TOFU *Dun dun dun!*

I'm so lazy I make tofu scramble or just bake it in the oven usually or I buy it already marinated and use it in stir fries or sandwiches.:D

Recipe?:)

It's super easy to make.

Melt 2 cups of chocolate chips with 1/3 cup amaretto liquor. Stir in 1 tsp vanilla. Blend 1 block silken tofu (get out as much water as possible) with 1 Tbl maple syrup (or agave) and the chocolate mixture. I use an immersion blender. Pour it into a bowl to set for a few hours or overnight. Then just stir it up and spoon into cups or bowls. It's yummy in a parfait.

Reactions: Freesia and KLS52
A local Chinese restaurant makes a dish of tofu and mixed vegetables which I could practically live on, but I haven't figured out how to cook Chinese style from scratch yet, although I've tried every now and then. This restaurant's staff are knowledgeable about the finer points of vegetarianism and veganism too, so they'll tell you about the oyster in their dark sauce and make it with a different sauce if you ask.

I've crumbled tofu into brown rice I'm cooking along with vegetables- it doesn't add much flavor, but does add protein. I made a dish which was meant to make tofu into a sort of fish fry, but the recipe called for nutritional yeast and I think I used brewer's instead. BIG mistake. I ate it anyway, as I hate to waste food and it wasn't going to make me physically ill if I ate it, but it was dissapointing.

A local Chinese restaurant makes a dish of tofu and mixed vegetables which I could practically live on, but I haven't figured out how to cook Chinese style from scratch yet, although I've tried every now and then. This restaurant's staff are knowledgeable about the finer points of vegetarianism and veganism too, so they'll tell you about the oyster in their dark sauce and make it with a different sauce if you ask.

I think the secret to the amazing Chinese style tofu is the deep frying. They fry it so it's crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.

I've crumbled tofu into brown rice I'm cooking along with vegetables- it doesn't add much flavor, but does add protein. I made a dish which was meant to make tofu into a sort of fish fry, but the recipe called for nutritional yeast and I think I used brewer's instead. BIG mistake. I ate it anyway, as I hate to waste food and it wasn't going to make me physically ill if I ate it, but it was dissapointing.

I'm Chinese so I think I will pass on my superior Chinese cooking knowledge to you, youngling.

HAHA J.K. I am pretty much only Asian on the outside.

But my Chinese dad did teach me to cook. Here's a basic way of making yummy tofu, quick!

Start with a hot pan, add a tablespoon of vegetable oil, 2 or 3 cloves of minced garlic, and a couple thin slices of ginger. If you want it salty, you can add 1/4 a teaspoon of salt here. Yea, it spits and the spits can jump out and burn your arm, but Asian style cooking is hardcore like that. Quickly add in your cubed medium firm tofu. Let it sizzle for a few seconds then toss or flip them with a spatula. Keep doing that until all the sides have had a turn. Add that to your brown rice and veggies.

If you want a clear sauce, after removing the tofu to a serving dish (or your rice, whatevs), mix 2 teaspoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water until dissolved. Then add that to the still-hot pad that you cooked the tofu in. There should be some garlic and ginger sticking to the pan. Whisk that up and the residual heat should cook the cornstarch solution into a sauce. Add salt/soy sauce to taste.

has anyone every crumbled tofu up and browned it and used it as ground meat (mince)? I can't eat wheat and most premade mince has some wheat in it. Could you brown it and then use it like mince in somehting like spag bol?

has anyone every crumbled tofu up and browned it and used it as ground meat (mince)? I can't eat wheat and most premade mince has some wheat in it. Could you brown it and then use it like mince in somehting like spag bol?
I've tried this but only once as I didn't have anything close to tasty results. I've used TVP for this though and it worked out great. It's just soy protein and doesn't have wheat.

I just had extra firm tofu that was frozen and then de-frosted and put in tom yum soup. I haven't decided whether I like it or not though. The texture is interesting; spongy. Might be better if I marinate it first then freeze it.... Has anyone done this or have tricks using frozen tofu?

Is that store bought or do you make it?

I made tofu ricotta a few times. Then I saw it in my local grocery store, tried it and didn't like it at all. I ended up throwing it out...it was expensive, too. :( I went back to making it myself. So far I only used it for lasagna. I even have omni friends who love my lasagna. :)

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
I've tried this but only once as I didn't have anything close to tasty results. I've used TVP for this though and it worked out great. It's just soy protein and doesn't have wheat.
thanks--in the past i have tended to avoid TVP--not sure why--I just worried that it was over processed. But may need to try it again--we need to save ££££ and that could cut back our food bill. thanks

I made tofu ricotta a few times. Then I saw it in my local grocery store, tried it and didn't like it at all. I ended up throwing it out...it was expensive, too. :( I went back to making it myself. So far I only used it for lasagna. I even have omni friends who love my lasagna. :)

Yep I always make my own also. I read mostly negative reviews about the store bought ricotta. Most of the reviewers say it tastes like paste.:hurl:

I just had extra firm tofu that was frozen and then de-frosted and put in tom yum soup. I haven't decided whether I like it or not though. The texture is interesting; spongy. Might be better if I marinate it first then freeze it.... Has anyone done this or have tricks using frozen tofu?

I always freeze my tofu unless I'm making a scramble or ricotta. I don't like soft tofu any other way so it usually goes straight in my freezer once I buy it. I marinate it after it defrosts. Frozen tofu has a much better texture than non frozen imo.

Reactions: SuicideBlonde