Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I rinse it with hot water after cooking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just cook it, strain it, eat it

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Some other method

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
Like others, I wouldn't use the oven for something that small for an hour - I guess it's the cheapskate in me. I do use the toaster oven for a lot of small stuff, but I think my rice cooker is more energy efficient than even the toaster oven.

Whether a rice maker is worthwhile probably depends on how often one makes rice (or other grains, such as quinoa, steelcut oats, etc.)

Do most people in the USA cook rice in a rice cooker?
I bought a rice cooker last year, and after using it a few times, I've found myself mostly just cooking rice on the stove. The rice cooker does a good job, but I'm usually too lazy to clean all of the parts after using it. It's much quicker for me to just clean a pot and lid and be done with it.

People love their rice cookers, but I just haven't found a very practical use for mine yet (I don't do a lot of slow cooking). I think I made a mistake by buying one that's way too big for my needs.

I bought a rice cooker last year, and after using it a few times, I've found myself mostly just cooking rice on the stove. The rice cooker does a good job, but I'm usually too lazy to clean all of the parts after using it. It's much quicker for me to just clean a pot and lid and be done with it.

People love their rice cookers, but I just haven't found a very practical use for mine yet (I don't do a lot of slow cooking). I think I made a mistake by buying one that's way too big for my needs.

What parts do you have to clean on yours? Mine has an insert bowl that I wash, and then I just wipe the lid and outside of the cooker off with a damp towel. And it cooks the rice at least as quickly as it's cooked in a pot on the stove.

What parts do you have to clean on yours? Mine has an insert bowl that I wash, and then I just wipe the lid and outside of the cooker off with a damp towel. And it cooks the rice at least as quickly as it's cooked in a pot on the stove.
Mine has the bowl, a removable steam vent, and another attachment on the outside that collects moisture. Now that you mention it, it probably take me all of an extra 30 seconds to wash it, but I'm a lazy man.

I did try cooking steel cut oats in it once, and it made a huge ungodly mess. I must have used half a roll of paper towels cleaning all of the foam off my counter.

Mine has an insert bowl that I wash, and then I just wipe the lid and outside of the cooker off with a damp towel. And it cooks the rice at least as quickly as it's cooked in a pot on the stove.

Same. I wipe the inside of the lid, and take the lid insert out to clean well once a month or so. Mine has a good-quality non-stick bowl that's far easier to clean than my regular pans.
I think my rice cooker uses less energy than my stove/oven, doesn't heat up the kitchen, and frees up a burner on my stove.

That said, I think cooking rice on the stove might be the better option if you don't eat rice frequently. I'd recommend a rice cooker for anyone who eats rice frequently.

I don't put the lid on.
:eek: The grains soak up the water better if you use a lid.

I read an article about arsenic in rice, and it had several steps to take to reduce the arsenic in rice. It said to wash the raw rice (all kinds) thoroughly until the water runs clear, and they advised cooking the rice in a big pot with lots of water, like pasta, and then straining it. I guess then fluff with a fork? :)

I have always washed rice like that, but I've never cooked it in a bunch of water. I use a heavy pot with a lid and about double the water to rice ratio, I don't measure.

I read an article about arsenic in rice, and it had several steps to take to reduce the arsenic in rice. It said to wash the raw rice (all kinds) thoroughly until the water runs clear, and they advised cooking the rice in a big pot with lots of water, like pasta, and then straining it. I guess then fluff with a fork? :)

Yes, I cook it like I do pasta and then usually chuck in some frozen veggies just before the end. I don't always rinse it beforehand though but I think I will now I've read this thread!

Me too.

If anyone who has a rice cooker wants to post what brand/size they have it would be appreciated. So many on Amazon with conflicting reviews...it's overwhelming. :)

Apparently you can't rinse the arsenic off as once it's in the grain, you can't get rid of it. You should avoid rice that
is grown in the US, France, Italy and Bagladesh.

http://www.foodsmatter.com/allergy_...management/articles/rice_arsenic_1_03.10.html
This FDA study is pretty new, but it looks as if washing it may be the safe way to go if you know your water is low in arsenic. Also California rice is pretty low in arsenic, avoid southeastern US rice.
From http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...inorganic-arsenic-rice-consumption-brown-rice

"We talked to experts for some advice.Rinse your rice thoroughly. The FDA cites several studies indicating that "thoroughly rinsing rice until the water is clear (four to six changes of water) reduced the total arsenic content by up to approximately 25-30 percent.
"Check your municipal water report. "Make sure your local water supply does not have high levels of arsenic," says John Duxbury of Cornell University, who studies arsenic and rice. "If you do have high levels, washing can make it worse. But if you are under 10 parts per billion, it should help.
"Cook and drain your rice sort of like pasta. "We say to use about 6 parts water to 1 part rice," says Michael Hansen, a senior staff scientist at Consumer Reports. "And then drain off the water after it's done."
The FDA says that studies show rinsing and cooking in excess water can reduce total arsenic levels by 50 to 60 percent. "However, it should be noted that for enriched rice, rinsing will also likely reduce the amount of added nutrients," the agency said.

Best method I've used, from Alton Brown:
preheat oven to 375 F. Oil a 8x8 casserole.
Add 2 1/2 cups boiling water (or broth) to
1 1/2 cups brown rice.
Cover and bake exactly 1 hour.

Fluffy and not sticky. Nothing to worry about and no rice cooker.
I am going to try this.

Table_22_3.jpg

From my online text book.