There are NO US holidays honoring women

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Here I am again, rabble-rousing for fun and education. :p :woo:

As far as I know, there are NO US holidays honoring specific women. Oh, yes, we have Mother's Day, and it's nice to give a bunch of flowers to your mom cause she's the greatest. But other than that, when there's a postal holiday to honor someone, it's always a man. We honor presidents., most specifically George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. We honor Martin Luther King, Jr. We honor Cesar Chavez. While these are worthy individuals to honor, they are not women.

There are 365 days in a year, 366 in a leap year. Some of them are postal holidays honoring individuals. Most of them are not holidays. So there are lots of days to pick to honor a woman.

If Congress was to establish a US holiday honoring a specific woman, who do you think she should be?

My choices:

Eleanor Roosevelt
Alice Paul
Susan B. Anthony
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Rosa Parks

Reactions: Freesia
Cesar Chavez is a CA thing and Lincoln's birthday isn't a national holiday in terms of mandatory days off for federal workers. In fact, only three official US "holidays" are named after guys and Columbus Day is questionably more about conquest than the dude. The US is loose on official holidays for historic reasons but yeah, I take your point. I'd add Angela Davis to the list.

Reactions: kazyeeqen and Spang
Freydis Eiriksdottir, the first female European to lead an expedition to the New World, nearly 500 years before that fraud, Columbus.

Edit: The two sources about her expedition are quite contradictory. One saga says she wasn't a very nice woman, and was only one of three expedition leaders. The other saga says she didn't actually lead the expedition, but says she showed much bravery (despite being pregnant!) when the expedition was attacked by natives.

Freydis Eiriksdottir, the first female European to lead an expedition to the New World, nearly 500 years before that fraud, Columbus.

Edit: The two sources about her expedition are quite contradictory. One saga says she wasn't a very nice woman, and was only one of three expedition leaders. The other saga says she didn't actually lead the expedition, but says she showed much bravery (despite being pregnant!) when the expedition was attacked by natives.

Who? :???:

Seriously, if I never heard of her until this minute, then most other Americans have never heard of her, either. (Columbus succeeded where others before him failed because he went back to Spain and told everyone and they said "Oh, goody! Whole new worlds to conquer!" and they did. That's the difference. And it's embarrassing these days to have Columbus Day to honor this guy and some people celebrate it as National Indigenous Peoples Day.)

And establishing a holiday to honor Angela Davis won't ever happen because
1. She's still alive and likely to remain so for a little while longer.
2. She's a COMMUNIST. Red blooded Amurricans don't like them nasty evil Commies.

Main criteria I believe for establishing a holiday to honor an individual are
1. They have to be dead
2. They have to have had an enormous lasting effect on the country and how we live and what we believe.
3. They have to be morally "pure". No Commies or thieves or whatnot.

Seriously, if I never heard of her until this minute, then most other Americans have never heard of her, either. (Columbus succeeded where others before him failed because he went back to Spain and told everyone and they said "Oh, goody! Whole new worlds to conquer!" and they did. That's the difference. And it's embarrassing these days to have Columbus Day to honor this guy and some people celebrate it as National Indigenous Peoples Day.)

2. She's a COMMUNIST. Red blooded Amurricans don't like them nasty evil Commies.

1. They have to be dead
2. They have to have had an enormous lasting effect on the country and how we live and what we believe.

You and your rules! State them earlier next time! I say that if Reagan and Bush can get airports when they are alive, then Angela can have her day!

Sorry IS, but Freydis Eiriksdottir doesn't get my vote. If it wasn't for the fact that she was a girl from a famous family, she'd just be another Nordic conquistador drinking mead out of a shoe.

1. They have to be dead
I think Freydis could actually become a welcome new American hero, in this day and age: She doesn't bother pretending to be pure, like so many boring types in the past. She's sort of an anti-hero, in fact quite unscrupulous, and she's tough! Sure, she had her men murder the expedition co-leaders and their men, and sure, she single-handedly murdered those other women when her men refused to do the job. But you have to remember she lived in a very different time! And she also single-handedly scared off the native hordes by wielding a shiny sword and flashing her bosom - she was clearly an impressive "broad with a sword"! This is the kind of story the new Hollywood needs to embrace.

Freydís joins an expedition to Vinland led by Þorfinnr Karlsefni. Her major part in the story is intervening in a battle between the Norse and the native Skrælingjar. The natives are mounting an attack and have driven the Norse into a retreat.
Freydis came out and saw how they were retreating. She called out, "Why run you away from such worthless creatures, stout men that ye are, when, as seems to me likely, you might slaughter them like so many cattle? Let me but have a weapon, I think I could fight better than any of you." They gave no heed to what she said. Freydis endeavoured to accompany them, still she soon lagged behind, because she was not well [pregnant]; she went after them into the wood, and the Skrælingar directed their pursuit after her. She came upon a dead man; Thorbrand, Snorri's son, with a flat stone fixed in his head; his sword lay beside him, so she took it up and prepared to defend herself therewith.

Then came the Skrælingjar upon her. She let down her sark and struck her breast with the sword. At this they were frightened, rushed off to their boats, and fled away. Karlsefni and the rest came up to her and praised her zeal. - Sephton's translation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freydís_Eiríksdóttir

I think the purity thing should be revised to "can be spun to be appealing to standardized republican values" to make Amy's qualifiers accurate for America. So yeah, no famous woman save Ayn Rand would qualify. :|

Yeah. If doing it behind the entire JL's back is platonic.

My only observation with them as a couple was from JL and Unlimited which basically was
"Hey Batman wanna hook up?"
"Nah WW, you know gotta fight crime in Gotham and prepare for everything to make up for my lack of superpowers".

Well, at least WW isn't banging Guy Gardner.

He is the second best GL.

Yeah, like that's saying much. Other notable lanterns include source material for fridge woman trope lantern, Parallax, Sinestro, boring guy who is only popular because he was on the cartoon, and alien that only existed tot die. Oh, and Old Mantern, but he's kinda different.

Um, can we get back on topic, please? :rolleyes:

Because I'd like to add to my list:
Jane Addams
Lillian D. Wald
Clara Barton

Don't be lazy. Look 'em up yourself. :p