Tofu V Seitan

View attachment 11954

I received the wheat gluten ( 5 kg) yesterday and have am just making my very first batch. I can't wait to see the results.

It is so much cheaper than the wheat gluten that I usually buy at the organic store so fingers crossed.;)

The seitan came out well. I'm delighted with the wheat gluten that I have ordered and will see how long the 5 kg bag will last. I have placed it into 3 containers and have stored them in my cupboard in the garage.

Reactions: PTree15
I was wondering whether any of you keep the seitan immersed in the stock as stated in all the recipes ? I have done both ; in stock and without and can't see the difference.

''Transfer the seitan to storage containers and add enough broth/stock to the containers to keep the seitan immersed.''

I was wondering whether any of you keep the seitan immersed in the stock as stated in all the recipes ? I have done both ; in stock and without and can't see the difference.

''Transfer the seitan to storage containers and add enough broth/stock to the containers to keep the seitan immersed.''
I prefer seitan simmered right in the broth, my son prefers it wrapped in foil and steamed, so I alternate. When I do right in the broth, I will keep it in the liquid till ready to use, or if I use the broth right away I will wrap the rest of seitan.

Anyone here make their own tofu? I have, and it's a pain, but it is one of the most delicious foods! Easy to infuse flavors right in it.

I prefer seitan simmered right in the broth, my son prefers it wrapped in foil and steamed, so I alternate. When I do right in the broth, I will keep it in the liquid till ready to use, or if I use the broth right away I will wrap the rest of seitan.

I just have stated once it is cooked. All the recipes state that the cooked seitan should be immersed in stock before stored.

I have also tried both methods and prefer it to be simmered in stock rather than placed in foil.

If I simmer, or bake in foil, I keep it wrapped in foil or a plastic bag. Never thought to put it in stock

If I simmer, or bake in foil, I keep it wrapped in foil or a plastic bag. Never thought to put it in stock

Same here. I have a Martha Stewart container with a rack. I just place the seitan onto the rack and it keeps for several day in the fridge. Virtually all the recipes state that it should be conserved in the stock. Even shop bought seitan contains the latter.