The Try One New Thing A Day (or Week) Thread

^^ They would stop looking like a fiddlehead if they got much bigger, I'd imagine, because they are a young leaf of a certain kind of fern? Part of the reason they are an Eastern U.S. thing, we don't have many ferns in pine forests here.

I tried a new thing. After seeing some customers at the farmer's with what looked distinctly like bolted lettuce and questioning them about it I discovered that the Taoist Hermitage sells them because you can peel the stalk and eat it and it's crisp and whatnot. Those crazy Chinese folks seem to be able to sell damn near anything at all! So I came home and harvested one of my bolted lettuce stalks and peeled it and tried it and it wasn't too shabby. I remember a friend had pickled lettuce and it was unclear what the hell that was about but it was sort of cylindrical so I bet it was bolted lettuce stalk and I'm thinking I'll probably end up pickling some bolted lettuce stalk some year.

But not this year. But maybe things have fallen together for me today. :solomnnod:

I'm going to try and improve my garden in the next few months. I'm going to read a gardening book today so that will be my new thing for today.:) I'm quite intimidated by gardening as everything I have ever tried to grow, either didn't grow, or I forgot to water it and it died.:oops:

Reactions: thefadedone
Not necessarily new but I tried two foods I dislike recently with hopes of maybe magically liking them. Sadly this was an epic fail. Quinoa and tempeh are just not for me and I will never understand how others find them to be appetizing. :yuck:

Not necessarily new but I tried two foods I dislike recently with hopes of maybe magically liking them. Sadly this was an epic fail. Quinoa and tempeh are just not for me and I will never understand how others find them to be appetizing. :yuck:

I would be open to trying tempeh again as it usually looks nice in photos but I am put off by the first time I tried it.:yuck: I could easily never taste quinoa again.

I would be open to trying tempeh again as it usually looks nice in photos but I am put off by the first time I tried it.:yuck: I could easily never taste quinoa again.

This was like the sixth time trying tempeh. I tried making it myself and eating it at a few different restaurants and I just can't find it enjoyable. Quinoa is so damn good for you so I want to like but I just can't. I find both tempeh and quinoa to be very bitter and unaestethtically appealing.

I edited the thread title because trying one new thing every day is not feasible for some people. But you are all still encouraged to try one new thing every week. :p

I tried a new path when I was out running today. It ended in nothing, and a big job to get back on an other path again...

Today we tried to new paths on our walk. The first one ended again in just nothing, and we had a good job to get back (it's not fun to just walk back again. :p ). But the second one was an excellent route to walk! About 8 km long. :)

Reactions: Everleigh and KLS52
This reminds me of "This Book Will Change Your Life". My brother and I tried it once. It was hard! But it really shakes you out of your routine. I think I'll do this with you guys.

I listen to my first podcast yesterday!

And today I found a pack with dried fruit in the shop. With no sugar etc added. Tasting so fresh and good!

Reactions: thefadedone