Religion How many Catholics here?

I think being brought up Catholic has had an impact on my views but I was feminist from a young age so I rejected all the derogatory crap about women and I was always pro-choice so I didn't pay much attention to that rule either. I still think there is some value in the philosophy of the Catholic religion and the same with most religions, well apart from Scientology.:p

:confused: Because of the film?

Yes!

The back-story: We discussed earlier that day which movies we would like to see. We decided we would see Sleepless in Seattle, although during the discussion I mentioned (briefly and in passing) that What's Love Got to Do With It? seemed interesting to me. But we decided on Sleepless in Seattle. Carol was always late in getting ready, so we arrived at the theater (a multiplex) about two minutes before the movie was to start. I shoved some money in her hand, let her out of the car, and told her to buy the tickets while I parked the car, and I'd meet her in the lobby.

When I met her in the lobby, she had tickets in her hand. To What's Love Got to Do With It? and not Sleepless in Seattle.

So we go into see What's Love Got to Do With It? She remains silent during the film.

As I am driving her home, she starts crying and lets loose this angry tirade. How could I take her to see this horrible film? An exercise in pure sadism with no redeeming value. She tells me her second husband used to smack her around, and the movie opened up all sorts of emotional wounds. And I was a heartless ******* for subjecting her to this horrible, vicious, violent movie.

Yes!

The back-story: We discussed earlier that day which movies we would like to see. We decided we would see Sleepless in Seattle, although during the discussion I mentioned (briefly and in passing) that What's Love Got to Do With It? seemed interesting to me. But we decided on Sleepless in Seattle. Carol was always late in getting ready, so we arrived at the theater (a multiplex) about two minutes before the movie was to start. I shoved some money in her hand, let her out of the car, and told her to buy the tickets while I parked the car, and I'd meet her in the lobby.

When I met her in the lobby, she had tickets in her hand. To What's Love Got to Do With It? and not Sleepless in Seattle.

So we go into see What's Love Got to Do With It? She remains silent during the film.

As I am driving her home, she starts crying and lets loose this angry tirade. How could I take her to see this horrible film? An exercise in pure sadism with no redeeming value. She tells me her second husband used to smack her around, and the movie opened up all sorts of emotional wounds. And I was a heartless ******* for subjecting her to this horrible, vicious, violent movie.

But.....she bought the tickets. o_O

Yes!

what a moron.

I have seen sleepless in Seattle with my parents 19 years ago in Laughlin NV at that movie theater at one of the hotels we went to not sure which one.

Sorry, you didn't have to tell me the whole story Joe.:oops: It seems like the film was a trigger for her and you didn't do anything wrong on your side. It is a harrowing film.

I was raised Catholic, but I never bought into the whole thing, even at an early age. Now I am an atheist, actually I guess I pretty much always was, it just took me a long time to recognize it. So I guess you could say my Catholic upbringing didn't "take".

Sorry, you didn't have to tell me the whole story Joe.:oops:

Sorry if I bored you.

It seems like the film was a trigger for her and you didn't do anything wrong on your side. It is a harrowing film.

I guess I just saw the violence as the basis or backdrop for a story of a woman who triumphs over adversity, with the help of Buddhism or at least of Buddhist meditation techniques. I thought the film had plenty of "redeeming value." :)

I was raised Catholic, but I never bought into the whole thing, even at an early age. Now I am an atheist, actually I guess I pretty much always was, it just took me a long time to recognize it. So I guess you could say my Catholic upbringing didn't "take".[/quote]

Good for you.:up:

Sorry if I bored you.
I dunno about others, but I was entertained :) I would have clicked "Like", but on second thought that would perhaps seem a bit insensitive.

But to get back on topic, am I a Catholic? No, not at all :) We don't have a lot of Catholics where I come from. Catholicism was eradicated in Norway as part of the Reformation, but I guess they weren't completely fanatical, so they kept some holidays and celebrations such as St Lucy's Day on 13 December, and St John's Eve on 23 June. Also, the Pope's Midnight Mass in St Peter's Cathedral on Christmas Eve is always aired on the national broadcaster.

I was raised Catholic, but I haven't practiced since my early teens (pretty much stopped after my mandated confirmation). I was subjected to Catholic school and began questioning religion pretty early on. It got me into heaps of trouble with the nuns on a regular basis.

My fathers family side are Catholic but he didnt like it and became an Atheist when he was a teenager. I did go to a few masses and Communions but that was just for show when my father had to pretend to be a Catholic for someone such as his employer, later on he would make fun of it.

My mothers family is more seriously religious, they are Anglican (Church of England) so most church services I went to were Anglican ones. I expect if I ever get married it will be in an Anglican church rather than a Catholic one.

Oh, and I really found Sleepless in Seattle to be really annoying. I remember seeing it and it annoyed me on so many levels.

Oh, and I really found Sleepless in Seattle to be really annoying. I remember seeing it and it annoyed me on so many levels.

I eventually saw Sleepless in Seattle. It was kind of a dopey romantic comedy, but I thought it was ok. If we had seen it as we discussed and agreed to, I don't think it would have resulted in tears, rage, and a break-up.

I didn't like Sleepless when I first saw it, but for some reason I liked it better the second and third time.