The Dog Lovers Thread

Tablet.jpg
I remember this story being analysed/dissected by the author in the book “The Last Wolf”. He seemed to think this story was false, one reason being that it is unlikely that the prince would have left his son with only his dog. In modern times, would it be unheard of for a non-rabid, wild wolf to enter a human’s home and attack someone; attacks by healthy, wild wolves on humans are actually extremely rare, as they are so wary of humans. Can we really say we blame them?

Reactions: KLS52
My daughter's dog is sick. Poor Vischer. He has a tick borne disease, anaplasmosis. He's in a good deal of pain but is on meds/antibiotics and hopefully will feel better soon. 😞

IMG_7207.jpeg

@Second Summer How is Arlo? All better I hope?
Yes, Arlo is pretty much fully recovered now! It took a good while and we were so worried about him, but he gradually got better and this morning we sent him to doggy daycare as we usually do on Fridays.

Sorry to hear about Vischer. Tick-bourne diseases sound so scary.

Found a YouTube channel that I like to watch.
It is from a dog groomer. and she makes enough money from YouTube that she providers her services for free. And also takes very challenging dogs.

This example was not challenging. Unless a dog groomer can die of an overdose of cuteness.

Reactions: Raven
  • Friendly
Reactions: silva and PTree15
I've heard about that virus, too. It's scary!
Reminds me of a short story I read years ago. The Last of the Winnebago's, by Connie Willis. its a future centered SF and sort of as background its revealed that there are no dogs left on the planet. They all died of a virus. Real good short story.
which then reminds me of several Connie Willis novels and short stories where the world is without cats.
Never really put it together till now. What is with Willis and companion animals.

Reminds me of a short story I read years ago. The Last of the Winnebago's, by Connie Willis. its a future centered SF and sort of as background its revealed that there are no dogs left on the planet. They all died of a virus. Real good short story.
which then reminds me of several Connie Willis novels and short stories where the world is without cats.
Never really put it together till now. What is with Willis and companion animals.
Sounds depressing! 😞

Sounds depressing! 😞
willis is a master at combining mystery, drama, romance, with science fiction. she has won more awards than any other SF writer.
To Say Nothing of the Dog also uses historical Fiction and Satire.

• Informative

I suppose it's a different approach from "last human on Earth" stories, but both scenarios are depressing (or rather, they would be if they were real- I just don't get bent out of shape over violent fiction, although I don't enjoy it.)

I am watching more The Asher House videos of the sanctuary. The animals are so cute, although I am getting so angry when I think about the people who abused and neglected them! It is a mix of emotions watching the videos.

i have seen about that dog disease too on IG.

I suppose it's a different approach from "last human on Earth" stories, but both scenarios are depressing (or rather, they would be if they were real- I just don't get bent out of shape over violent fiction, although I don't enjoy it.)
Neither of those stories are violent. In both stories the dogs and cats died off a while back. its just background. History.
To say nothing of the dog has time travelers in it who experience cats for the first time when they go back to the Victorian era.

• Informative

I just saw they just brought out a video about the virus.

ETA - I can't watch anymore of these videos about this dog sanctuary as my dog gets jealous if she sees them on screen! :laughing: