Gardein Fishless Fillets

We found the Gardein "fish" to be pretty good. I don't really remember real fish that well but it seemed to be a good imitation of the frozen fillets we use to eat.

I really liked them and I was never a fish fan. I minced up garlic, a bit of onion and a pickle with soy cream cheese and a dash of mustard powder and lemon juice for a tarter like sauce.

I thought it was BETTER than any of the fish fillets in the grocery store ever were. Even when I did eat that crap the processed fish seemed disgusting.

Reactions: Poppy
I thought it was BETTER than any of the fish fillets in the grocery store ever were. Even when I did eat that crap the processed fish seemed disgusting.
This. I really like them. They definitely did not have a seaweed taste. I make a vegan tartar sauce for them, and they are delicious.

Reactions: ledboots
Ok I bought them...I'm hoping they are not the ones I tried before and didn't like because they ended up in the garbage. *fingers crossed*

Edited to add...oh yum! Definitely not the ones I had. They are really good although I didn't have relish to make tartar sauce so I used vegenaise and sriracha instead. Tartar sauce would have made it even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15
I liked them too, and so did my husband. We had the fillets in fish sandwiches with shreddy lettuce and lots of tartar sauce. And lemon. Adult vegan son did not like the texture, but he only rarely eats fake meats in any case.

Reactions: PTree15
Ok I bought them...I'm hoping they are not the ones I tried before and didn't like because they ended up in the garbage. *fingers crossed*

Edited to add...oh yum! Definitely not the ones I had. They are really good although I didn't have relish to make tartar sauce so I used vegenaise and sriracha instead. Tartar sauce would have made it even better.
Haha, I do the same thing when I don't have relish. So glad you liked them. :)

Reactions: KLS52
I bought a couple of packets during my stay in California and I must say I was quite surprised by the taste. The batter is nice and crispy, however the texture is blah. It certainly doesn't have a over salty taste neither. Sadly, it doesn't taste anything like real fish.

You cannot beat Gardein Crabless cakes.

Last edited:
I bought a couple of packets during my stay in California and I must say I was quite surprised by the taste. The batter is nice and crispy and the texture is similar to that of firm fish. It certainly doesn't have a over salty taste neither. However, it doesn't taste anything like real fish.
I have always liked the taste of "fish". :) I add a bit of kelp granules to the tarter sauce to give it more of a fishy flavor.

My friend has decided she wants to try more meatless/vegan options. I made the fish fillets and she loved them! She's going to try a few of the other Gardein products now.

We went away for a few days and out of 8 meals she ate 5 vegan, 2 vegetarian and only one with meat. I thought that was pretty cool!

Last edited:
I just had these tonight. I have these basically at least once a week at this point. They are one of my favorite fake meats, if not my favorite entirely.

Even if you were never super fond of fish, you owe it to yourself to try these at least once, with a bit of vegan tartar sauce on a bun. Absolutely delicious.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I think they are pretty good. :) Not at all seaweed-y.

Last edited:
Reactions: Second Summer