Tofu V Seitan

I am lucky that I like both, and it really depends on which one I am in the mood for. I also must try the pesto tofu sandwich. I have never thought to pair pesto with tofu.

I really disliked and disagreed with her tofu comparison! I did not like eggs, and while I love tofu scramble, it doesn't remind me of scrambled eggs. Tofu like angel food cake? No. I'd liken regular tofu to chicken

I like both, but find tofu is more versatile and easy for me to work with. However, I try to keep my soy intake to a minimum due to thyroid issues (a few servings a week average is ok). I have really only mastered a few recipes with vital wheat gluten/seitan homemade so I don't eat it very often either, maybe once a month or so. I don't like commercial prepared seitan much. I am more of a dried beans person, and eat those daily. Tempeh I eat maybe several times a month. Lentils I eat four or five servings a week. Chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans, lima beans/peas, and white or navy beans I alternate and eat several servings daily and have for years. I never tire of beans. :) And mushrooms I could live on lol.

I would eat tofu and drink soy milk a lot more if it didn't drive up my TSH and cause my thyroid meds to not work as well. If I just space it out and eat it a few times a week no big deal but not daily.

I was never a big meat eater and I remember even when I was very young being repulsed by a lot of meat. I remember refusing to eat red meat at the dinner table when I was little, and my Mom yelling at me for being picky. When I was an omni I would force myself to eat a lot of fish, eggs, occasional bird meat because it was "healthy" but I didn't enjoy it all that much. I couldn't stand the texture and smell of a lot of the tougher meats. The texture of eggs never bothered me, but the yolk would sometimes gross me out lol. I would eat hard boiled eggs a lot back in the day as a snack or with breakfast.

I could seriously eat the extra firm tofu plain, as is.

I love tofu (hated it for years until I learned how to cook it lol). My favorite is jerk tofu with Jamaican spices. Mmmmm. I haven't developed a taste for seitan as much, but have bought the seasoned pre-made and liked it ok.

I love tofu (hated it for years until I learned how to cook it lol). My favorite is jerk tofu with Jamaican spices. Mmmmm. I haven't developed a taste for seitan as much, but have bought the seasoned pre-made and liked it ok.
Mmmm, jerk tofu is awesome. There is a vegan/veggie place not far from me called Fire and Spice, and it has excellent jerk tofu. I've never made it, though.

Reactions: ledboots
I like both, too, but I am a little more partial to tofu. Maybe because I don't really like the premade seitan and I'm too lazy to make it myself. The seitan from the store is always too heavily seasoned with soy sauce and I don't always want to taste soy sauce with every seitan dish I make. Sometimes I rinse it and simmer it in water to get out the heavy soy sauce taste.

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots
Last night was a tofu treat night lol. I blended some extra firm tofu with SoDelicious coconut yogurt and strawberries for a very thick rich yogurt/pudding mixture.

I like both, too, but I am a little more partial to tofu. Maybe because I don't really like the premade seitan and I'm too lazy to make it myself. The seitan from the store is always too heavily seasoned with soy sauce and I don't always want to taste soy sauce with every seitan dish I make. Sometimes I rinse it and simmer it in water to get out the heavy soy sauce taste.
Since I've been making my own seitan, I haven't touched any premade stuff. I wasn't that big a fan of it, as I thought most of it was rather bland and didn't soak up the spices the way homemade seitan does. I do agree that some brands are soy-sauce heavy. Homemade is so much better!

Reactions: KLS52
Since I've been making my own seitan, I haven't touched any premade stuff. I wasn't that big a fan of it, as I thought most of it was rather bland and didn't soak up the spices the way homemade seitan does. I do agree that some brands are soy-sauce heavy. Homemade is so much better!

Agree. Nothing tastes better (or is cheaper) than homemade seitan.

Reactions: PTree15
I like seitan for sandwiches, or breaded and fried for schnitzel type dishes.

I love tofu for its amazing versatility.

Have you ever tasted homemade seitan Led ? It is quite different to any shop bought. All the ones that I have tasted are made with lots of soya sauce and have a very unappatising gravy. Moreover seitan is very expensive and it works out much cheaper to make your own.

This is a very motivating thread, as i must confess, i've never tried seitan:ooal:. But i'm determined to buy it when i get my june paycheck:rolleyes:

Wheat Gluten.jpg

I received the wheat gluten ( 5 kg) yesterday and have am just making my very first batch. I can't wait to see the results.

It is so much cheaper than the wheat gluten that I usually buy at the organic store so fingers crossed.;)

Reactions: Val