Today's Vegan Menu (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a snack I had a persimmon, which I just tried for the first time. What a game changer! Wish I tried them earlier in their season, since it's right at the end. Won't be surprised if they're gone from the store next time I go. They're so tasty, if I had my eyes closed I would've sworn I was eating some fancy dessert.

I keep seeing persimmons pop up on a lot of recipe sites lately, so i figured they must be in season. I don't think I have ever tried one either, but I suspect they are still pretty pricy around here. Maybe I will have to give one a try as a special treat, if the grocery store has any this weekend.

They're pretty expensive here too, which is probably one of the reasons I'd never tried one before. But anyway, I highly recommend them! :) They have a texture similar to mangoes, but it's sort of cinnamony and super sweet. As I said, a lot like a dessert; tastes like something someone must have prepared.

Reactions: GingerFoxx
B - Overnight oats with chia seeds, almonds, almond milk, sliced banana and cinnamon

L - Summer Harvest Tortilla soup from the Oh She Glows cookbook. It's a lot like a santa fe salad, it has black beans, corn, cilantro, lime juice and chunks of avocado for a topping. (Plus a bunch of veggies) It's also nice and spicy. So good. Probably my favorite soup from the book so far.

D - salad consisting of spinach, green onion, Portobello mushroom (sliced and cooked in balsamic vinegar and garlic), chopped apple, walnuts, and avocado. I dressed it with balsamic vinegar.

And for a snack, I had a persimmon again. :) Just as syrupy sweet as the first one I had. Happily, they still had them at the store so I grabbed five. Ha! :D

Reactions: KLS52
B- Hot cereal and hazelnut coffee with almond milk
S- A homemade banana crunch muffin using my favorite recipe that's chock full of everything
L- Homemade soup and a sweet potato
D- Not sure yet, I still have a lot of soup left, so I might find another variation to serve it, like over pasta or something since it's more of a stew.

^I'd love to see the recipe for those banana crunch muffins if it's not too much trouble. Color me intrigued! :D

B - Apple pie oatmeal
S - ... A persimmon. Surprised? ;) Gotta enjoy them while they're here!
L - Homemade veggie burger topped with cucumber, tomato, spicy vegenaise and spinach. I normally have hummus on my veggie burgers, but we were out! Sad day. Also had a navel orange to go with it.
S - Glo Bar from the OSG cookbook.
D- African Peanut Stew. First time I tried out this recipe. So delicious and so different from any soup I've ever had! :)

I'm pretty much a walking advertisement for the Oh She Glows blog and cookbook. Everything on there save the persimmon and orange were out of the book. Haha :)

^I'd love to see the recipe for those banana crunch muffins if it's not too much trouble. Color me intrigued! :D
I can put my hands on the original recipe, but it's not vegan and it has probably twice the oil and sugar as the version I now make. I will get back to you on this, hopefully later today...

S- A chocolate zucchini muffin and an apple
L- Leftover gumbo and a sweet potato
D- Not sure yet. I still have so much gumbo left. Either I will be having more for dinner, or I might just portion and freeze the leftovers. Leaning toward the latter.

S- A persimmon
L- Some soup I resurrected from the freezer (I think it's some sort of veggie bisque with red curry) and dumplings
D- Got some cashews soaking to make some cheese sauce. Planning to have that over some roasted broccoli and mushrooms, not sure what else.

^Alright! A persimmon! What'd you think? :)

B - Apple pie oatmeal
L - Homemade veggie burger and a banana
S - mandarin orange
D - Probably left over African Peanut soup

^Alright! A persimmon! What'd you think? :)
Pretty tasty, actually. They were 70 cents at the grocery store, but there were only three on the shelf and the other two were damaged. I would buy some again. I might if they have any better selection next time.

The funny thing is when I was on holiday in Egypt I kept seeing persimmons everywhere, by I didn't know what they were at that point. I had never seen or heard of one before in my life!

Since coming back they've been mentioned on here multiple times - so strange. Now I wish I'd tried one while away because I've never seen them over here (in the uk.)

- oats, chia seeds, pea protein, almond milk, pb, blueberries & walnuts.

- soy hazelnut latte

- houmous & salad sandwich on pumpkin bread. 9 bar nutty. Banana.

- spirulina & ginseng bounce ball (pre workout.)

