Nutrition & Diet Vitamin B12 - Recommended Dosage ?

I take two sublinguals a day. I can't remember the dose since I'm currently out of them. All the supplements and vitamins I take are chewables since I have issues swallowing big pills. I am also much more consistent about taking them when they are in chewable form because it's like eating candy.:D
I take vegan chewable children's vitamins because I don't do well with swallowing large pills either. Plus they seem easier on my stomach.

B12, I take 3000 or 4000mcg when I think about it. I try at least once a week. I have had my level checked and it was fine.

Reactions: thefadedone
The tablets are 1000 mcg each. There isn't any danger in taking too much. B12 is water soluble and what you don't absorb is just washed out.

If you're taking Cyanocobalamin (the most common form), how much is absorbed mainly depends on how much intrinsic factor you have. The intrinsic factor binds to the B12 and anything left over is excreted. It's then converted into Methylcobalamin.

Since I'm not able to absorb it (possibly due to lack of intrinsic factor), I take Methyl B12 (Methylcobalamin) which is already converted, so the amount of intrinsic factor doesn't matter.

That is what I thought. I have just got my blood test results back and my levels of B12 are too high ; 1 097 pmol/1.The biologist told me to stop taking the supplements as it wasn't safe to have too much B12.

I don't take b12 supplements. I do eat b12 fortified foods, like cereal. My blood tests every year show normal b12 levels, been vegan 11 years.

That is what I thought. I have just got my blood test results back and my levels of B12 are too high ; 1 097 pmol/1.The biologist told me to stop taking the supplements as it wasn't safe to have too much B12.

That isn't too high, I've known people with levels over 2000 and they were fine. When I take the supplements regularly, I'm usually around 1200. The doctors are usually happy to see when I'm at the higher levels.

That isn't too high, I've known people with levels over 2000 and they were fine. When I take the supplements regularly, I'm usually around 1200. The doctors are usually happy to see when I'm at the higher levels.

I think that doctors are like cooks, they never agree.:p

Over here, they don't consider your b-12 low until it goes below 200, at which point you already have some serious problems. AFAIK, everywhere else its low if it goes under 400, which is more reasonable and makes it eaier to correct before problems start.

Over here, they don't consider your b-12 low until it goes below 200, at which point you already have some serious problems. AFAIK, everywhere else its low if it goes under 400, which is more reasonable and makes it eaier to correct before problems start.

I never had my levels tested before so I'm not really expert in this field. I'll see what my doctor says, even though
she isn't really a good GP.

I'm about to start taking Jarrow Methyl B12 1000mg as I bought a new batch of tablets as my old ones had run out. I actually had my B12 tested for the first time this week and it was 467 or something like that which apparently is in the normal range. It's the first time I've been tested so I was glad it seems to be fine as I've been vegan 8 years now. I think I will get it retested every couple of years.

Old thread, but I went to the pharmacy today and the only product they had with B12 was Neurobionta Duo 10,000 and it says 10,000 mcg of B12 and it's an injection. So, that is quite a large amount of B12, do you think I could take that once a month and be OK? Or is that not going to work like that with it's absorption? Any thoughts on how to space out the three capsules (each of 10,000) that I bought?

I think it's a large amount because it's designed to address people that have a deficiency already, or some disease, I don't think it's intended for vegans.

It was a small town, small pharmacy and there's probably better elsewhere, but that's what I found for now.

382 pg/mL is my level, I had it tested a week or two ago.

Old thread, but I went to the pharmacy today and the only product they had with B12 was Neurobionta Duo 10,000 and it says 10,000 mcg of B12 and it's an injection. So, that is quite a large amount of B12, do you think I could take that once a month and be OK? Or is that not going to work like that with it's absorption? Any thoughts on how to space out the three capsules (each of 10,000) that I bought?

I think it's a large amount because it's designed to address people that have a deficiency already, or some disease, I don't think it's intended for vegans.

It was a small town, small pharmacy and there's probably better elsewhere, but that's what I found for now.

I think it would be worth it to drive a bit to another pharmacy and buy tablets in bulk or something. Injections seem kind of drastic.

Reactions: ledboots

You can order B12 supplements (capsules) from iherb.com as they ship internationally. You also get a $5 discount on your fist order.
I usually place an order every 3 or 4 months. They also stock quite a large selection of health foods which are vegan.

Last edited:
It's ironic that people think only vegans need it... If you think you're getting it from meat, chances are you're wrong. Factory farmed animals are not fed fresh grass. And B12 comes from the soil.

I know three omni people who are B12 deficient and getting weekly/monthly injections from their physicians.

I just had blood work done and my levels are normal...I am eleven years in, meat free.

:D

Reactions: Naturebound1
I think it would be worth it to drive a bit to another pharmacy and buy tablets in bulk or something. Injections seem kind of drastic.

I agree, but I didn't realize it was an injection until after I'd paid for it and opened the box, so I might as well use it now. Probably go to tablets after that.

I know three omni people who are B12 deficient and getting weekly/monthly injections from their physicians.

I just had blood work done and my levels are normal...I am eleven years in, meat free.

:D

Do you eat cheese or are there any other B12 sources you might be eating?

Are you saying you have gone 11 years with no tablets, supplements, injections, fortified products etc, just eating naturally?

You can order B12 supplements (capsules) from iherb.com as they ship internationally. You also get a $5 discount on your fist order.
I usually place an order every 3 or 4 months. They also stock quite a large selection of health foods which are vegan.

Hi, I think you mean iherb.com (without a dot). I do like the look of those cherry tablets but the country I live in, Chile, is not listed. Living in a developing country like Chile is just not the same as living somewhere like the US or the UK in terms of ease of online shopping and reliability of postal services.

I'll probably find something better eventually from another pharmacy. I found there is a couple of vegan stores in the centre of Santiago. Maybe they can advise. Might go next week.

If not, I could always get some things shipped to the UK ahead of my next visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I think you mean iherb.com (without a dot). I do like the look of those cherry tablets but the country I live in, Chile, is not listed. Living in a developing country like Chile is just not the same as living somewhere like the US or the UK in terms of ease of online shopping and reliability of postal services.

I'll probably find something better eventually from another pharmacy. I found there is a couple of vegan stores in the centre of Santiago. Maybe they can advise. Might go next week.

If not, I could always get some things shipped to the UK ahead of my next visit.

Chile is listed if you scroll down on the list of countries.

Last edited:
I see it now, there appears to be a list of countries which is just a smaller list of major countries, but you scroll on and there is a second, more expensive list. OK, well I ordered some tablets. Delivery times of international post to Chile range from a week to never so let's see.

I see it now, there appears to be a list of countries which is just a smaller list of major countries, but you scroll on and there is a second, more expensive list. OK, well I ordered some tablets. Delivery times of international post to Chile range from a week to never so let's see.

Their P&P is still quite reasonable and they have special offers including trial products.