Vegan to eat meat from dumpster diving?

Sorry, but that sounds a bit like a convenient excuse to me.....

That would be like claiming that their normal food, that they sell to their patrons, is healthy and great at 13:00, but a health hazard by 17:00 hours. Yeah, right.

It's not that. It's the ability to keep the leftover food from spoiling while it's transported and stored that keeps many potential food donors from helping out, because they're afraid that if people get sick from their food, they'll be blamed for failing to keep the food safe. There's also the concern of holding onto the food before it's donated to someone who'd distribute it to those who need it.

I dug out two columns that I vaguely recalled reading by David Lazarus, an LA Times consumer columnist, one from 2010 and one from 2013 that address what I was saying in my previous post. As you can see, many potential donors - and distributors - want to do the right thing, but have too many concerns about it.

Leftovers for the needy: It's not that hard

Seeking a solution to wasted food

I always wonder why supermarkets have so much food that has to be binned. I wonder who does the logistics when placing orders ?

These are some of the reasons... according to: http://www.nrdc.org/food/files/wasted-food-ip.pdf

National Resources Defense Council said:
Some of the main drivers for in-store retail losses include:

Overstocked product displays.
Most retail stores operate under the assumption that customers buy more from brimming, fully stocked displays, preferring to choose their apples from a towering pile rather than from a scantly filled bin. This leads to overstocking and overhandling by both staff and customers and damage to items on the bottom from the accumulated weight.

Expectation of cosmetic perfection.
Many customers select stores based on the quality of perishables, and therefore retailers feel compelled to have only produce of perfect shape, size, and color—leading to much of the culling discussed above.

Pack sizes that are too large.
Produce arrives in preset quantities according to case size. This limits the flexibility for produce buyers to purchase exactly the amount needed. For example, if a grocer wants 50 grapefruit but they come in cases of 80, the store is then stuck with 30 extras.

Availability of fresh, ready food until closing.
Stores are increasingly offering more prepared, ready-made food in their delicatessens and buffets. On the one hand, this can be a good way to make use of marginally damaged or nearly expired products if the labor is available to do so. However, as with produce, store managers often feel compelled that displays of ready-made items remain fresh and fully stocked instead of letting shelves hold fewer items as they run out. Rotisserie chickens, for instance, might be thrown away and replaced after four hours on display. One grocer estimated that his store threw away a full 50 percent of the rotisserie chickens that were prepared, many of those from the last batch of the day. Ready-made food makes up a large portion of food lost at convenience stores, which discard approximately 25 percent of their food products.

Expired “sell by” dates.
Products are discarded when sell by dates—almost none of which are regulated by law—are near. Different from use by or best by dates (see section on reducing expiration-date confusion that follows), sell by dates are designed to help the store with stocking and ensure freshness to consumers. One industry expert estimated supermarkets on average discard $2,300 per store worth of out-of-date food every day. Almost all of this food is still consumable but may have a limited shelf life left. In most states, it is not illegal to sell product after the sell by date, but stores don’t do so out of concern that their image of carrying fresh products will be damaged. Most stores, in fact, pull items 2 to 3 days before the sell-by date. Damaged goods, outdated promotional products, and unpopular items. Products are also discarded due to damaged packaging or promotions that have passed (postholiday discards are most common, but other time-sensitive products may go to waste as well). In addition, many of the 19,000 or so new food products placed on grocery store shelves each year46 are not popular with consumers and may be discarded when they fail to sell. In addition to in-store waste, this can lead to large volumes of overruns leftwith the manufacturer without a market.

Another item ... I personally cringe when I see somebody getting up from dinner and leaving behind a half-full plate.

My parents raised me according to the maxim "What is put on the table, gets eaten" (Ok, not the best starting point for turning vegan), as they had their childhood during or shortly after WWII and experienced food shortages.

My wife usually complains when I ask my kids to either finish what they have on their plates, or, even better, not pile them too high in the first place. "Oh no, they will get fat. No, you don't have to do what your father says, simply leave it behind :mad:"

I absolutely loathe the mentality displayed by many people when attending buffet lunches, to pile their plates full on suspicion that something might be delicious, and then simply sample it and leave it over if they do not like it. But I am afraid that this mentality is getting more common.

My wife has frequently chided me for politely suggesting to other people's kids that they might start with a first plate, take small samples of what they think they want to eat, and then return and take more if they like it. (I try to cloak that into a "Hey, watch out, they have a policy here that you have to pay some fine if you do not finish your plate ... so maybe do this first ..." )

My wife insists that "You CAN NOT tell this to other peoples kids. It is rude. If their parents wish to tell them, they can do it..." In those cases, I typically tell my own kids in an embarrassing loud voice and enjoy the picture in my mind of myself banging the other parent's heads together instead..... Yeah, that would be me in grumpy old vegan mode...

Last edited:
It's not that. It's the ability to keep the leftover food from spoiling while it's transported and stored that keeps many potential food donors from helping out, because they're afraid that if people get sick from their food, they'll be blamed for failing to keep the food safe.

@Amy SF , actually the interesting article you shared addressed that issue...

Unfortunately, California's restaurant industry has come out with guns blazing any time a lawmaker has had the temerity to suggest that maybe we should require businesses to donate leftover food to those who need it.

"There's a big concern among some restaurants about the legal liability," said Daniel Conway, a spokesman for the California Restaurant Assn. "There's a real feeling that one lawsuit could wipe a restaurant out."

The fear, of course, is that donated food could go bad and make people sick. But there's an answer to that.

A federal law, the Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act, was passed in 1996. It shields individuals and organizations from civil and criminal liability when food is donated to a nonprofit group.

To run afoul of the law, a donor would have to commit an act of "gross negligence," defined as "voluntary and conscious conduct" that is "likely to be harmful to the health or well-being of another person."

What remains is the other part ... it would be more work for them, that they currently do not have to do.

My siblings and I were also raised to finish everything on our plates. We were told that there were children starving in China, so not finishing our meals would be wasteful. Because every kid we knew was told the same kind of thing, we thought that kind of awareness and upbringing was universal, but perhaps it's not.

Reactions: Andy_T
@Amy SF , actually the interesting article you shared addressed that issue...

What remains is the other part ... it would be more work for them, that they currently do not have to do.

It isn't just the "more work" for them, either. One chain of grocery stores, when asked why they don't donate, actually said that doing so could cut into its profits because "people would just wait for the free stuff."' SIGH.

Sorry, but that sounds a bit like a convenient excuse to me.....

That would be like claiming that their normal food, that they sell to their patrons, is healthy and great at 13:00, but a health hazard by 17:00 hours. Yeah, right.
It's ok...it's not my opinion, just what I keep hearing from people at work (Health Department). :)

We were told that there were children starving in China

Hmm, if I remember it correctly, in my case it was the starving children in Africa :D

Reminds me of the joke (don't know if it survives my translation to English intact)

Mother: Johnny, go on, finish your noodles!
The children in Africa would be so happy, if they only had half as much of those noodles as you have!!!

Johnny: Me, too!

It isn't just the "more work" for them, either. One chain of grocery stores, when asked why they don't donate, actually said that doing so could cut into its profits because "people would just wait for the free stuff."' SIGH.

Yes, I was very much suspecting that!

796e21e427dcd9597caea07a8aad0639.jpg

I was never forced to eat up my food. Only thing I had to do, was to taste the food. Not allowed to "not like" anything without tasting... But I was brought up on mostly canned and dry food. :p