February Health Challenge (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, so much for Zoloft. I took it for three nights. After the second night, I ran my car into the neighbor's fence. After the third, I ran a red light and nearly killed me and the poor man who had to swerve. So I'm done with that. :ttth:

I know antidepressants have side effects but most people are able to manage them, but I just got too scared to keep trying. I honestly don't remember feeling so "out of my head" when I took it 25 years or so ago. I remember taking it for a while and suddenly realizing that I felt much better. This time, though, I felt just so weird.

Anyone have any luck with St. Joh's wort?
Yikes Poppy! I don’t blame you for not wanting to continue. That is an odd reaction I think.

Oh, I forgot to mention that depression can get worse for people who are low in vitamin D and/or omega 3 fatty acids. It may also help to take a supplement, if you don't already.

Hugs, Poppy and Katrina.

I took today off from working out. Yesterday I did the treadmill again, a nice intense 32-minute session. I have been feeling a lot of anger about the guns debate in the U.S., and I just felt like I needed to climb, sweat, suck wind and whatever else I could do to mitigate those feelings. Tomorrow I might take a long walk before going to the movies to see a live Met performance of La Boheme. I love that they show the opera in theaters across the country. Not everyone can afford Met tickets, so this is a nice alternative.

I know antidepressants have side effects and most people are able to manage them, but I just got too scared to keep trying.

I can't handle them at all. I was on a low dose of Amitriptyline for a short while last year to help me with sleep and pain and I got such bizarre side effects that I had to stop.

Oh, I forgot to mention that depression can get worse for people who are low in vitamin D and/or omega 3 fatty acids. It may also help to take a supplement, if you don't already.

Yes, definitely.:yes:

*Ramble*

I haven't lost any more weight, but I have exercised a few times this week. I have been watching the old episodes of a programme called Doctor in the House and getting a lot of tips from the shows. I read the book the same doctor wrote this week too, and watched his TED talk!:D

The doctor on the show was saying that even wholemeal bread can spike your blood sugar higher than if you ate a snickers bar! I'm trying to cut down on bread as I worry about getting Type 2 diabetes as it runs in my family. I know I'm not pre diabetic or anything now as I just got my blood test in January, but it won't hurt for me to cut back on bread.

I do love bread, but I am going to eat the Burgen soya and linseed bread if I want some as that is meant to be better.

I've been doing better with the no sweets thing. I said no to cake and ice cream bars (well, I don't like ice cream that much anyway) at a birthday party yesterday. I've been mostly snacking on roasted almonds and trail mix instead of the usual chips or whatever other junk we used to have in the house.

It's been soooo much easier to eat better now that H is watching what he eats. He used to bring home so much junk food, and I don't have the willpower to say no to it when it's right in front of me.

I've still been too lazy to work out. I got addicted to a video game, and yeah.

*Ramble*

I haven't lost any more weight, but I have exercised a few times this week. I have been watching the old episodes of a programme called Doctor in the House and getting a lot of tips from the shows. I read the book the same doctor wrote this week too, and watched his TED talk!:D

The doctor on the show was saying that even wholemeal bread can spike your blood sugar higher than if you ate a snickers bar! I'm trying to cut down on bread as I worry about getting Type 2 diabetes as it runs in my family. I know I'm not pre diabetic or anything now as I just got my blood test in January, but it won't hurt for me to cut back on bread.

I do love bread, but I am going to eat the Burgen soya and linseed bread if I want some as that is meant to be better.

Not all wholemeal breads are equal. Some contain lots of sugar and no grains :

https://www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk/best-breads/

Not all wholemeal breads are equal. Some contain lots of sugar and no grains :

https://www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk/best-breads/

I'm pretty sure that I won't get gestational diabetes!:D The Burgen bread is pretty nice.

I've been having a migraine every three days after my period ends for months now because of low iron. I read that a study found that drinking a cup of instant coffee with a bread meal reduced iron absorption by 60–90%. I was craving toast with Marmite and a cup of tea or coffee all day, but I didn't give in and I didn't have a migraine, thank God!

I think I have finally worked out all of my migraine triggers.:up:

Do Coffee and Caffeine Inhibit Iron Absorption?

My exercise routine took a big hit this weekend. I woke up Saturday with a raging cold that I thought might be the flu, as I felt feverish and achy all day. I rested all weekend and took yesterday off from work as well. I'm still coughing a ton even though I feel much better, but I suspect I won't be working out much this week until the cough subsides. My eating has been much better, though, as I didn't have much of an appetite for crappy food. I ate soup and toast and sandwiches all weekend.

I'm pretty sure that I won't get gestational diabetes!:D The Burgen bread is pretty nice.

I've been having a migraine every three days after my period ends for months now because of low iron. I read that a study found that drinking a cup of instant coffee with a bread meal reduced iron absorption by 60–90%. I was craving toast with Marmite and a cup of tea or coffee all day, but I didn't give in and I didn't have a migraine, thank God!

I think I have finally worked out all of my migraine triggers.:up:

Do Coffee and Caffeine Inhibit Iron Absorption?

I thought that the given information on different breads was interesting. When you read the list of ingredients it's surprising to see the amount of sugar and additives that manufactures add.

I'm also certain that I won't be getting gestational diabetes neither !;)

I started walking this week because the weather was so nice and doing well on WW after hitting a plateau for almost two weeks. I dropped another pound, though, hence my treating myself to cake this weekend for my grandestdaughter’s birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.