Cooking Disasters Thread

I do that a lot. It usually happens because I make something amazing and I know I'll want more of it, so I will keep adding more stuff to it and end up ruining it.

I recently discovered that letting the bag thaw first in the fridge helps cut down on the mushiness factor.
Thank you, thefadedone, I am going to try that, too. I made green beans the other day, but they were quite mushy and I was not happy.
I, too, tinker too much sometimes and ruin a completely delicious recipe. I also tend to over-garlic things, like my hummus. When I make it for me, I put in about 5 cloves, but I have to remember to cut it down to 2 or 3 when I am making it for my family. :D
I remember one time I was making this veggie pot-pie type of thing from the Moosewood Inn cookbook. I can't remember the name of the pie, and this was early on in my adult cooking life, lol. I used a sugary premade crust instead of a plain pie crust. OMG, it was awful. I remember my boyfriend at the time, who tried valiantly to eat it, but after a few bites were like, Let's get pizza!

When fudge doesn't set.. :)

1510551_720992777926095_1868294437_n.jpg

Reactions: PTree15
Thank you, thefadedone, I am going to try that, too. I made green beans the other day, but they were quite mushy and I was not happy.
I, too, tinker too much sometimes and ruin a completely delicious recipe. I also tend to over-garlic things, like my hummus. When I make it for me, I put in about 5 cloves, but I have to remember to cut it down to 2 or 3 when I am making it for my family. :D
I remember one time I was making this veggie pot-pie type of thing from the Moosewood Inn cookbook. I can't remember the name of the pie, and this was early on in my adult cooking life, lol. I used a sugary premade crust instead of a plain pie crust. OMG, it was awful. I remember my boyfriend at the time, who tried valiantly to eat it, but after a few bites were like, Let's get pizza!

What do you think of that book PTree ? I have put it on my wishlist ages ago.

When fudge doesn't set.. :)

1510551_720992777926095_1868294437_n.jpg

That looks like a very elegant dessert ; Chocolate fudge cream.
What recipe did you use RM ?

Reactions: thefadedone
6 Tbsp. vegan margarine
3 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup sifted cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup soy milk

I shouldn't have tried a new recipe, but, oh well. :)

I agree with Shyvas. I think it looks like a fancy pudding. How did it taste?

I also tend to over-garlic things, like my hummus. When I make it for me, I put in about 5 cloves, but I have to remember to cut it down to 2 or 3 when I am making it for my family

^This is me also. I LOVE garlic. The more the better. I am so used to putting tons of garlic in everything that I tend to forget that not everyone shares my adoration for it.:rolleyes:

Again, I was doing too many things at once this morning and when I went to turn on the front burner I accidentally turned on the back burner. The burner cover was still on and since I was so distracted, I didn't realize it until it started smoking and burning.:fp: Not gonna lie, this wasn't the first time I've done that. :oops:

I over chilli/garlic stuff all the time. If its just me eating it that's fine as I have crap tastebuds and love spicy food but not when you have company who cant eat it, oh dear.

My friends and I tried to make cake pops this halloween. How the hell do people ice them?? We tried to use normal icing (water+icing sugar) and not that weird melted candy stuff (my friends didnt know it existed, and i didnt buy it cause it wasnt vegan). oh dear. They looked awful. On the same day we also tried toffee apples - the toffee didnt set! The recipe was from Jamie Oliver as well! Gross. That day was dubbed 'Pinterest fail day'. I also tried to make roasted pumkin seeds but forgot that I put them in the oven. wow the house stank.

My worst ever disaster was making a vegan lasagne with white sauce on top. I accidentally bought vanilla soymilk and didnt notice til after we tried to eat it. Lasagne topped with custard anyone? Since that I've always made my lasagnes with red sauce only haha.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
6 Tbsp. vegan margarine
3 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup sifted cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup soy milk

I've never seen a fudge recipe without using the boiling method of milk plus sugar. Prehaps that is the
reason why it didn't set ?
I over chilli/garlic stuff all the time. If its just me eating it that's fine as I have crap tastebuds and love spicy food but not when you have company who cant eat it, oh dear.

My friends and I tried to make cake pops this halloween. How the hell do people ice them?? We tried to use normal icing (water+icing sugar) and not that weird melted candy stuff (my friends didnt know it existed, and i didnt buy it cause it wasnt vegan). oh dear. They looked awful. On the same day we also tried toffee apples - the toffee didnt set! The recipe was from Jamie Oliver as well! Gross. That day was dubbed 'Pinterest fail day'. I also tried to make roasted pumkin seeds but forgot that I put them in the oven. wow the house stank.

My worst ever disaster was making a vegan lasagne with white sauce on top. I accidentally bought vanilla soymilk and didnt notice til after we tried to eat it. Lasagne topped with custard anyone? Since that I've always made my lasagnes with red sauce only haha.

That is hilarious Liz. It sounds a bit like the blog Julia and Julia.

What do you think of that book PTree ? I have put it on my wishlist ages ago.
It definitely has some interesting veggie recipes, though there are fish recipes as well. I find the recipes very labor intensive but usually worth the effort if you have all day to prepare. :D I understand there is an updated one; the one I have is from the early 80s, so I'm not sure what the newer one is like.

:p
It definitely has some interesting veggie recipes, though there are fish recipes as well. I find the recipes very labor intensive but usually worth the effort if you have all day to prepare. :D I understand there is an updated one; the one I have is from the early 80s, so I'm not sure what the newer one is like.

As it is a very exclusive and posh restaurant, that is what I was thinking. I'll skip it.

:p

As it is a very exclusive and posh restaurant, that is what I was thinking. I'll skip it.
Yep. I ate there once, ages ago when I was dating a guy who went to Cornell. It was very good, I must say. His mom gave me the cookbook for Christmas one year.

I'm used to arm and hammer baking soda in the yellow box so when I bought it from TJ's in the tin, I accidentally grabbed the soda instead of the baking powder when I made pancakes. Couldn't figure out why they tasted so vile, lol. I had no idea until a few days later when I went to do it again. Luckil, I saw that it said BS and not BP.

Then I saw this, lol. Misery loves company.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/752246

ezu6a4e7.jpg

Hmm just realised I forgot to blind bake my pastry. Only time will tell if it's a disaster or not...

I made a vegan cheese sauce tonight. I thought it was disgusting but fiancé put it over his potatoes. :shrug: