The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

I have mentioned something elsewhere, hoping nonvegan people who would consider giving up animal products will give up dairy for this, but do not remember if I mentioned this to vegans here in this forum, who if they really miss dairy cheese might benefit knowing this. The best sauce I ever taste within my living memory, which does count for something, is what I have using hummus and medium salsa in most of my cooked meals, pasta or else potato with other vegetables cut up in them generally, along with seasonings I like. I really do not think of dairy cheese anymore and this is so good, it makes that difference. The dairy cheese I thought would be hard to give up, and that I would really miss, unless I found plant-based cheese that tasted as good as it, was only an addiction. Nothing tastes that good for substituting dairy cheese, that I know of. Nutritional yeast didn't do much for flavoring, to me. But I was already using what I have for this sauce in my cooked meals and knew I was preferring it. As I recently find out other vegans don't have this approach, which doesn't matter to me much if their ways to be vegan work, I only think of saying it now for vegans who may really still miss dairy cheese and think about it still. This worked for me to think of it only as a former addiction I am glad to be over with.
I make a really good "cheese" sauce for pasta...I melt vegan butter, raw cashew butter (I'm too lazy to soak cashews and blend them 😊) nutritional yeast and non dairy milk. Add seasonings to taste. The butter and nutritional yeast add a really nice rich flavor.

My sadness and craving for dairy cheese is more for things like pizza. My husband and eat a lot of pizza so it's hard having it in my face on a regular basis. But I deal with it.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I make a really good "cheese" sauce for pasta...I melt vegan butter, raw cashew butter (I'm too lazy to soak cashews and blend them 😊) nutritional yeast and non dairy milk.

that's a good idea.
My sadness and craving for dairy cheese is more for things like pizza. My husband and eat a lot of pizza so it's hard having it in my face on a regular basis. But I deal with it.
if you can make your own. try Miyokis liquid mozzarella. its hard to find around her buy you can order it and have it delivered. It is so good.

I don't make my own crust, it doesn't always come out well. but I buy the small crusts, put some mozz, sauce, Italian sausage, mushroom and olives. for some reason they recommend that the liquid mozzarella goes on below the toppings.

that's a good idea.

if you can make your own. try Miyokis liquid mozzarella. its hard to find around her buy you can order it and have it delivered. It is so good.

I don't make my own crust, it doesn't always come out well. but I buy the small crusts, put some mozz, sauce, Italian sausage, mushroom and olives. for some reason they recommend that the liquid mozzarella goes on below the toppings.
No disrespect, but there is no duplicating dairy mozzarella, especially the fresh mozzarella. I didn't like Miyoko's liquid mozz at all...it tasted like melted plastic. I still prefer Daiya shreds with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan for vegan cheese pizza.

• Agree
Reactions: silva and shyvas
I have mentioned something elsewhere, hoping nonvegan people who would consider giving up animal products will give up dairy for this, but do not remember if I mentioned this to vegans here in this forum, who if they really miss dairy cheese might benefit knowing this. The best sauce I ever taste within my living memory, which does count for something, is what I have using hummus and medium salsa in most of my cooked meals, pasta or else potato with other vegetables cut up in them generally, along with seasonings I like. I really do not think of dairy cheese anymore and this is so good, it makes that difference. The dairy cheese I thought would be hard to give up, and that I would really miss, unless I found plant-based cheese that tasted as good as it, was only an addiction. Nothing tastes that good for substituting dairy cheese, that I know of. Nutritional yeast didn't do much for flavoring, to me. But I was already using what I have for this sauce in my cooked meals and knew I was preferring it. As I recently find out other vegans don't have this approach, which doesn't matter to me much if their ways to be vegan work, I only think of saying it now for vegans who may really still miss dairy cheese and think about it still. This worked for me to think of it only as a former addiction I am glad to be over with.
Please remember everyone has different tastes, so while it may be helpful to talk about what YOU like, it's never helpful to suggest others may feel the same.
One of my biggest peeves are people insisting on their likes being liked by others, whether it's ingredients they swear you won't taste, methods of preparation, or vegan substitutes.
We definitely have different taste!

Having said that, my favorite subs for cheese in salads is olives
For sauces it's vegan mayo, nooch, lemon garlic and salt
For homemade soft cheese cashews and soy yogurt fermented
Store bought either Daiya block cheddar, Violife mozz or co jack, and FYH smoked gouda

Reactions: KLS52
No disrespect, but there is no duplicating dairy mozzarella, especially the fresh mozzarella. I didn't like Miyoko's liquid mozz at all...it tasted like melted plastic. I still prefer Daiya shreds with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan for vegan cheese pizza.
I haven't tried Miyokos, but it made me think of this recipe with it's 'mozz' like pour over topping. I thought it was very very good! I do always add some of my vegan mayo to sauces like this instead of just oil

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
A non-dairy cheese story.

This may become an envolving story that will last a while. So I was tempted to make a new thread for it. but it may be a story that is over right now - so for now I'm putting it here.

So the story so far...

There is a foodie awards contest called the Good Foods Awards. I'm not sure how prestigious an award this is but what sets it apart is that it considers good taste with "responsible practices".

The story starts in January when Good Foods announces the finalists. Among the finalists is a nondairy cheese, a bleu cheese. Climax Blue made by Climax Foods.

Traditional cheese makers were shocked. Good Foods announced that IF Climax Blue did win, then a co-winner would be announced and they would create different rules for next year.

Then last week (April 2024), Climax Blue was quietly removed from the finalists list. No reason was given.

However, Climax Foods revealed that before Climax Blue was removed from the running - they had been notified that they were the winner.

So. Let's see where this story goes.