why are so few men vegan?

I dont think that indicates that 'few men are vegan' I think it indicates you know few men who happen to be vegan. Perhaps?
None of my male friends are vegan/veggie. But then again neither are any of my female friends.

Reactions: Andy_T
Most of the vegans I know are men, most of the vegetarians I know are women.

My theory has always been that vegetarianism can seem feminine, because people associate it with caring about animals, and caring/sensitivity are often perceived as female traits. Whereas veganism seems more "extreme" or "hardcore" and is more closely associated with animal rights, which perhaps appeals more to men. This is pure speculation mind you!

Reactions: Andy_T
My theory has always been that vegetarianism can seem feminine, because people associate it with caring about animals, and caring/sensitivity are often perceived as female traits. Whereas veganism seems more "extreme" or "hardcore" and is more closely associated with animal rights, which perhaps appeals more to men. This is pure speculation mind you!

That might be right, but animal rights is still more a women's movement. Most protests you will go to will have more - usually substantially more - females than males. This is true even for the more "aggressive" ones, but those do tend to have a more equal balance. I just went to an outreach event of 7 people, 1 was male. Oddly though, there seems to be more leaders of organizations that are male. I've been to many protests where there's a (paid) male leading, and most all of the (volunteer) participants are female.

Reactions: SummerRain
There are quite a lot of vegetarian men in my extended family- about proportionate to the number of vegetarian women. The vegetarians (including vegans as vegetarians) are:

Female:
Aunt 1, Aunt 3, my mum, 2 of my female cousins (Aunt 2's daughters) and me. (All aunts and cousins are on my mum's side). Total = 6

Male:
My dad, Uncle 2, Uncle 3, 3 of my cousins (Aunt 1s son, Aunt 3's eldest son and Aunt 5's youngest son) and my brother (again all uncles and cousins are on my mum's side). Total= 7

So more men than women. Add pescetarians (my maternal gran and Aunt 1 on my dad's side) and its 8/7 in favour of women. Vegans only (Aunt 1, me and my dad) it's 2/1 in favour of women. Of course all of this is very anecdotal and based on very small numbers but my point is there are veg*n men out there!

I've met a lot of vegan men at meet-ups. I would say that they made up at least 50% of the vegans I've met and quite a few of the heterosexual men are single and looking for vegan girlfriends. Vegan women tend to have omni partners in my experience.

I've met far more vegetarian women than vegetarian men though.

I've met a lot of vegan men at meet-ups. I would say that they made up at least 50% of the vegans I've met and quite a few of the heterosexual men are single and looking for vegan girlfriends. Vegan women tend to have omni partners in my experience.

I've met far more vegetarian women than vegetarian men though.
My husband and son are vegan, and my daughter is omni. My son is going to a vegan meetup next week to hopefully meet girls. He said he's tired of "veganizing" everyone. Lol.

That might be right, but animal rights is still more a women's movement. Most protests you will go to will have more - usually substantially more - females than males. This is true even for the more "aggressive" ones, but those do tend to have a more equal balance. I just went to an outreach event of 7 people, 1 was male. Oddly though, there seems to be more leaders of organizations that are male. I've been to many protests where there's a (paid) male leading, and most all of the (volunteer) participants are female.

That's interesting, the vegans I've met have been at meet-ups rather than animals-rights protests/etc. They're also mostly young people, and I'm usually surprised by how different the demographic is than I imagined. But the groups are always fairly small so may not be especially representative... but at least we know that vegan men do exist :p

I have met vegans of all ages but probably the majority have been in their 20's or 30's.

If people want to meet vegan men/women some areas have local animal rights groups or go to vegetarian or vegan fayres and talk to people, especially the people running the stalls, and they would probably tell you how to get more involved and meet new vegans.

Here is the London meetup group if anyone is interested. I haven't been to a meetup in this group before but I have been told that people travel from other parts of the country to attend them.:)

London Vegan Meetup (London, England) - Meetup

My husband and son are vegan, and my daughter is omni. My son is going to a vegan meetup next week to hopefully meet girls. He said he's tired of "veganizing" everyone. Lol.

:p

There are quite a lot of vegetarian men in my extended family- about proportionate to the number of vegetarian women. The vegetarians (including vegans as vegetarians) are:

Female:
Aunt 1, Aunt 3, my mum, 2 of my female cousins (Aunt 2's daughters) and me. (All aunts and cousins are on my mum's side). Total = 6

Male:
My dad, Uncle 2, Uncle 3, 3 of my cousins (Aunt 1s son, Aunt 3's eldest son and Aunt 5's youngest son) and my brother (again all uncles and cousins are on my mum's side). Total= 7

So more men than women. Add pescetarians (my maternal gran and Aunt 1 on my dad's side) and its 8/7 in favour of women. Vegans only (Aunt 1, me and my dad) it's 2/1 in favour of women. Of course all of this is very anecdotal and based on very small numbers but my point is there are veg*n men out there!

Wow that's really impressive!

Reactions: lucky_charm
Found one more Vegan man..chalk it up!

Well, actually I did not but my client did.. he is her partner.

We were chatting about second relationships, kids, and ..stuff really and she started to tell me about her partner was a bit of an 'old hippy really' because he is Buddhist and Vegan. She told me he is presently off at a Buddhist retreat but usually is working as a Social Worker .

Bit weird really as she and her children are obviously omi and she is a retired air hostess blatantly declaring that she has no desire to explore her spriritual depths but obviously ridiculously in love with her old hippy.

The picture she painted of him was an emancipated sandal clad yogurt weaver but then she showed me his photo.

There he stood this half Greek and half Italian Vegan looking every inch an extra from the or a nightclub Godfather or the bouncer you just would NOT mess with. Six foot three, heavy set, built like a tank, complete with black suit and tie .

You naughty Vegans messing with Omni heads like this!!! Mixing it up!! He is not supposed to look like that he does not get any protein!!! :worms:

I only know a few men who are vegan most vegans/vegetarians i know are female why is this?

Well, every poll I have ever seen on any veg*an forum (and I've seen a fair few) shows more of the vegans are men than are women.

Every time the female vegetarians outnumber the male vegeterians though.

There he stood this half Greek and half Italian Vegan looking every inch an extra from the or a nightclub Godfather or the bouncer you just would NOT mess with. Six foot three, heavy set, built like a tank, complete with black suit and tie .

I'll mess with him just 'cos you obviously think I'm not enough of a man to do it.

:dance: