Firsts- (1st for you or those close to you)....

I didn't hate it, but it wasn't as frothy as I wanted.
Bailey's and coke is better :D
OK, that reminds me... (you might dig this).... Way back when I bartended at Bailey's :weird:, I came up with a concoction that became quite a hit for while. We had Jumpin' Johnny's root beer on tap... I took a frosty mug, added ice, a couple shots of Dr. McGillicuddy's vanilla schnapps (I guess you could use vanilla vodka instead... we didn't have that), then filled with draft root beer (creating a "head), & drizzled a bit of cream (half & half, whatever) on top of the foam.... ROOT BEER FLOAT WITH A KICK!! ;)

Even the big, tough guys from the concrete & automotive plants started ordering them regularly.... :p LOL

Reactions: Danielle
I just purchased my very first tofu! :weird: I know! And I'm about to make my very first vegan quiche... perhaps my first quiche in over 20 years.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm goin' for it! :dance: LMAO

Not a big first, but I made rice in my slow-cooker this past week. I was a bit worried it would stick, because I didn't grease it with margarine first, but thought: as soon as it gets warm, the margarine will melt and float to the top of the cooking water anyway. I just cooked white rice, brown lentils, and a big sprig of lovage. It didn't stick to the pot, but some of the rice was pasty-overcooked while some grains hadn't cooked fully. Anyway, I cooked some white beans with plain water in it right after I scooped out the rice and rinsed the pot.

Not a "first" but it has been almost eight years... I've rejoined Twitter! :eek: LMAO

I think that & VV will be the extent of my social-media-ness. There no way in hell I'm ever returning to FB. **shudder** I need to figure out how all this sh*t works now... again. :p

If any of you have Twitter, please find me (@MadamSarcastra, of course)... it'd be nice to have real friends. :rolleyes:

And just now somebody commented on my post?? Where the f*ck is it? I don't see it. I don't know what's happening.... :fp: LOL

Reactions: Amy SF and Val
I'm following you on Twitter now. :D

I have a Twitter account but rarely use it. Facebook is more my speed. I've read some interesting things that come up in my Facebook feed. I manage by having very few Facebook friends and filtering my feed very carefully. If I don't like something or someone, I unfollow or turn it off or hide or whatever.

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
Not a "first" but it has been almost eight years... I've rejoined Twitter! :eek: LMAO

I think that & VV will be the extent of my social-media-ness. There no way in hell I'm ever returning to FB. **shudder** I need to figure out how all this sh*t works now... again. :p

If any of you have Twitter, please find me (@MadamSarcastra, of course)... it'd be nice to have real friends. :rolleyes:

And just now somebody commented on my post?? Where the f*ck is it? I don't see it. I don't know what's happening.... :fp: LOL
:p:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I clicked on "MadameSarcasma" by mistake! :woo: It was theatherty enough, but not the "you" i knew- then I realized it wasn't! Silly me

I bought my first Dragon Fruit- I'd never heard of them, but it's the fruit of a cactus native to central America and whereabouts, grown commercially for its fruit in similarly-warm areas. I bought it because it looked intriguing- like some weird organism that a Star Trek away team or Dr Who might come across in their travels. (If my posts from now on seem weird, it might be because I was taken over by some entity...) :eek: :p

It's deep rosy-red when ripe, and has bracts(?) that look kinda like scales- hence the name. It's also called Pitaya(sp?- doing this from memory). I think I'll like it; it's supposed to taste like a cross between kiwi fruit and pear (two faves of mine).

Oh- and it cost $6.99. But it's fairly big. (That's another first for me: I'd never spent that much on one piece of fruit that wasn't the size of a watermelon or pumpkin!)

And another first: I ate my Dragon Fruit yesterday.

It indeed tasted like something between a kiwi fruit and a pear. The flesh was much like that of a watermelon, but slightly firmer and less juicy- white, with many very small kiwi-like seeds. It was easy to eat by spooning out the fruit from the peel; the reddish peel isn't supposed to be good to eat. But the flavor was rather bland. I don't think I'll be getting another one unless the price comes way down.

A few of the seeds were in the fruit I couldn't spoon out. Maybe I'll plant them... photos of the plant in fruit seem to indicate I could grow it in a large pot.

