Trapped Gas Bloating

Ah, yes, the hummus trap => I've fallen into that one a number of times. In the moment of getting food (buying in a shop or ordering in a restaurant) I often forget all the things I need to avoid. I'll remember one then let slide another, and then there's trouble!

Back to the topic of bloating: One thing that helps me a lot is making sure my clothes are not too tight. Sounds insignificant, but it helps! Now, during cold months, it is easier, I just don't tighten my belt (and keep my belt line covered with a sweater/ jumper). During warmer seasons I wear suspenders/ braces.
Also, when I have had a dose of something I know will not go down well (like garlic) I take, uh, charcoal pills (?) in French charbon active.
Cheers,
Tom
Loose clothing is an absolute must! Thank the heavens for empire cut dresses and tops as well as leggings. If I wear anything confining around my waist, I'll bloat more. It's painful, too. Doesn't take long to start thinking elastic waist anything paired with lack of discomfort is far sexier than a corset. Ha! If my husband bought me something corseted, I'd be like 'You're going to look lovely in that, because that's the closest it's getting to me.'

I've never tried carbon, but I do use (topically) a mixture of fennel, ginger and black pepper essential oils blended with jojoba oil that helps with bloating and spasms. It might be psychosomatic; I'm not here to convince anyone to use EOs, but it helps me a lot.

Loose clothing is an absolute must! Thank the heavens for empire cut dresses and tops as well as leggings. If I wear anything confining around my waist, I'll bloat more. It's painful, too. Doesn't take long to start thinking elastic waist anything paired with lack of discomfort is far sexier than a corset. Ha! If my husband bought me something corseted, I'd be like 'You're going to look lovely in that, because that's the closest it's getting to me.'

I've never tried carbon, but I do use (topically) a mixture of fennel, ginger and black pepper essential oils blended with jojoba oil that helps with bloating and spasms. It might be psychosomatic; I'm not here to convince anyone to use EOs, but it helps me a lot.
I use an Indonesian oil called Minyak Telon, which is sold to use on babies. It is a mixture of fennel oil and kayu putih oil (Indonesian cousin of eucalyptus). Similar to your mix: fennel plus heating elements. I also use it topically, including a short tummy massage. Helps a lot for me, too.

I’ll pass on the empire cut dresses, for now. Trying to be vegan seems to be shocking enough for people I know for the moment!

• Friendly
Reactions: MoreGreens
I'm happy to discuss digestive health because so many keep quiet out of embarrassment. I had some hard years and wouldn't wish them on anyone. Sharing what I know, so others can have a better quality of life, is the least I can do to pay back the people who helped me.

I hope this thread helps you!

This thread has certainly proved to be very helpful. I also have put into practice not to stack too many culprits during the course of the day. The worst ones for me being pulses/legumes and onions.

:up:

The following links contains some interesting facts; Fodmaps:

Hi

"Mention my bloating saviour : fennel seed herbal tea. - Great."

I will put some fennel seeds in tonight roasted vegetable I have in the oven.

Anyone had success with peppermint teas?

Cheers

Fennel seeds (ground) really make my spaghetti sauce. It goes from plain tomato sauce to spaghetti sauce that reminds me of an italian grandma's sauce after hours of slaving away at the stove. Also, fennel seeds covered in candy, are often served with indian meals and these are available at online sellers. Chew a couple for after meals, seems to help. In our area of the world, Wisconsin USA, fennel is often part of italian sausages and sausages are very common here. Wisconsin is known for brats and beer, and italian sausages are almost always a part of a barbecue get together.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I had this. I struggled for years. Tried everything. Doctors just kept giving me all of these stomach medications that didn't work. The Natural ones didn't work, either. The only way I found out that I had SIBO, was that I had developed a really bad dental infection. I spent 21 days on the strongest antibiotics available. I took probiotics afterward. Apparently, the antibiotics took care of the dental infection, and the SIBO.

I haven't had a problem since.

They have tests for SIBO, but most doctors don't look for it unless you specifically ask for it.

Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), also termed bacterial overgrowths, or small bowel bacterial overgrowth syndrome (SBBOS), is a disorder of excessive bacterial growth in the small intestine. Unlike the colon (or large bowel), which is rich with bacteria, the small bowel usually has fewer than 10,000 organisms per millilitre.[2] Patients with bacterial overgrowth typically develop symptoms including nausea, bloating, vomiting, diarrhea, malnutrition, weight loss and malabsorption,[3] which is caused by a number of mechanisms.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou