Nutrition & Diet Vitamin B12 - Recommended Dosage ?

The B-12 tablets I get are faintly sweet, but I don't think they have any other flavor to speak of. If they were cherry-flavored I might have to restrain myself from munching the whole bottle.

Reactions: Freesia
does anyone else use a dosset box(pill box)? The sort with the days of the week on them(until that rubs off).

Because you have to chew Veg1, I have a separate dosset box for them, as I swallow the other stuff.....I keep forgetting the veg1...

I think my multi vit pill has b12 in, so perhaps it doesn't matter too much.

does anyone else use a dosset box(pill box)? The sort with the days of the week on them(until that rubs off).

Because you have to chew Veg1, I have a separate dosset box for them, as I swallow the other stuff.....I keep forgetting the veg1...

I think my multi vit pill has b12 in, so perhaps it doesn't matter too much.

I have one but all my pills are chewable.

I've been surfing the internet and it is said in many sources that vegans should take 2.4 micrograms of B 12 daily (for example this article with tips for healthy vegan diet). I used to take multivitamins but their benefits are not yet proven, and B12 is probably the only vitamin that vegans lack. Moreover, I also have issues swallowing pills so now I only take sublingual vitamin B12

Amessa, welcome to VV! There are alternatives to swallowing pills such as chewable tablets (e.g. Veg1 available from The Vegan Society in the UK) and B12 sprays.

I recently bought Nature Made B12 (it looks vegan from the ingredients, but what do I know) and each tablet is 500 mcg. Instructions (or actually Suggested Use) say to take one tablet a day with a meal.

I'm taking Jarrow formulas Methyl B-12 1000 mcg. The label says vegan, but I still checked the ingredients.

I'm taking Jarrow formulas Methyl B-12 1000 mcg. The label says vegan, but I still checked the ingredients.

Is 1000 mcg recommended on the label or do you just double up? I've seen dosages at 500 mcg, 1000 mcg, and higher. Even though I currently take 1 pill at 500 mcg, should I double up and take 2 a day? What are the dangers (if any) of taking larger amounts of B12?

The tablets are 1000 mcg each. There isn't any danger in taking too much. B12 is water soluble and what you don't absorb is just washed out.

If you're taking Cyanocobalamin (the most common form), how much is absorbed mainly depends on how much intrinsic factor you have. The intrinsic factor binds to the B12 and anything left over is excreted. It's then converted into Methylcobalamin.

Since I'm not able to absorb it (possibly due to lack of intrinsic factor), I take Methyl B12 (Methylcobalamin) which is already converted, so the amount of intrinsic factor doesn't matter.

I have two questions:

1. If someone had a B12 absorption problem would that hold true for vegetarians/vegans as well as non-vegetarians?

2. Does anyone know why you are supposed to put B12 under the tongue? I get that it's so it will dissolve with regard to tablets, but I have the liquid and it still says to put under tongue for 30 seconds before swallowing.

I have two questions:

1. If someone had a B12 absorption problem would that hold true for vegetarians/vegans as well as non-vegetarians?

2. Does anyone know why you are supposed to put B12 under the tongue? I get that it's so it will dissolve with regard to tablets, but I have the liquid and it still says to put under tongue for 30 seconds before swallowing.

Many elderly people are deficient in B12 and have suffer from mental fuzziness.

Placing the pill (homeophatic pills also) under the tongue gives a better absorption of the product.

Reactions: Calliegirl
There are a few reasons that anyone (veg or not) can have a deficiency.

Vitamin B12 deficiency can have a number of possible causes. Typically it occurs in people whose digestive systems do not adequately absorb the vitamin from the foods they eat. This can be caused by:
  • Pernicious anemia, a condition in which there is a lack of a protein called intrinsic factor. The protein, which is made in the stomach, is necessary for vitamin B12 absorption.
  • Atrophic gastritis, a thinning of the stomach lining that affects up to 30% of people aged 50 and older.
  • Surgery in which part of the stomach and/or small intestine is removed.
  • Conditions affecting the small intestine, such as Crohn's disease, celiac disease, bacterial growth, or a parasite.
  • Excessive alcohol consumption.
  • Autoimmune disorders, such as Graves' disease or systemic lupuserythematosus
  • Long-term use of acid-reducing drugs.
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/vitamin-b12-deficiency-symptoms-causes

I dissolve mine ON my tongue. Because it tastes good. Is there a reason I should put it underneath instead?
Yes, because some of it absorbs into the bloodstream through the veins under your tongue, and since B12 is poorly absorbed intestinally, it is good to take them sublingually. One note though, if the specific brand isn't sublingual, it won't dissolve right.

Karen, intrinsic factor is missing or low in some people, and they can't absorb B12 through the intestine, so they need injections. It is pernicious anemia, and irrespective of veg status. ;)