Firsts- (1st for you or those close to you)....

Oh, my, does that ever look tasty!! :drool:

It is.. and you can use different vegetables too.... it seems like an odd idea but actually it ended up with a kind of solid custard texture...

I dont use the black sulphur salt though, its flavours are a bit strong for me.

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
So exciting! I've been to Jamaica, you'll love it. The people, the food, dancing the night away in the sand...
Only been once, with my parents... I was less than two years old. However, I have a distinct memory of a hotel room & a black woman (apparently my baby-sitter). I just mentioned that to my father & he said, "You're absolutely right." Can't believe I remember that. Weird.

Anyhoo, that sparked memories in my dad and he just started talking.... He told me about one day there when he was scuba-diving (he was BIG on that, I recall), his guide took him for a shallow dive & a deep dive in Montego Bay... not far away in Discovery Bay, en route back, low & behold, what does my dad see? The Calypso! Jacques Cousteau's ship!! :eek: My father, giddy as a school girl, asked if there was ANY way he could get on board... "This guy is my hero!" Sadly, no... only scientists, oceanographers and the like were allowed on board.

But he got to stare enviously at Jacques Cousteau's ship, mere yards away. That's a first! LOL

It is.. and you can use different vegetables too.... it seems like an odd idea but actually it ended up with a kind of solid custard texture...

I dont use the black sulphur salt though, its flavours are a bit strong for me.
Well, I wouldn't use ANY salt, so.... :rolleyes: LOL

This is so stupid! I got myself a ticket to see Patti Smith tomorrow and I'm anxious going alone! I've done all kinds of stuff alone, I just haven't done much of anything fun for some time!
Why am I almost having a panic attack thinking about it :confused:
I changed my forum style to "dark spartan". I like it!

Tried the whole cold orange in a hot shower thing.
Conclusion: people are weird. I don't know why this is a thing. Only good thing is you can eat oranges and not have sticky hands

Well, back in 2000 (when I was 48), I:

1) travelled by air for the first time;
2) visited Europe for the first time; and
3) cruised trans-Atlantic for the first time. (This was all within 3.5 weeks... Hmm, that was also the first time I'd been outside North America...)

This past week I had Vietnamese food for the first time (actually the second- but it was the first time I'd had these two particular dishes). And I had Sriracha sauce the first time (quite good, although it was tingly in my mouth). But I'm normally quite adventurous when it comes to food- so long as it doesn't have any animal parts or secretions, and won't probably make me physically ill, I'll try it... so I guess that wasn't much of an adventure by my standards.

I hope the concert was fun, Silva. I saw Paul McCartney back in 2011 (a big first) and hadn't found anyone who wanted to go with me. But the guy who wound up sitting next to me had gone alone too, and we had lots to talk about in-between sets.

I'm thinking it's hard to do a whole lot of major firsts in a short time. One every now and then, especially when we feel ourselves sliding into a rut, should be enough. (But I'd strive for at least one a year).

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
Well, back in 2000 (when I was 48), I:

1) travelled by air for the first time;
2) visited Europe for the first time; and
3) cruised trans-Atlantic for the first time. (This was all within 3.5 weeks... Hmm, that was also the first time I'd been outside North America...)

This past week I had Vietnamese food for the first time (actually the second- but it was the first time I'd had these two particular dishes). And I had Sriracha sauce the first time (quite good, although it was tingly in my mouth). But I'm normally quite adventurous when it comes to food- so long as it doesn't have any animal parts or secretions, and won't probably make me physically ill, I'll try it... so I guess that wasn't much of an adventure by my standards.

I hope the concert was fun, Silva. I saw Paul McCartney back in 2011 (a big first) and hadn't found anyone who wanted to go with me. But the guy who wound up sitting next to me had gone alone too, and we had lots to talk about in-between sets.

I'm thinking it's hard to do a whole lot of major firsts in a short time. One every now and then, especially when we feel ourselves sliding into a rut, should be enough. (But I'd strive for at least one a year).

Fantastic, Tom!! :D And I cannot BELIEVE no one wanted to go see Paul McCartney with you!! :argh:WTF is wrong with people?!

Well, I would've gone with ya.... :) LOL

Reactions: PTree15 and Tom L.
LOL! Probably couldn't afford tickets i'd guess!
Patti Smith was outstanding! Her voice is as vibrant as ever, and I can't believe she's 70!
I wasn't happy with the audience, not the youngsters at least

Reactions: Tom L.
LOL! Probably couldn't afford tickets i'd guess!
Patti Smith was outstanding! Her voice is as vibrant as ever, and I can't believe she's 70!
I wasn't happy with the audience, not the youngsters at least
Sweet!! :D Hey, did she perform "Dancing Barefoot"?? That's my fave.... :rolleyes:

Sweet!! :D Hey, did she perform "Dancing Barefoot"?? That's my fave.... :rolleyes:
Yes! After Horses she did Because the Night, Easter, People have the Power, Pissing in a River and after leaving the stage for a bit came back fiercely with their cover of My Generation-which they first covered in Cleveland.
Patti, Lenny Kaye, and Jay Dee Daugherty her original members, and her son Jackson on bass

I've mentioned this already elsewhere, but little miss Summer lost her first tooth a couple of weeks ago. And when I say "lost", I mean it. She literally couldn't find it! The adjacent tooth came out a couple of days later, and she managed to not lose that one. She keeps it in a special container :)

I'm just on my way home from a concert. I haven't been to any proper concerts in forever. I met up with one of my oldest friends and his wife to see ARW, i.e. Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman (all former members of Yes) in London. I had a pretty good time, and it was nice to put my mind off all the difficulties in my life for a while.

Tell us more. I absolutely love afternoon tea.
I thought you would say that :)

So my friend's wife was meeting with her friend from art history college, and this is why they went for afternoon tea. The friend had also brought her parents. The whole family was of Indian heritage, very posh, but also very nice. My friend and I wanted to meet up before the concert in the evening, so that is how I ended up being invited to this. We went to a place in Soho called Dean St Townhouse (I think).

The menu did say something at the bottom about dishes labelled with V and VE meaning vegetarian and vegan, correspondingly, but there were no items on the menu actually labelled VE. So I talked to the waitress, and she talked to the kitchen. In the end, they managed to come up with something, although we did have to wait a fair while. (We should have warned them when we booked.) There were sandwiches (two with cucumber, one with tomatoes ...), there was tea, and there were several vegan raw-like cookies (?), some decorated with fresh berries on top. The others were served similar things.

I ate well, drank what seemed like several litres of tea, and chatted with the friend's dad who was knowledgable about a wide range of topics. When it was time to leave, the friend picked up the whole bill for us :)

I didn't hate it, but it wasn't as frothy as I wanted.
Bailey's and coke is better :D