Which oils are the best/healthiest?

Datel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What (neutral in taste) oil is the best for baking (cake, cookies, etc.)?

And what oil (not neutral in taste necessarily) for salads, cold dishes, etc.

I have found much information about that rapeseed oil should be very healthy/good/one of the best which I can't believe. At least not if it would be the cheapest, normal, refined rapeseed oil offered at the usual discounters.

I would say rapeseed oil is the best for baking (in the U.S. this is canola oil.) It is a monounsaturated oil with a near perfect omega 3/ omega 6 ratio.

For salads, olive oil is the usual choice. It has a high vitamin E content (especially extra virgin) but has a high omega 6 content so maybe shouldn't be used too regularly.

OK, thank you very much.

So rapeseed oil and canola oil are identical, the same? Hadn't expected it would be that good. So one just can use the cheapest oil, refined rapeseed oil, from some discounter.

Is there anything to consider when purchasing olive oil? Or could one use any or any extra virgin olive oil?

I agree with rapeseed/canola oils and olive oils and also grapeseed (which is neutral) to be preferred.
Of course oils aren't 'healthy' in any way, and the benefits touted are more so when you consume the whole foods. I do use them however, as they make eating whole plant foods so much more palatable when I lose my taste for them, like salad dressings

Cold pressed, organic oils are far preferred, and in the case of oil extraction add a good bit of cost. Another consideration is that oils do need to be kept refrigerated and can go rancid quickly and smaller amounts of course also get more pricey

They say most olive oil is actually cut with other oils.

Anyway, here's my take: knowing oils are bad, and knowing I like to use them leads me to simply try and use them as sparingly as I can. I really don't buy into the idea that buying high priced organic oils are adding to health if it means consuming more of them

Reactions: Brian W and Emma JC
OK, thank you very much.

So rapeseed oil and canola oil are identical, the same? Hadn't expected it would be that good. So one just can use the cheapest oil, refined rapeseed oil, from some discounter.

Is there anything to consider when purchasing olive oil? Or could one use any or any extra virgin olive oil?
In the U.S., canola oil is the form of rapeseed oil that is always used in cooking. The form called rapeseed oil is for other purposes. In the U.K., Any rapeseed oil bought from a food shop should be fine. With Olive oil, Extra Virgin is best because it is from the first pressing but you can use any. In both cases, maybe cold pressed is best but I think the cheaper types are good as well.

Last edited:
In the U.S., canola oil is the form that is always used in cooking. The form called rapeseed oil is for other purposes. In the U.K., Any rapeseed oil bought from a food shop should be fine. With Olive oil, Extra Virgin is best because it is from the first pressing but you can use any. In both cases, maybe cold pressed is best but I think the cheaper types are good as well.
We have 'vegetable oil' which is a blend of canola, soybean, corn and I think safflower. Can also find corn oil, which has some specific qualities, and sunflower.

Oh, forgot to add avocado which is also know to be better.
Think is, you'll find all kind of conflicting information on health, particularly with oils. There are those still saying coconut oil is healthful while it is all saturated fat.

Reactions: Brian W
I always use extra virgin olive oil in a glass bottle or a spray bottle or sesame oil for drizzling on food.

We have 'vegetable oil' which is a blend of canola, soybean, corn and I think safflower. Can also find corn oil, which has some specific qualities, and sunflower.
Sorry, I meant canola oil is the form of rapeseed oil that is always used in cooking not the only type of oil available.

Sorry, I meant canola oil is the form of rapeseed oil that is always used in cooking not the only type of oil available.
Well there are other oils with the same smokepoint as canola for cooking.
Peanut, sunflower, safflower, refined olive or refined avocado
It's the most refined oils that have the higher smoke point. Actually it's in heating that is the worst way to use oil.

Just so you realize, while I absolutely am convinced oils are not necessary, and not healthy, I did just make vegan mayo with canola oil

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
So there isn't that much to choose from among the kind of oils actually: mainly rapeseed and olive oil, preferably cold pressed Extra Virgin. Thank you also for the link. So most olive oils are adulterated with cheap(er) oils or something else of (much) lower quality / cheap "ingredients". One could definitely buy a lot of other food for the price of a bottle of olive oil.

Yes, as less oil as possible in any way.

So canola oil and rapeseed oil are different oils for different purposes. But in any way one can use both of them for baking cake, cookies, etc. And for other hot dishes.