- mixed leaf salad with quinoa, bulgur wheat, avocado, peppers, avocado & corn on the cob.

- 2 rice cakes with houmous. Rum & raisin dark chocolate .

I'm still hungry. Lol.

- oats, chia seeds, pea protein, almond milk, pb, blueberries & walnuts.

- soy hazelnut latte

- houmous & salad sandwich on pumpkin bread. 9 bar nutty. Banana.

- spirulina & ginseng bounce ball (pre workout.)

- mixed leaf salad with quinoa, bulgur wheat, avocado, peppers, avocado & corn on the cob.

- 2 rice cakes with houmous. Rum & raisin dark chocolate .

I'm still hungry. Lol.
Girl after my own heart, lol

Haha, that is quite the coincidence! Too bad you didn't try one, Raggle. Well if you ever see them kicking around, give them a go :)

B - Tofu scramble with tomato, zucchini, red pepper, cauliflower, celery, spinach, carrots, black olives, almonds and parsley.
L - Spiced red lentil kale soup (from the OSG book) as well as a small side salad of tomato, cucumber and spinach.
D - 'Creamy' Tomato soup with chickpea croutons (also from the OSG cookbook) and veggie burger with spiced vegenaise, hummus, cucumber, tomato and spinach.
S - A banana, and an apple

I don't usually eat that many tomatoes in one day -- although I do love them -- but I have a whole flat of vine tomatoes that were starting to get a bit old, so I thought I better get going on them, haha. :D

I'm also almost at my goal of making all Oh She Glows cookbook soups before the end of the month. All that's left is the 10-Spice Vegetable, but since I've been eating soup 1-2 times a day for the past couple weeks, I think I'm going to take a bit of a break and make that one near the end of the month. (especially since I still have tons of left over soups in the freezer...) Also because making the soups is making me neglect some veggies that I really don't want to spoil in the meantime.

B- Hot cereal and gingerbread coffee with almond milk
S- An apple and a blueberry soy yogurt
L- Some pot-pie inspired casserole I improvised yesterday. Has sweet potato, turnip, carrot, celery, mushrooms, onion and tofu cubes in a gravy made with veggie broth, light canned coconut milk, herbs and spices.
D- Vegan gumbo over steamed millet, made using a slight variation of this recipe.

Wow, that casserole sounds fantastic!

This is yesterday's:

B - Overnight oats with chia seeds, banana, and almond milk
L - Leftover Curry Cauliflower soup
D - Cabbage rolls! First time I ever made them :D I was quite happy with how they turned out considering. They were stuffed with green lentils, brown rice, tons of veggies, and topped with tomato sauce. Also had a side of homemade yam fries.
Snack: Apple, mandarin orange
Today's:

B - Overnight oats with chia seeds, banana and almond milk
L - Leftover cabbage rolls and steamed green beans
D - Dinner will be leftover chili
Snack: A persimmon

B - Overnight oats with chia seeds, banana, and almond milk (my standard work breakfast. It's clear that I've been working early a lot this past week, haha)
L - Leftover tortilla soup
D - Roasted chickpeas, brown rice, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, avocado, and cherry tomatoes with garlic hummus for a sauce and plenty of turmeric.
Snacks: A persimmon, and a mandarin orange

Reactions: GingerFoxx
B- Hot cereal and gingerbread coffee
S- Chocolate mint tea and two homemade cookies, one a ginger molasses and the other a oat cashew thumbprint cookie with pumpkin butter. Also a green apple
L- The last of my veggie pot pie casserole
D-Zucchini noodles, diced tomato, sauteed oyster mushrooms, roasted string beans and a couple Gardein crispy chicken tenders drizzled with tahini

Reactions: Oasis
B: Couple of crisp bread with Tartex
L: Not sure yet.
D: Nutroast with mapel syrup roasted potatoes, brusselsprouts and red wine sauce
Dessert: Rice cream pudding with strawberry sauce

Reactions: Second Summer
Today is my private Christmas feast! I found the Gardein Holiday Roast at Target. Having mashed potatoes, sweet potato, green beans, homemade cranberry sauce, apple pie and crescent rolls. And my special treat is the So Delicious coconut ice cream!

Reactions: PTree15 and Oasis
Status
Not open for further replies.