What did you eat for Dinner/Supper today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wholemeal spaghetti* with black olives, broccoli and sauce.

Sauce: Tomato paste, water, caramelized onion, garlic, salt, white pepper, ground sumac.

*Nixtamalized. Not only does this work for corn (takes overnight), but it takes but a few minutes with some other grains, like brown rice and wholemeal (wheat, in this case) pasta. Now I can have pasta that fills me up, is nutritious and not lacking in vitamins, minerals and fiber, doesn't hurt my tums do to poor soaking or cooking time, is wonderfully soft, and is ready quick! So glad I found this trick!!!!

I have been taking advantage of the Instant Pot and doing 3 to 4 lbs of potatoes at once, whole, then eating some and putting the rest in the fridge for later.

Last night I did a bunch of potatoes in the iPot and on the stove whipped up a quick veggie chili also. No beans this time but did put in a half can of lentils (ate the rest at lunch) and a partial package of Gardien hamburger at the end.

Poured the chili over the potatoes, a sprinkle of nooch on top and Bob's your uncle. :)

Emma JC

Reactions: hopeful
I made a very simple one-pot curry, which I served over Jasmine rice. It was very tasty. I have leftovers for my lunch today, which is always nice.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I had a salad with a Boca "chic'n" patty, and some apple crisp.

Tonight is Mac and noCheese - I basically used Maddie Lymburner's recipe except I used large sweet potato instead of white potato used the Instant Pot instead of a pot on the stove. I also put 3 small whole onions in the Instant pot so it is very oniony and put fresh garlic in the food processor instead of garlic powder. As I didn't have tomato sauce open I used ketchup. Here is the link ...

After putting the sauce and the Scooby Doo pasta together I also cut up broccoli fine, mixed it altogether and put it in the oven at 300 F to allow the broccoli to cook a bit and keep it warm until we are ready to eat.

Emma JC

The vegan Boca burger with lettuce, tomato, pickle, red onion, brown mustard, and vegan ranch on sourdough.

It's funny because if people asked me what I dream about as a vegan when I want a burger it's like the combination of all the stuff that goes on it, a big lettuce, ranch (or mayo) and pickle sandwich with raw onions and mustard or ketchup. THAT is what I crave, like this un-burger ...thing. But the Boca burger is nice for substance.

@Forest Nymph

Apple Crisp
The apple crisp one was from the internet, but I closed the window right after I finished it. It was a bit too "crisp," so I prefer a veganized version on Emmeril's apple crisp recipe. (I made it with my dad and don't have the recipe, but I hope it can easily be found). In any case, the one that I mentioned (not Emmeril's) used oats, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, and melted Earth Balance for the topping, and I used a mix of tart and sweet apples for the apple part. I also added some sugar to the sliced apples to make them a bit sweeter. I think it said to bake it for 25-35 minutes at about 350. I did that, but it was too crisp when I cut it after dinner. The next day, when I had more time, I re-baked the rest for about 35 minutes, maybe more, but it was still too crisp. I would guess covering it for part of the cooking time might help.

Black Bean-Sweet Potato Chili
The black bean and sweet potato chili is amazing. It is from the cookbook "Modern Jewish Cooking," which my wife borrowed from the library about a year and a half ago. I have made it probably eight times, and it is so good. It calls for onions, which I omit because my wife can't eat them. Here are the ingredients:

1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped (which I omitted)
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 TBSP brown sugar
8 garlic cloves, finely chopped (I used 2 last time, and before that I used garlic infused oil and omitted the garlic cloves)
1 TBSP plus 1 1/2 TSP of chili powder (I have never used this, as we don't have it and I don't think my wife can eat it)
1 1/2 TSP ground cumin
1 TBSP cocoa powder
1/4 TSP cayenne powder
1 14 1/2 oz can of peeled whole tomatoes (I used a can of diced tomatoes each time, and it saved me a step later)
2 TBSP balsamic vineagar
2 15 1/2 oz cans of black beans, liquid reserved
1/2 cup water (I actually just used all of the liquid from the beans instead of water)
2 TSP salt (I never add this)

Steps:
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, sweet potato, and brown sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften slightly, about 8-12 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, and cayenne, and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.

