What did you eat for Dinner/Supper today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a really early dinner: whole wheat penne with marinara sauce and nutritional yeast.

Reactions: Veganite
@hopeful

I love Thai food! We have several awesome Thai restaurants here in Vancouver. I have a recipe I posted a while ago that is the signature dish at this Thai place here. If you like Thai stir-fries with peanut sauce, you have to try this recipe. You won't regret it, I promise. It's so tasty.

Tonight, I smoked a couple different types of wild mushrooms my friend gave me. So for dinner, I sauteed and served them on a fresh bun with coleslaw on top. It's kinda like a mock pulled pork bun. It's not that I miss meat. I'm just nuts about mushrooms :)

Chanterelle mushrooms are in season here. They're pretty safe to go pick, as a rule. Nonetheless, mushroom picking is something I do not take for granted. There are look-alikes, but they don't grow in the same areas. Chanterelles are usually by trees, where the look-alikes can grow anywhere, but not usually by chanterelles. After you've handled chanterelles and cooked with them, they'd be pretty hard to mistake for the jack o'lanterns or false chanterelles that look similar. Furthermore, the look-alikes won't kill you. They'd make you sick with some bad GI problems, but they're most likely not going to kill you.

Mycology is a fascinating subject. I have read a few books on the subject, but do not consider myself an expert, by any means. I do, however, have a very good friend that is, and sometimes I go out Houby hunting with him. We both go foraging because we love eating them, but they are all worth a small fortune these days. Pine mushrooms are worth a small fortune per single mushroom. Morels, which come out in the spring, also sell for huge money. Mmm, morels are really yummy.

Corn and Asparagus soup. Corn (Nixtamalized, rinsed, and blended into flour - masa) with water, bay leaves (blended), rosemary, salt, ground sumac and white pepper.

Asparagus was a nice change. This is one of many veggies I rarely eat.

@Veganite Thank you for the recipe link! My wife is going grocery shopping this weekend, so I asked her to get limes and an additional can of coconut milk. :)

Reactions: Veganite
Tofu, red onion, collard greens, and yellow squash sauteed in canola oil, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar with some black pepper, over forbidden rice noodles.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
Not especially hungry for dinner. Popcorn with spray on water/apple cider vinegar mixture, nutritional yeast, salt.

Beer.

I made soup and homemade bread for dinner. However, the soup was horrible, so I just had the bread, with Earth Balance. The bread wasn't completely great either, but it was okay. Tomorrow will be better.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
Chocolate Mint Ice cream for dinner tonight: water, rolled oats as flour, frozen banana slices w/peel, cacao powder, peanut butter, tahini, raw sugar (out of dates atm) and mint spice - blended.

Reactions: hopeful
It's been a chickpea day! Besides having them as part of breakfast and lunch, I also coated some in a garlic/onion powdered mix and roasted some last night. I've been munching on them as a snack.

Not particularly hungry, so dinner is popcorn, nutritional yeast, salt and beer. Plus a movie.

I wasn't really hungry for dinner, either, so I had a small bowl of granola. I had been snacking on fruit beforehand, hence the not being hungry. If I'm counting my snacking in the dinner category, I also had strawberries and grapes.

Nixtamalized brown basmati with sprouted broccoli, green peas, caramelized onion, garlic, tomato paste, 1/2 tsp of dark sesame oil, salt, smoked paprika and white pepper spices.

I was eager to consume my broccoli sprouts, after reading so much about them. They took a while to sprout though, at least to make a substantial amount - way longer than 4 days. I suppose that's because it's still rather cool here? I'm hoping they will sprout faster as the summer months approach in Aus.

Beer, I had beer, and I sang Lana del Rey karaoke and spoke with another vegan about lack of vegan-friendly sandwiches at the bar. I had beer. I have not had dinner.

Last night, I had three small baked potatoes with Earth Balance and salt. I was feeling lazy, and potatoes seemed like just the right thing. :)

I had awesome vegan pizza that my wife made. It was crust, sauce, mushrooms, and black olives. :)

Dinner: Hash brown sandwiches on whole wheat with Vegemite and brocolli sprouts with homemade mustard (mustard seed, flax, onion, garlic, salt) and ketchup.

Also been drinking cold brewed hibiscus tea throughout the day.

Tingling in fingers has returned, even though I’m eating B12 fortified food (lower sodium Vegemite) and taking B12 regularly. It is much worse after excessive alcohol consumption so I have to make it a priority to cut back on that.

I had roasted veggies, baked yam, with roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and asparagus, and some leftover coleslaw.

I had a bit of another soup fiasco last night. More accurately, the matzo balls I made were not so good. But, I had vegetable soup with matzo balls. It was my first time making vegan matzo balls. I think it will take a bit of practice to get them right.

Last night was a huge red lettuce/arugula salad with cucumber, radish, green onion, mushroom, tomato and topped with Esselstyn's Dragon Dressing (peanut butter, rice vinegar, maple syrup, tamari, garlic cloves, grated ginger, water) and then a small square bread pizza that we topped with vegan cheese, halved cherry tomatoes, green olives and green onions.

Emma JC

ps
The pizza - we are lucky enough to have a local company that make "slab pizza" (also known as 'bread pizza') and it has no trans fats, meat, dairy or eggs. "Plain" is their most popular version of it and many people serve it cold as it is delicious that way with only the pizza sauce on it. I buy it in 1/4 slabs and then just add whatever toppings we wish to that evening and put it in the oven for 15 minutes. It is delicious.

I'm making a hearty, veggie-packed, chili at the moment. It is supposed to be for dinner, but the way it's smelling in the kitchen right now, it might not make it past lunch ;)

Reactions: Emma JC
Status
Not open for further replies.