^ Some of the vegan people I used to talk to online went through a phase of making kale chips and now I can't bear them as I ate them so much.:p

I bought my first Dragon Fruit- I'd never heard of them, but it's the fruit of a cactus native to central America and whereabouts, grown commercially for its fruit in similarly-warm areas.

I was going to say that I ate a dragon fruit, but I looked on my phone and it wasn't that. I'm not sure what it was that I ate, something exotic.:D

Reactions: Val
I made my very first batch of kale chips! And they're f*cking AMAZING!! In fact, they're all gone now.... :rolleyes: LOL
That's why I haven't made them in a while- One tray is enough for me, but I share, and then don't feel like making another tray and I still want more. I hate when I have things that don't seem like enough! :oops:

I tried Morningstar steak strips the other day. they finally listened to my emails about clearly labeling vegan and vegetarian options :cool:. These are vegan. I sauted them with onions and peppers in a bit of oil, and they were kinda not good. Then I put some Just mayo on some rye bread with a lot of nooch and that sandwich was fantastic! :drool:
I think I would I buy these again to have just like that- or on a crusty sub roll! Just like a steak and cheese. Seriously, if you haven't put nooch on vegan mayo- it's the cheeesiest way I ever do nooch!

Reactions: Val
Very excited to make my very first batch of pub cheese/beer cheese dip, vegan or otherwise.... :dance:

I've got the cauliflower roasting in the oven (seasoned with Mrs. Dash, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, & nooch)... already pulsed Daiya cheddar-shreds, a slice of Chao, more nooch, & some tapioca starch in the food processor... put that stuff aside.

I guess I'm gonna wait until the cauliflower cools, blend that up with some soy milk, add that to a sauce pan, and wing it from there, slowly heating & adding the "cheese" & Guinness....

I really hope this turn out... in my mind, it already tastes amazing with the dill Triscuits... first time I've tried those, too! So nummy!! :lick:

I am going to attempt to make pasta dough for the first time.... I hope to make ravioli (with my tiny dough press)... already defrosted my remaining spinach/kale/artichoke/tofu ricotta for a filling... I also took a small tub of mushroom gravy out of the freezer (been in there for months), started thinking I could make a stroganoff sauce out of it (I still have enough Tofutti "sour cream").... So I guess I hope to make vegan ravioli stroganoff. LOL :p

Oh, in other news... Jerry got a smart phone! :weird:

Reactions: Amy SF
My first trip to Costco. And probably my last- at least afternoon on a sat! :eek:
Parking lot was huggggggeeee. Store was elbow to elbow! And unlike Walmarts stereotype, people mostly were really thin! :p Didn't help because the carts were as big as a tiny house!
Did get a box of individual veg yakisoda noodles. I really like those :lick:. Perfect to grab for work lunch last minute!
I did get a 24 oz pack of baby bella mushrooms. I should make raviolis!
@MadamSarcastra are you doing any kind of a cashew creme?

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
are you doing any kind of a cashew creme?
Nope, I'm using that "ricotta" filling I mentioned in my above post. I don't use cashews for anything anymore... haven't in many, many months. The exception would be the few cashew halves that are in those frozen Kashi noodle bowls I like....

'Blood cashews': the toxic truth about your favourite nut
The nuts – 60 per cent of which are processed in India – are exceptionally hard to extract. A cashew has two layers of hard shell between which are caustic substances – cardol and anacardic acid – which can cause vicious burns.

Many of the women who work in the cashew industry have permanent damage to their hands from this corrosive liquid, because factories do not routinely provide gloves. For their pains they earn about 160 rupees for a 10-hour day: £1.70.

Conditions in Vietnam may be even worse than in India. Cashews are sometimes shelled by drug addicts in forced labour camps, who are beaten and subjected to electric shocks. Time magazine has described this trade as “blood cashews”.

Last edited:
Well, things were going quite well... made a very simple seasoned dough, rolled some of it out nice & thin, cut four circles with the underside of my smallest dough press....

Ravioli1.JPG

Then things decided to go south... the dough seemed to thicken on its own... and no matter how little filling I plopped down, that cheap-*** dough press ain't gonna work. LOL :rolleyes: So, I'll continue with this tomorrow or Monday. I'm glad I have back-up food.... :p LMAO