Best mashed potatoes

Moll, GERMAN instant potato mash has a rather high quality (I guess), so German housewives have been using that nearly exclusively since 1960 (Alternative theory: German housewives are more lazy, er, practical) ...

But then, I have likely never in my life eaten real hand-mashed potato mash, so I can not really know what I am missing....

Instant mash taste nothing like the real thing. It's strange that Germans use mainly instant mash as over here it's the same thing. Most people have never tasted real mashed potatoes and young children are bought up on the instant stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots
I love instant mashed potatoes, but the good one is too expensive for me.

Peel and boil up a good quality potato (I use Maris Pipers) in water with a little salt, until the potatoes are soft enough to put a butter knife through. Drain them and run them through a potato ricer. Use a silicone spatula to whip them with dairy-free margarine, soy cream, salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I throw in some chives too. Perfect every time :)

I love instant mashed potatoes, but the good one is too expensive for me.
Ended up getting some when they were on sale. They don't taste nearly as good as I remember, and they have a weird texture. I guess I got used to having real mashed potatoes.

Ended up getting some when they were on sale. They don't taste nearly as good as I remember, and they have a weird texture. I guess I got used to having real mashed potatoes.

I also don't like the taste or texture. I've only ever had them at other peoples as they are not my cup of tea

I just had instant mashed potatoes for the first time in months. They were good. I added vegan margarine, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and some Daiya shreds...it was awesome.

I steam them, then mash them with a masher...skins on, and lumpy....Sheese, Vitalite, salt and pepper, and soya milk....good with a curry.

I steam them, then mash them with a masher...skins on, and lumpy....Sheese, Vitalite, salt and pepper, and soya milk....good with a curry.
That sounds good! I sometimes leave the skins on as well, especially for the red potatoes. I like to add roasted garlic, EB and splash of soy or almond milk to them along with a good dose of pepper.

That sounds good! I sometimes leave the skins on as well, especially for the red potatoes. I like to add roasted garlic, EB and splash of soy or almond milk to them along with a good dose of pepper.

I was just wondering whether you use organic potatoes when you eat the skin ? It's strange, but the red variety are my least favourite.;)

I was just wondering whether you use organic potatoes when you eat the skin ? It's strange, but the red variety are my least favourite.;)
I always get organic potatoes (one of the dirty dozen, and they are still inexpensive) because I rarely peel the potatoes. I just mash with skins on, the family all likes them that way. Plus nutrition. :)

Reactions: PTree15
I always get organic potatoes (one of the dirty dozen, and they are still inexpensive) because I rarely peel the potatoes. I just mash with skins on, the family all likes them that way. Plus nutrition. :)

I also like potato skin but only if organic. As they are quite expensive, I seldom buy them.

Sometimes, but not always. I love the red ones, especially roasted with rosemary and olive oil. So delicious. They also do well in my potato salad recipes, most of which are not mayonnaise-based. I love any potato, though, hehe. Yukon gold potatoes are terrific as well. And sweet potatoes. :)