Wood Burning Stove and Companion Animals

KLS52

Love Is A Verb
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
So, Ben came to live with me in April and Bratt and Joon during the summer. Ben's all time favorite place to sit is on top of the wood burning stove. And the kittens run and jump from the sofa to the stove to the mantel and back again.

Now that the weather is turning cold, I would normally have my stove going, but I am afraid that the cats will get burned. Is this a valid concern or am I being overly dramatic? Everyone is telling me that they will sense the heat and not go near the stove, but I feel like if they are running around playing, as they often do, they might not realize until it is too late. I do not want them to get hurt.

Does anyone have any experience with wood burning stoves and companion animals? Do you think it is safe for me to start burning wood? I think I would feel better if I was already using the stove when they came to live with me, but they've had months, now, thinking the stove is a safe place to be.

Wow! talk about a hard-to-test situation. I suggest maybe you lay or tape crumpled aluminum foil on it for a few days to detract them from using it, then leave it on (sans-tape) when you fire it up until they figure out that it is hot (which they will).

Reactions: KLS52
Good idea...try to get them to stay away 'before' I start lighting it. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

I actually did a google search and was surprised how little is out there. Another suggestion was to have them watch me when I go to light it...leave the door open so that they see the fire/flame. I suppose I could try a very small fire at first, as well...maybe just light a few twigs that will die out fairly quickly. That way the stove won't get really hot and I can test their reaction to it.

Now that the weather is turning cold, I would normally have my stove going, but I am afraid that the cats will get burned. Is this a valid concern or am I being overly dramatic? Everyone is telling me that they will sense the heat and not go near the stove, but I feel like if they are running around playing, as they often do, they might not realize until it is too late. I do not want them to get hurt.

I've seen cat owners putting photos online of cats sitting in front of fires so I know other people must have wood burners with cats and dogs,o_O but I probably would worry about that too. I have my kitchen door closed as I'm worried about them going in the oven but I wasn't sure if I was being hysterical about it. I don't light candles much anymore as I've seen my cats walk across them and they have ended up burning their fur.:fp:

Yeah, the weird thing is, when I'm cooking and I open the hot oven, the kittens walk right up to it to look inside. The heat doesn't seem to deter them. I have to shoo them away...I swear I feel like they would jump right in if I didn't stop them.

I'm going to have to think about/plan my move very carefully...and maybe just wait another year until they are older and less impulsive. It's not like I don't have heat. But oil is expensive and we keep the thermostat low to conserve. I can just add another layer of clothing, but the stove is so nice and toasty. Bah.

I wouldn't do small fires that only warm up the stove. That will only encourage them to get on it, because they like warm surfaces.

Does the exterior of the stove get hot enough to actually burn skin on a very brief contact? If it doesn't (and most modern woodburning stoves don't, for safety reasons), they will quickly figure out that it's uncomfortably hot and jump off before getting burned through prolonged contact.

I used to have a wood burning stove with cats. I moved in during winter though, so they never had a chance to use it as a playground. I kept a large pot of water on top to help keep the air humidified. They never jumped on the stove, but I don't know if it was because of the pot on top, the heat (I kept it HOT), or just that they were older and less impulsive.

Reactions: ledboots
I used to have a wood burning stove with cats. I moved in during winter though, so they never had a chance to use it as a playground. I kept a large pot of water on top to help keep the air humidified. They never jumped on the stove, but I don't know if it was because of the pot on top, the heat (I kept it HOT), or just that they were older and less impulsive.

I did the same thing. That would do the trick!

I wouldn't do small fires that only warm up the stove. That will only encourage them to get on it, because they like warm surfaces.

Does the exterior of the stove get hot enough to actually burn skin on a very brief contact? If it doesn't (and most modern woodburning stoves don't, for safety reasons), they will quickly figure out that it's uncomfortably hot and jump off before getting burned through prolonged contact.
Good point about small fires. I don't know how old the stove is. It came with the house and we've been here 18 years. It gets very, very hot. I don't know if it would burn skin on brief contact.
Maybe we'll have a mild winter!

I don't think you're being overly concerned at all- cats are pretty bright but they manage to get themselves in trouble. Maybe put something non-flammable on top of the stove that will keep them from getting burned but let the heat get into the room- some spare window screening maybe?

Thanks, Tom...still pondering the dilemma. :sigh:

Oh man. I would be worried, too! I would try to get them to know it's off limits before attempting to light it. Hm. I'm not sure what to tell you! Keep us updated!

A coworker just adopted two kittens the same age as my Bratt and Joon (6-7 months). They have a more contemporary stove with a glass front. One of the kittens walked by and his tail flicked, touched the glass and his fur actually singed! He wasn't hurt at all...didn't even feel it or flinch, thank goodness, but that is insane.