done through the social media platform "VKontakte" ("In touch"). Saying a wrong word in VK can be very dangerous. Everyone remembers a significant case, where a girl posted a joke related to sacred procession during a religious holiday, and then she was arrested and accused in the "insult of worshipers' feelings". That's exactly how it sounds, and it's a very serious accusation that can lead to jail. It took a very long time and a lot of lawyers' efforts to justify that girl. That was an act of intimidation and scaremongering, and it worked to some extent. I prefer not to post anything controversial on VK at all. Moreover, i find it a very dull and sad place,- a perfect reflection of bad sides of the modern society.

It's very sad here too. It brings out the worst sides of people.

In theory, we have nearly unrestricted use of our platforms, but there's a lot of hatred directed at minorities and other stigmatized groups and individuals. It's so pervasive and hard to escape, it nearly renders the whole thing useless.

I keep thinking about how I need to log in and clean up my Friends list, reduce my number of contacts, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I can't stand to look at the stupid thing. It's such a downer.

• Friendly
Reactions: Chryssie and Val
I got a call back today, voicemail. They said there will be a meeting on the tech issue and they will get back in touch with me today or tomorrow morning. My phone was in the bedroom and hub was still in bed. He almost feel down trying to get the phone to me in time. Quite amusing.

• Friendly
Reactions: Chryssie and Val
Hey everyone! It was not very busy at work today. We did have a few "spurts" of customers but it was pretty boring most of the time. It is still a long time on my feet and my right arm and shoulder are sore as well from the motions required for checking out the customers. I am tired. I do have three days off now. I do the same thing again on Saturday and it is sure to be busy that day.

I made it to the dentist and back. The trip wasn't that bad.

We have an 8pm curfew tonight. I think people will still be protesting.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Val
Police have been aggressive towards the most peaceful of protests. Kids are getting pepper sprayed. A woman simply walking home may lose her eye to a rubber bullet- a friend of my sons coworker. National guard called out. Now rump, who wouldn't tolerate peaceful protests, and cares nothing for the average American, or America itself, threatens military force. Facist.

I was too tired last night so my husband had to bring the groceries in as I went to bed. I just had my CBT phone session.

I'm going to have a fruit smoothie and watch more Supernatural.

Morning/afternoon y'all! I have today off and I will do laundry and relax. It is cloudy and cooler and rain is expected later. My shoulder is sore from work and my allergies are acting up. I think it might be those darn chemicals at work. I talked to my son last night and we will be taking Haley to Cici's Pizza for her birthday on Friday. I am not that fond of that place, but they will make you a custom pizza and they are cheap. It has become the traditional birthday place for the kids. I was so tired yesterday that I ordered pizza. I am going to freeze some of it.

Police have been aggressive towards the most peaceful of protests. Kids are getting pepper sprayed. A woman simply walking home may lose her eye to a rubber bullet- a friend of my sons coworker. National guard called out. Now rump, who wouldn't tolerate peaceful protests, and cares nothing for the average American, or America itself, threatens military force. Facist.

I hate this stuff but I can't help that this **** illustrates how badly we need real change in the country. I think Trump is really hurting his chances of getting elected. Of course, that predicates a fair election.

One more ecological catastrophe is happening in Russia at the moment. This catastrophe in Norilsk city is a result of climate change and human stupidity at the same time. 🥺
"Russian authorities have declared a state of emergency after more than 20,000 tonnes of diesel fuel seeped into a Siberian river sparking concerns from environmentalists".
"The spill was caused last week by a leaking diesel fuel tank at a thermal power plant several kilometres west of Norilsk".
"Norilsk is constructed on permafrost and its infrastructure is threatened by melting ice caused by climate change".
"Russian mining conglomerate 'Norilsk Nickel', which owns the facility, said the tank was damaged when supporting pillars that had "held it in place for 30 years without difficulty" began to sink".
P.S. i can add from myself, that Norilsk is one of the most polluted cities in the world. And this catastrophe will make it not suitable for living.

Hi everyone. It’s going to be really hot today. I’m wearing sandals for the first time in 9 months. It won’t be officially summer for another 2 and a half weeks, but I may as well get my feet ready for sandals! I woke up this morning with the realization that it’s now June, and I can’t keep dressing like it’s winter or spring. So I’m dressed for summer now haha.

Im having the opposite scenario.. hve been getting long sleeved things, socks, a shawl...
OTOH, it's winter at where you are... Is it supposed to be warmer? Or colder? Is there a lot of sleet?
We've had the winter which was almost like yours, though it's supposed to be fierce... harsh russian winter... and what? Right - 🥴. I put on my winter coat only 3 times. No snow, only muddy puddles. That's why ticks are so active now,- moreover, they mutated, and now they are threatening lives of Siberians (that was what i saw on the news on Monday).

• Friendly
Reactions: Freesia
Hi everyone. It’s going to be really hot today. I’m wearing sandals for the first time in 9 months. It won’t be officially summer for another 2 and a half weeks, but I may as well get my feet ready for sandals! I woke up this morning with the realization that it’s now June, and I can’t keep dressing like it’s winter or spring. So I’m dressed for summer now haha.

I gotta buy some new shorts. Last years are too small. I also need some new sandals.

I took my dog to the vet. He needed a checkup for his on-going allergy issues.

Everyone at the clinic was so happy to see him, they just played with him for a good fifteen minutes before checking out his ear. I had to wait outside, of course. Then they didn't charge us for the visit.

They kept commenting on what an amazing dog he is and how the tech wishes he was hers. I pointed out that there are lots of dogs like him in need of homes. Maybe not in NYC, but in other cities like the one where I met him.

So maybe we'll inspire someone to travel south and adopt a dog. Who knows.

Why do i have a permanent impression that Trump's presidency is a never ending disaster? Sorry, if i offended someone, but i'm saying it from quite an indifferent perspective,- from the perspective of a foreigner who sees what he sees. I never listen to official statements (tbh, Russian mass media tend to defend Trump, which is ridiculous). All that i see, is that, unfortunately, it would be better if someone different was a president, really...:shrug: Did you see his "photosession" with a book, which presumably was a bible? What was he trying to say by demonstrating this awkward show? And then Nancy Pelosi took a bible too and solemnly spoke out... Joe Biden was speaking in church and was saying that the police should shoot in protesters' legs, not in heart (what a relief, ugh)... And in the end of the plot, i saw that US' elite is accusing Russia in these protests. (I didn't make this up,- they even have some "proof", and mass media are repeating something about "russian hackers")... Indeed, the world has gone crazy: Paris, London, Berlin, Amsterdam...🤦‍♀️:pout:

• Friendly
Reactions: Freesia
Status
Not open for further replies.