2. Pour the tomatoes with their juice into a large bowl and gently squeeze with your hands until they burst. Stir the tomatoes and their juices into the pot along with the vinegar, black beans, 1/2 cup reserved bean liquid, and water. (Or use the canned diced tomatoes and all bean liquid without water.) (Be carful, because the steam when you add the tomatoes is acidic smelling. I add the rest of the ingredients quickly after so it doesn't smell so acidic for the moment.) Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low, partially covered, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens, about 15-25 minutes. Stir in salt if desired.

Olive Oil Bread for Soup (from the cookbook "Isa Does It")

Ingredients:
3/4 cup warm water
1 TBSP granulated sugar
1 packet dry yeast (2 1/4 TSP)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for the bowl and drizzling
2 1/4 - 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 TSP salt

Steps:
1. Add water and sugar to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook. Sprinkle in yeast and let sit for 5 minutes. (I don't use a standing mixer, so I put those ingredients in a bowl, which I warm first with warm/hot water so that the bowl is warm and doesn't kill the yeast.)

2. Mix in the olive oil. Add 1 cup of flour, along with the salt. Mix at low speed until well incorporated, then turn the speed to medium and mix for 3 minutes. (I just stir it with a spoon until incorporated.)

3. Add another 1/2 cup of flour and mix well, starting at low speed and then switching to medium speed. Then add another 1/2 cup of flour, again starting on low speed and switching to medium. Knead on medium speed for about 5 minutes. You may occasionally have to get in there with your hands if the dough starts climbing up the hook. It should become smooth and elastic and slightly sticky. (Instead of this, I just add most of the flour and kneed by hand for about 8 minutes.) At this point, incorporate flour by the TBSP, kneading on medium speed until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky. When it starts to seem dry, stop adding flour. This could be anywhere between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of additional flour.

I am going to start paraphrasing more now:

3. Drizzle a bowl with olive oil. Form the dough into a ball, rolling in the olive oil in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

4. Form dough into a loaf that is about 14 inches long and 4 inches wide.

5. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Place dough on the baking sheet, score the top with 3 diagonal slices, and drizzle with olive oil. (I have never drizzled it with oil.) Let rise for 15 minutes. While it is rising, preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.

6. Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees and bake 10-15 more minutes.

7. Remove from oven. Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I just realized I probably should have put the recipes in the recipe section. Sorry about that, mods. I will add them to the recipe section now.

Last night, I made a feast. I made homemade garlicky mashed potatoes, baked teriyaki tofu (that I marinated), and steamed broccoli. I had 2 raspberry popsicles, then some Ben and Jerry's non-dairy seven layer bar ice cream. I was very happy with the meal. I have been getting into cooking nicer meals lately.

Whole grain wraps with homemade black beans (instant pot with onion garlic red chili pepper cumin paprika) and pickled jalapenos inside. Mexican flavoured rice on the side and all topped with salsa, chopped parsley and arugula and the leftover cheese sauce from the Mac and notCheese the night before. mmmmm

Emma JC

Soaked, cooked then dry roasted chickpeas that were flavored with onion, garlic and salt, along with roasted sunflower seeds in shells (boiled then dry roasted to the point where the shells crunch and dissolve with chewing). Kellyr gave me this idea(the roasted chickpeas one) in my snacks thread.

And beer.

Last night, I had homemade pizza (made by my wife), topped with mushrooms, olives, and a balsamic glaze.

I had something similar as I had for lunch, since I didn't use up my chickpea concoction: Chickpea "hot dogs" (chickpeas, crushed flax, spices), grilled and put into wholemeal bread along with pickles (instead of jalapenos) some chopped broccoli (instead of lettuce), sunflower seeds, mustard, ketchup and salt.
Chickpea hotdogs sound delicious

Chickpeas, zucchini, and tomatoes over little pasta stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.