Growing old is not for sissies

There is, also, a not so young woman at work...she's around 55...who had her hair done in pink and blue. It looks so pretty. I might have a picture...

This is from a month ago.
IMG_6982.JPG

I would be doomed if I needed to look professional at work. We are considered business casual. I dress nicely most days. Some days I push the envelope and go extra casual. But most days the hair doesn't fit the bill. I would need to slick it back in a tight bun, which is not an attractive look for me. So instead, I let it do its thing and hope for the best. I do wear it up often but there's always pieces hanging. It's just the way it is. At this point, it's become pretty much me and suits my whacky personality. I swear, by the time I die, I will have reached a point of being totally comfortable in my skin. Hopefully, I will have plenty of time to get there, haha. :)

It looks nice, is that all her real hair or is it hair extensions as well? I have known middle aged women with bright coloured hair and it looks good.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Her real hair. That was right after the salon visit so it looks extra nice. She doesn't often spend the time on it to get the smooth waves. It can look a little dry and straggly on an average day but the color still looks good.

Reactions: PTree15
My hair never grows that long. It gets to a few inches past my shoulders and then stops growing for some reason.

Her real hair. That was right after the salon visit so it looks extra nice. She doesn't often spend the time on it to get the smooth waves. It can look a little dry and straggly on an average day but the color still looks good.
That is absolutely gorgeous!
Grey/white comes in so many varieties. I have dingy whites, and they're that gnarly texture. When I let it go it looks like an ashtray :rolleyes:. I've been using henna, and keeping it short so it's easy for me to do, but it grows so darn fast I can't up with henna or cutting! I should mix some up to do it tomorrow. I like how it colors the white a coppery red!

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
That is absolutely gorgeous!
Grey/white comes in so many varieties. I have dingy whites, and they're that gnarly texture. When I let it go it looks like an ashtray :rolleyes:. I've been using henna, and keeping it short so it's easy for me to do, but it grows so darn fast I can't up with henna or cutting! I should mix some up to do it tomorrow. I like how it colors the white a coppery red!
I should look into henna. Is it permanent, as in it has to grow out, or does it wash out over time?

I should look into henna. Is it permanent, as in it has to grow out, or does it wash out over time?
It is permanent! Do not use over previously dyed hair. I did the first time I used it, my hair was long and slightly lightened without any greys. It came out flame red! It's not so exteme over naturally white hairs though, but is pretty coppery. It imparts a auburn over naturally brown hair.
It's very messy to use with long hair, and kinda hard to get all out- you should use a cheap conditioner to rinse it out. that's a big reason I now keep mine short. Ive gotten so good at it I don't always even wear gloves- it does stain!
If you get it from an Indian store choose one also made for skin as they're more pure. It's cheap. You need to mix with very warm water and let sit overnight.

Thanks silva! Sounds like I'll skip it, then, as I don't want to do anything permanent, at least not right now. I've gone thus far with growing it out, I would hate to have to start over!

I was wondering, do you think it is easier to deal with ageing for someone who has had early grey hair (like already in their 20s)? I mean then they don't take it as the sign of ageing. For me it is hard to deal with my few grey hair.

I was wondering, do you think it is easier to deal with ageing for someone who has had early grey hair (like already in their 20s)? I mean then they don't take it as the sign of ageing. For me it is hard to deal with my few grey hair.

My gray hair started coming in at age 27. It didn’t bother me for a few years because most of my hair was still a natural brown. But once I hit my forties, I was getting more and more gray hair, and that’s when I decided to start dyeing it.

I think at your age, a few gray hairs will seem interesting and even hip, and nobody will see it and think you’re “old”. (Well, teenagers might, if you care about their opinion.) However, you may feel differently in ten years. In my forties, I was also facing the prospect of changing jobs, and when you go for job interviews, as a woman, you want to look fresh and young and vital, not old and tired, which is how society sees women with gray hair. It sucks, I know.