The downside of eternal life

I watched a documentary once that showed a gang of monkeys messing up this other monkey that had apparently challenged the alpha.

Can't argue with that. At least with humans, the poo you're most likely to get hit with is verbal.

When I was a kid my friends and I used to dip pine cones in dog poop and throw them at each other. It added incentive to not get hit :p
My friends and I used to have fights with dirt clods - not as nasty as dog poo cones, but you really didn't want to get hit with one.
Between that and other popular neighborhood games like mumbletypeg it's kind of a miracle I made it through childhood intact.

Mumbletypeg is a game played with pocket knives. There are several different variations of the game but there were 2 versions that my friends and I normally played.

The one we played most often was called "Splits" or "Stretch". The 2 players would start facing each other with their feet together, then they throw their knives into the ground beside the other person's foot. If one knife stuck in the ground and the other didn't, the person who's knife didn't stick would have to move his foot to the knife. If both knives stuck only the person who's foot was closest to a knife had to move his foot. The object of the game was to make your opponent do splits until they fell over.

I don't remember what the other game was called, something like "Yellow Belly" or something else derogatory towards your bravery. Only the more hardcore among the neighborhood kids played this. I didn't play it often. This game would start with the 2 players facing each other with their feet apart. They would throw their knives between their own feet. The person who stuck the knife closest to their own foot would move their foot up to the knife. The first person to touch their feet together won.

Mumbletypeg is a game played with pocket knives. There are several different variations of the game but there were 2 versions that my friends and I normally played.

The one we played most often was called "Splits" or "Stretch". The 2 players would start facing each other with their feet together, then they throw their knives into the ground beside the other person's foot. If one knife stuck in the ground and the other didn't, the person who's knife didn't stick would have to move his foot to the knife. If both knives stuck only the person who's foot was closest to a knife had to move his foot. The object of the game was to make your opponent do splits until they fell over.

I don't remember what the other game was called, something like "Yellow Belly" or something else derogatory towards your bravery. Only the more hardcore among the neighborhood kids played this. I didn't play it often. This game would start with the 2 players facing each other with their feet apart. They would throw their knives between their own feet. The person who stuck the knife closest to their own foot would move their foot up to the knife. The first person to touch their feet together won.

Good Lord!!!! :eek:
Makes my childhood look lame in comparison !

Our most dangerous game was " scrumping" apples from
Our neighbours orchard! Dangerous only in the regard that you may fall and graze your knee or at worse be hooked by the walking stuck of the irate lady who lived there. :D

Good Lord!!!! :eek:
Makes my childhood look lame in comparison !

Our most dangerous game was " scrumping" apples from
Our neighbours orchard! Dangerous only in the regard that you may fall and graze your knee or at worse be hooked by the walking stuck of the irate lady who lived there. :D
We had our own apple trees, so no "scrumping" for me.

I don't remember anyone ever getting badly hurt playing mumbletypeg, usually after it went through your sneakers it didn't have enough momentum to do much damage - and if you stuck your opponent it was an automatic win for him, and occasionally they didn't give the knife back.

However, when we were small enough to still fit inside a tire we used to ride old tires from the tire shop down the hill toward the tracks (that was the goal that no one ever made - it was about a mile to the tracks). When I was doing it the worst that happened was someone got scraped up, but I read in the paper a few years ago that a young kid got hit by a car and killed doing it. I've also read where a kid got killed in my old neighborhood hooky-bobbing last year. Something almost everybody did as soon as we had snow.

Makes me sad, but then I see the crusaders trying to make everything "SAFE" for the kids and that also upsets me. I think the current trend of padding and helmeting the children for all activities is wrong. Making everything "safe" removes the enjoyment from many activities*, and what are we saying to the kids? That taking risks is wrong? You learn through taking risks. You can't learn to walk without falling down.

*I read a report a short while ago which said that due to bicycle helmet laws (in certain US states and cities - I don't remember which) less children were getting head injuries, however there was also a correlation that after the laws passed less children were riding bikes (or learning how to).

Makes me sad, but then I see the crusaders trying to make everything "SAFE" for the kids and that also upsets me..

Yes me too...tree climbing was big with the boys as well as 'scrumping' and injuries were fairly rare and if they did occur at all they were hardly life threatening!

I lived right next to a field with a dirty brown cow pat infested brook in which myself and my cousins paddled with the cows fishing for minnows and insects all summer long..can you imagine the 'safety' and hygiene ' police all over that one if it was today?:eek:

Reactions: Dropkick
I was once promised eternal life by some special tarot cards. I wouldn't mind living an extremely long life as long as my health is decent, but I'm not sure about eternal. I suspect I would become very lonely if I outlived all my family and friends.