Experiences with telling family

Sproutskies

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Since becoming full vegan this was the first time seeing family in a zoom thanksgiving.

Someone mentions to everyone that I had recently made the transition in an awkward joke/comment.

I tried my best to stay calm and communicate clearly but it was obvious that I was caught off guard. One by one everyone was asking questions with uncomfortable looks and the eye rolls.

All of the quick rebuttals and arguments slipped my mind while stuck in a thought loop. No one said anything too crazy or insulting but it was just a bit reality shattering for those who know me and also clearly are against being vegan. Didn't have access to say the right things. Eventually just said that it helped me manage my hypothyroid and that now I have more energy, positive benefits..

Eventually managed to talk more in a chill way and changed the subject which made the chatter less and less.

Most of my family is stuck in the matrix... It's like a recovering meat addict being around a bunch of current users.

Last edited:
Well, the next time you will be better prepared just from this experience. You might also want to prepare a little bit now while it's fresh in your mind. *

From my own experience (and without any evidence) is that many of the people who question you are legitimately curious and/or concerned for your well being. Perhaps their biases and ignorance might frame the question awkwardly or even antagonistically. My advice to accept each question in the best light and then give a short polite informative answer. The answer doesn't need to be complete. if they have other questions you now have a conversation.

If you did go vegan for animal rights, I wouldn't shy away from that. I think it's something to be proud of.

Keep in mind that although we may have heard the question, "Where do you get your protein from?", like a million times. It may be the first time That person has asked it. So give them a good answer. "Beans, seeds, and nuts." is pretty concise.

Never miss an opportunity to befriend or educate.

*If you're like me you will rerun this in your mind like a hundred times at 2 AM. But I don't recomend that as a strategy.

The world is like that story of the old man, the boy and the donkey, it's never possible to please everyone.

• Agree
Reactions: Sproutskies
Well, the next time you will be better prepared just from this experience. You might also want to prepare a little bit now while it's fresh in your mind. *

From my own experience (and without any evidence) is that many of the people who question you are legitimately curious and/or concerned for your well being. Perhaps their biases and ignorance might frame the question awkwardly or even antagonistically. My advice to accept each question in the best light and then give a short polite informative answer. The answer doesn't need to be complete. if they have other questions you now have a conversation.

If you did go vegan for animal rights, I wouldn't shy away from that. I think it's something to be proud of.

Keep in mind that although we may have heard the question, "Where do you get your protein from?", like a million times. It may be the first time That person has asked it. So give them a good answer. "Beans, seeds, and nuts." is pretty concise.

Never miss an opportunity to befriend or educate.

*If you're like me you will rerun this in your mind like a hundred times at 2 AM. But I don't recomend that as a strategy.
Have had similar conversations in one on one interactions. My brain can better recall information without being pressured by a whole group of subtly irritated/defensive family members.

There are so many strategies to lessen the defensiveness of people who are resistant to talk about being vegan specifically.

One thing I try to remember is that saying you are "plant-based" instead of the word "Vegan" can loosen the image people think of when they assume what a vegan is and how there tends to be an emotional charge attached.

Another thing to bring up is my personal connection to working in sushi and being exposed to visible worms, parasites, and methyl-mercury exposure over many years. That when I increased my fiber intake it did wonders to help my gut recover from the abuse.

Not to forget that at the time I didn't want to be directly contributing to the overfishing and extinctions to certain types of Tuna.

Also important to bring up leaders and celebrities that other people respect who they might never guess have adopted a plant based diet. Arnold is one of the biggest examples of someone who has reduced their meat consumption and moved towards being Vegetarian.

Being that my family is mostly liberal and Jewish I could mention also that John Stewart and his wife have moved to Vegan diets and talk about the impact of factory farm meat industry.

For the protein argument I usually ask about how people think that Gorillas get such large and powerful muscles. Most people will struggle to find the answer to which you can say that these primates are primarily grazing on leaves as well as fruit and 2% or less being from bugs..

Another point to bring up is that I get 100% of my recommended daily value in all of the 9 essential amino acids. That these are abundantly found in the plant kingdom.

It's better to feel out what the other person is resistant to listen to and in a way back off from pressuring them or trying to flood them with your side. Instead people will let their guard down if you present the information in the form of telling a story rather than trying to let them know how you think they are wrong in any way. Instead that this is a more a factor of moving towards a positive direction in my own life.

Bringing up that you are in some way against their choices or that they are directly contributing to the suffering of animals is not a great first conversation to have.

I could instead mention an experience of when I was trail running in high school and ran into a mother and her baby sitting right in front of me. That I locked eyes with the mom and had a spiritual connection. That they somehow realized I was not a threat and it was apparent to me that they were having a unique experience of their own.

The list goes on and on. As the conversations become easier it will help in remembering these things in the moment and shine a light on how this relates to personal growth. Finding ways to first remove the defenses of the other person through story telling and then sneaking in some of the deeper truths.

Regarding public figures, even though he doesn't seem to call himself vegan, the actor Dirk Benedict says he ditched animal products decades ago, in his book written in the 80's he also mentions several people he came across whom if not vegetarians were probably close too, like legendary actress Gloria Swanson. In those days macrobiotics was probably one path to it, even though it allowed for fish, at the highest level it was supposed to be strictly vegetarian.

However it has been since considered a dangerous diet, even though some of its more famous proponents seem to have enjoyed prolonged life. The plant based movement is a safer and less restrictive approach to whole eating.

Last edited:
Bringing up that you are in some way against their choices or that they are directly contributing to the suffering of animals is not a great first conversation to have.
In these things there seems to be an urge to want to convert people, but just how many of us have been convinced by other people? It usually seems more like an inner path where one has been close to the idea even before noticing he was and eventually convinces himself.

Reactions: Lou
In these things there seems to be an urge to want to convert people, but just how many of us have been convinced by other people? It usually seems more like an inner path where one has been close to the idea even before noticing he was and eventually convinces himself.
Think it's more about diffusing the defensiveness people will initially have. If someone wants to debate at a minimum or throw subtle insults then it's good to have info in the back pocket.

• Agree
Reactions: fakei
Better to share than just write off people who don't agree/show some expected rudeness. It's also good practice for communication and navigating uncomfortable situations.

• Agree
Reactions: fakei
I've noticed this is an issue that can cause some conscience problems in people who are sensible to it but are not able to change. The mere act of saying one does not consume animal foods can make the listeners justify their positions.

I remember seeing one in The Vegetarian World hosted by William Shatner but there are several vegetarian rabbis according to the Internet.