The Everything Animal Thread

I had something strange happen. I watched a dog climb in the back of my co worker's golf cart and lie down on top of the hoses. He had no collar, but he had fleas and a hurt leg. His nails looked trimmed, ears looked clean, but he's just left to wander the campus. Our bosses just said let him go, he'll find his way home. I don't think a dog should be left to wander the college like that. I did post his pic on Facebook to see if I could find out if anyone's missing a dog, no luck. I would have loved to keep him, but my bf will not allow a dog in the house. He is well behaved, a co worker kept him for the night and she said that he was a gentleman. Would have been a great dog to have. I just bought him some treats, would have loved to do more.
Aren't there laws about dogs roaming free? So glad someone took him in, it sounds like he is missing a home--after a time dogs lose their sense of 'home'. Could also be new to the area.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Just to reduce your stress guys ;)
Thank you! Very cool video, but it didn't help much with the stress haha. In fact, the word stress is a serious word and is almost equal to a disease that needs to be treated. I treat it with sedatives here Partner with Canada Drugs Direct . In fact, I advise everyone to avoid these stresses...

Last edited:
Seeing all these Guinea pig ads on Facebook makes me miss having them, and I do have a cage just the right size for a pair. Won’t be possible because I already have the rats and snake but can still dream lol

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
After moms church funeral I went and saw the animals. The cow was so calling for me on our way out. They loved me so much.

Attachments

• PXL_20231230_180700093.jpg
    PXL_20231230_180700093.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20231230_175554539.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231230_175554539.MP.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20231230_180658143.jpg
    PXL_20231230_180658143.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20231230_180219764.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231230_180219764.MP.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20231230_175926443.jpg
    PXL_20231230_175926443.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20231230_175554539.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231230_175554539.MP.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20231230_175437291.jpg
    PXL_20231230_175437291.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 8
I wish animals wouldn't poop in their food bowls.. every time i check on the birds I have to clean up poop from their dang food bowl lol, like come on that's just nasty. they didn't always used to do that

• Sad
Reactions: PTree15
He seems to eat vegan, yeah. Is this his own dinner or does he share his plate with someone?
No sharing. It's all his. Unfortunately he does eat bugs...but he's a rescue if that helps. His previous owner needed to rehome him and my daughter saw him on the northeast reptile rescue site.

Edited to add: daughter has a family of her own and they are not vegan/vegetarian.

No sharing. It's all his. Unfortunately he does eat bugs...but he's a rescue if that helps. His previous owner needed to rehome him and my daughter saw him on the northeast reptile rescue site.

Edited to add: daughter has a family of her own and they are not vegan/vegetarian.
AFAIK many reptiles do eat bugs if they have access to them. It's in their nature and we cannot convince them not to catch those bugs.
Taking care of rescue pets is a cool thing to do BTW!

Your guests who frequent your yard? Very cool! Are they just hanging around, or do you feed them and/or interact with them?
I "try" not to feed them. I do put out peanuts and fruit for the birds and squirrels during the day and sometimes there will be something leftover. It turns out coyotes will eat peanuts, bananas and grapes!

One of the coyote has mange. 😞 Another has a bad eye and one has a back leg limp. Unfortunately, it is legal to trap coyote in Connecticut. I have one with a mangled front leg that comes every couple of weeks. I am tempted to put out dog food but I worry about the neighbors who have small dogs and some have cats that they let roam at night. So I really don't want to encourage them to frequent the yard. The one with the mangled leg has been coming around since last March so he is doing quite well on his own at least.

I feel especially bad for the little guy with mange. I would like to feed him because I worry that as the mange progresses he will have a hard time keeping warm. Sometimes I don't bother to put the trail cam out because it upsets me to see the wildlife that are not in the best of health and there's nothing I can do to help them.

I had a lengthy discussion with the DEEP here and they said unfortunately coyote are seen as a nuisance and there are no groups to help them. They adopt the attitude of "let nature take its course ". But it's hard to watch.

I "try" not to feed them. I do put out peanuts and fruit for the birds and squirrels during the day and sometimes there will be something leftover. It turns out coyotes will eat peanuts, bananas and grapes!

One of the coyote has mange. 😞 Another has a bad eye and one has a back leg limp. Unfortunately, it is legal to trap coyote in Connecticut. I have one with a mangled front leg that comes every couple of weeks. I am tempted to put out dog food but I worry about the neighbors who have small dogs and some have cats that they let roam at night. So I really don't want to encourage them to frequent the yard. The one with the mangled leg has been coming around since last March so he is doing quite well on his own at least.

I feel especially bad for the little guy with mange. I would like to feed him because I worry that as the mange progresses he will have a hard time keeping warm. Sometimes I don't bother to put the trail cam out because it upsets me to see the wildlife that are not in the best of health and there's nothing I can do to help them.

I had a lengthy discussion with the DEEP here and they said unfortunately coyote are seen as a nuisance and there are no groups to help them. They adopt the attitude of "let nature take its course ". But it's hard to watch.
No wonder they eat such stuff. Dogs seem to do the very same thing, if they are hungry, they'll eat things that are not exactly canine-compatible.

That's very bad :no_mouth: Not only because it's horrible to see an animal suffer and to be unable to do anything for them - but also, (s)he must have gotten infected with mange by another coyote. And (s)he has the possibility to infect others with it.
Having a bad eye without the chances of treatment, that doesn't give this coyote too much chance for a good future. The same goes for the third one with the back leg limp... this law about trapping coyotes being legal is something I just cannot get. What if the animal doesn't die but gets wounded? (Killing animals legally is something I am absolutely against, even if I do understand that there are certain circumstances when one doesn't have any other choice - think of getting attacked, or think of a rabid animal -, anyway.) Wounded animals have lesser chances to survive, or they'll suffer a long and painful death from the infections, and/or they'll attack humans out of desperation.

I see why you are in doubt about putting out dog food. Not only would it make the coyotes visit you more frequently, but also other animals too. Your neighbours' cats would surely try to feast, and they'd probably end up as feast meals to the coyotes.

That's a very difficult question. I do understand certain animals are considered to be a nuisance and therefore their lives don't matter. (Weasels in New Zealand AFAIK, or crows in Eastern Europe, and... coyotes in Connecticut.) But letting nature take its course doesn't seem to solve anything. :pensive:

I would be having hard times too, if I were you and had to watch the coyotes being wounded, sick and nobody would lift a finger to do anything for them.
I honestly don't know what I would do.

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52