Aquafaba

What kind of recipe are you going to make ?

I've only ever made mayonnaise using aquafaba( you can successfully make it without) as I'm not a fan of meringues. Moreover, I'm not keen on using so much sugar in recipes.
I'm interested to know how your recipe turns out. :)

I’ve done it twice, once with chickpeas and once with white beans. The chickpea water whips easier and faster but the white bean water had a milder/no taste. I was trying to make meringue for pie and it did not bake well. It deflated. But it does whip up nicely. I haven’t tried again. I do want to use it as egg replacer in some kind of baked good at some point.

I’ve done it twice, once with chickpeas and once with white beans. The chickpea water whips easier and faster but the white bean water had a milder/no taste. I was trying to make meringue for pie and it did not bake well. It deflated. But it does whip up nicely. I haven’t tried again. I do want to use it as egg replacer in some kind of baked good at some point.

I do remember you telling us this in another thread. :) I wonder why some people say that the end result works out well ?:rolleyes: I wonder whether they have tried to make meringues with egg whites ? I'm not a huge fan of egg whites and it's the yolks that I miss when making bakes or desserts.:(

Reactions: KLS52
People get amazing results with the meringues. I must have done something wrong because it looked beautiful when it went into the oven.
I only miss it with lemon meringue pie. And yes, I would use the yolk for the lemon filling. I’ve made it without and it’s not the same, sadly.

People get amazing results with the meringues. I must have done something wrong because it looked beautiful when it went into the oven.
I only miss it with lemon meringue pie. And yes, I would use the yolk for the lemon filling. I’ve made it without and it’s not the same, sadly.

If I had time, I would just make it for the experiment but I really don't like all that sugar. 🤓 :oops:

Who want's to do an experiment for us lot ? Blues ?:D

I totally agree with you about the yolks. I've made lots of plant based recipes omitting yolks and they don't taste as good.:confused:

*chants* blues, blues! blues! blues! blues! blues!

😁

Oh! I need to try those! They look like the Italian cookies I used to make only they did not have butter and they had six eggs! I may try my own recipe and just use the aquafaba in place of the eggs.

I have been experimenting with aquafaba in my cooking/baking. M
First used it in my chocolate chip cookies. It was great as a binding agent, not so much for leavening. The cookies came out really flat, but had a light airy texture. While they were not my favorite chocolate chip cookie texture-wise, everyone else went crazy for them so my guess is they were really good, LOL.

B9150AE9-46DE-4C97-A74A-ECAEA9290BCA.jpeg

I tried making a second cookie and interestingly enough, I needed these to be cake like and they were too dense.

E2000E0F-FA7C-4AF2-BD77-C92802D600B5.jpeg

Lastly I used it as a binder for my nut roast and it was perfect for that.

845DB333-CF39-47DD-A4B1-07FBCAF39639.jpeg

OMG! Those frosted sprinkled balls! They look so delicious, but everyone I've seen has been anise-y which I don't like. Actually, most Christmas cookies are quite deceptive.
I love those sprinkles though--the stars yet :starshower:

Yeah, I love anise flavoring. I’m going to try another batch tomorrow I think. I’m determined to do better with the texture.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
One problem for me with using so much aquafaba for things, I have too many chickpeas, lol. I mean, I like chickpeas, but I don’t want to be eating them every day for every meal. So far I made chickpea tuna and I’m just finishing up that. But now I have another can in the fridge that I have to do something with. And I wanted to bake more cookies this morning which means I will have even more chickpeas to use up. Guess I’ll be googling chickpea recipes because I’m tired of eating them the same way.

One problem for me with using so much aquafaba for things, I have too many chickpeas, lol. I mean, I like chickpeas, but I don’t want to be eating them every day for every meal. So far I made chickpea tuna and I’m just finishing up that. But now I have another can in the fridge that I have to do something with. And I wanted to bake more cookies this morning which means I will have even more chickpeas to use up. Guess I’ll be googling chickpea recipes because I’m tired of eating them the same way.
I could easily eat falafel every day!

I could easily eat falafel every day!
I have to try making falafel myself because I am very sensitive to specific herb/spices. If I make it myself I can tweak the flavors to how I like them. I haven’t had falafel that I have liked so I stopped ordering it when I’m out. I’m not sure, but I think it might be cilantro that’s in there and I am not a fan unless it’s very, very subtle.

I have to try making falafel myself because I am very sensitive to specific herb/spices. If I make it myself I can tweak the flavors to how I like them. I haven’t had falafel that I have liked so I stopped ordering it when I’m out. I’m not sure, but I think it might be cilantro that’s in there and I am not a fan unless it’s very, very subtle.
I'm selective about my falafel out as well. :D There are only two places I will order it out: Mamoun's in New Haven, CT, and Villa of Lebanon in South Windsor, CT, for the same reasons. I like cilantro but in small doses, and these two places don't go crazy with it.

Reactions: Val and KLS52
We need aquafaba to be sold like veggie broth in the box. :D I wonder how long it will keep after you drain the chickpeas. I was thinking of saving some the next time I use canned beans for hummus. I often add some to the hummus instead of water (as my recipe calls for a 1/4 cup of water).