What did you Cook or Bake Today?

still doing sourdough? i can't decide if I want to try it or not.
Maybe I'll make a loaf of plain Italian for garlic bread. Or rye. 🤔
No just basic white bread in the bread machine. It does have a sourdough setting. I should try a loaf.
I am getting interested in doing a sourdough starter again. It really was fun.

Reactions: PTree15
I made a meatloaf with impossible ground "beef". I have to say it's pretty amazing. But...the smell of this product is so bad before it's cooked. I don't understand why. It's actually nauseating to me. So now I'm having a hard time enjoying it cooked. I know it's psychological. I hope I can get over it because I would hate to waste it.

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I made a meatloaf with impossible ground "beef". I have to say it's pretty amazing. But...the smell of this product is so bad before it's cooked. I don't understand why. It's actually nauseating to me. So now I'm having a hard time enjoying it cooked. I know it's psychological. I hope I can get over it because I would hate to waste it.

I agree - I can't even stand the thought of having either Impossible or Beyond because of the smell. I am so sad because I can no longer find the Future Farm ground or burgers that we so enjoyed last year. No smell and incredible taste.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I can't stand the smell of a vegan cheese called Cathedral City. It is okay eaten as you buy it, but everytime it is heated up it smells horrible to me. Some other vegan people online agreed with me. It is annoying as the taste is really good.

I was going to make a lentil cottage pie later.

They taste really good too. Could we see your recipe?

They do indeed, especially with a glass of chilled almond milk.:heart:

I can't remember the exact recipe as it was a low carb one. I usually just eyeball the ingredients and add sweetener. You wouldn't know the difference.

Reactions: PTree15
Ooooohhhh... recipe please? It was my sons birthday and he loves chocolate/peanut butter
This used to be on the Earth Balance website, but here is my copy of it:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Tunnel Cake

Peanut Butter Filling

3/4 cup Earth Balance Creamy Peanut Butter
3 tablespoons Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread
1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup Earth Balance Unsweetened Soy Milk
1 1/4 cups vegan powdered sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon corn starch

Chocolate Cake

2 cups Earth Balance Unsweetened Soy Milk (one or both cups cold)
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla
3/4 cup Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread
2 cups + 2 tablespoons vegan granulated sugar
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Optional ganache and peanut butter glaze toppings

Chocolate glaze:
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/2 cup Earth Balance Unsweetened Soy Milk

Peanut butter glaze:
1/4 cup Earth Balance Creamy Peanut Butter
1-2 tablespoons Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread
1 tablespoon agave nectar

Super optional: extra chocolate chips

Instructions:
First make the chocolate slurry for the cake so it can be cooling while you make the rest of the recipe. In a small saucepan, whisk 1 cup Earth Balance Unsweetened soy milk (save the cold cup for later) with cocoa powder and instant coffee crystals until smooth. Turn on the heat to medium and whisk occasionally until mixture begins to boil, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool while you make the peanut butter filling.

For filling: In a medium bowl, cream together Earth Balance Creamy Peanut Butter and Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread until smooth. Beat in molasses, vanilla and Earth Balance Unsweetened Soy Milk until well incorporated. Beat in powdered sugar, flour and cornstarch until smooth and creamy. Spoon filling into a large zipper bag. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and generously grease and flour a heavy duty fluted tube cake pan. (To grease a fluted tube pan, rub 1 tablespoon Earth Balance shortening all over inside of pan, taking care to apply well to the crevices in the design. Mix together 1/2 tablespoon each of cocoa powder and flour and dust all greased surfaces. Using just flour will leave white marks on the outside of your cake.)

Continue making the cake: In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.

To the chocolate slurry, add the cold cup of soy milk, vinegar and vanilla and whisk to combine. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream the Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar. Alternate beating in the dry mix and the wet mixture a little at a time. Reserve 1 cup of batter and pour the rest into the prepared pan.

Snip a corner off of the zipper bag (about an inch) and pipe filling in a circle on top of the batter. Gently cover filling with reserved cup of batter. Bake for 50 minutes. Cool in pan for 2 hours. Gently run a small thin spatula or knife around all edges of the pan. Shake the pan from side to side so you can feel that the cake has loosened from the pan. Invert a plate or platter on the pan and quickly flip over to unmold cake. If the pan was well greased and floured, the cake should un-mold perfectly. If not, the toppings can cover imperfections.

For optional ganache topping: Heat Earth Balance Unsweetened Soy Milk over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips. Set aside to make peanut butter glaze.

For peanut butter glaze: Heat Earth Balance Creamy Peanut Butter, Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread and agave nectar in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth and melted.

Spoon toppings over cake. Let toppings cool. Slice into cake for a tunnel of gooey peanut butter goodness! Enjoy!

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and silva
Thank you so much! I can do that!
I did a search and found your link, which brought up an "Oops-not found". Always sad when you save a link and it doesn't come up.

Thank you so much! I can do that!
I did a search and found your link, which brought up an "Oops-not found". Always sad when you save a link and it doesn't come up.
You're welcome! Yeah, for some reason it's not on the internet anymore. I'm glad I saved it to a document. :)

Reactions: Tom L.
Not food, but I made laundry detergent with bar soap, epsom salt and baking soda last night.
Zote? :laughing:. I bought that pink bar yearssss ago with the plan of doing that! Never did...
How'd it turn out? I remember the tip to microwave the bar till it puffs up and it will crumble into powder

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52