[QUOYTE]Think is, you'll find all kind of conflicting information on health, particularly with oils.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I already did. And I didn't find anything (helpful) on nutritionfacts.org or so. Thank you for the link!

Applesauce instead.... that is my answer and what I do.
Cannot imagine at the moment as a replacement for oil. Sounds like it would be completely different to oil, as if it somehow would have a complete other effect on the taste, texture of the dishes. So just apples made into puree?

Just so you realize, while I absolutely am convinced oils are not necessary,
But what else should oneuse for baking cakes and such? Is there anything less unhealthy?

So canola oil and rapeseed oil are different oils for different purposes. But in any way one can use both of them for baking cake, cookies, etc. And for other hot dishes.
If you are in the US, canola is the only one you can eat but it is the same as any rapeseed oil you can get in a supermarket if you are in the UK. In Sweden it is called rapsolja and is the most commonly used oil for cooking.

From Wikipedia:
Canola oil is a food-grade version derived from rapeseed cultivars specifically bred for low erucic acid content. It is also known as low erucic acid rapeseed (LEAR) oil and is generally recognized as safe by the United States Food and Drug Administration.[a][4] Canola oil is limited by government regulation to a maximum of 2% erucic acid by weight in the US[4] and the EU,[5] with special regulations for infant food. These low levels of erucic acid do not cause harm in humans
Canola is now a generic term for edible varieties of rapeseed oil in North America and Australasia;[15] the change in name also serves to distinguish it from natural rapeseed oil, which has much higher erucic acid content.[16]

Canola Oil Nutrition Facts: Calories, Carbs, and Health Benefits
Some people conflate modern canola oil with inedible rapeseed oil that's used in lubricants, hydraulic fluids, soaps, and paints. But again, that’s not canola oil. Part of that problem might be that people outside of North America use the term ‘rapeseed’ when they talk about either canola oil or inedible rapeseed oil.
Limited and not conclusive scientific evidence suggests that eating about 1 ½ tablespoons (19 grams) of canola oil daily may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease due to the unsaturated fat content in canola oil. To achieve this possible benefit, canola oil is to replace a similar amount of saturated fat and not increase the total number of calories you eat in a day.

Last edited:
So there isn't that much to choose from among the kind of oils actually: mainly rapeseed and olive oil, preferably cold pressed Extra Virgin. Thank you also for the link. So most olive oils are adulterated with cheap(er) oils or something else of (much) lower quality / cheap "ingredients". One could definitely buy a lot of other food for the price of a bottle of olive oil.
Yes, they all do affect taste and texture. I use applesauce in things where I don't mind the apple taste, like cornbread...anything but chocolate things really.
Pumpkin is great in things with spices.
Baked goods will dry out faster when you sub for oil, so just make what will be eaten in a day or two
I often just use half the oil recipes call for with good outcomes, also I use less sugar

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
OK, I understand, many thanks for the Wiki information and the link!

Thank you very much for the substitutes link. So one just has to try what oil replacements work for what dish for oneself, what combinations taste best. What about avocados? Shouldn't they also be a good oil replacement then? Couldn't these substitute oils also be used in salads, for example? If you dilute them (e.g. nut butter, pumpkin puree) with liquid, such as water, soy milk, etc. and add them to the salad like normal oil?

OK, I understand, many thanks for the Wiki information and the link!

Thank you very much for the substitutes link. So one just has to try what oil replacements work for what dish for oneself, what combinations taste best. What about avocados? Shouldn't they also be a good oil replacement then? Couldn't these substitute oils also be used in salads, for example? If you dilute them (e.g. nut butter, pumpkin puree) with liquid, such as water, soy milk, etc. and add them to the salad like normal oil?
Weren't avocados listed? Yes, pureed/mashed avocados are a good replacement. I'm allergic to them, but I think they'd be great pureed with the liquids

Ah, sorry, mentioned there, overlooked.

Many thanks!

For frying/baking/cooking : rapeseed and sunflower oil.
For salads, vegetables,marinades and vinaigrettes: safflower, rapeseed, olive, walnut or corn oil.

OK, thank you very much!

For salads, vegetables,marinades and vinaigrettes: safflower, rapeseed, olive, walnut or corn oil.
Is there anything I should take into account when purchasing them? Or can I just use any of these oils?