I am knew!!!:)

Should I challenge my class to not waste food or try to go Vegan for spring break?

• Total voters

Jeremy Sturm

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
hello guys I am not a vegan but I want to learn more about it. I want to become a vegan after I finish highschool. I can't right now because I live on a small farm in Texas and all the food that we eat we get from the farm. the only food that we get from a store is for our two german shepards. Anyways I am writing a paper on veganism and just thought this would help me more and not have to make assumptions if you would be willing to help me let me know that would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, guys, I am not a vegan but I want to learn more about it. I want to become a vegan after I finish high school. I can't right now because I live on a small farm in Texas and all the food that we eat we get from the farm. The only food that we get from a store is for our two German shepherds. Anyways I am writing a paper on veganism and just thought this would help me more and not have to make assumptions. If you would be willing to help me let me know that would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I know some kids who think misspelling words if fun. But you really should make a better effort to spell words correctly. And to use grammar and punctuation correctly.
I'm pretty sure your HS teachers would not be impressed with the paragraph above.

When conversing with adults, it's best to make a good impression by using the English language correctly. You might want to install Grammarly on your computer. It is sort of a spell checker. Or if you have a spell checker, use it.

Your question in the poll isn't set up right. We can't really answer a question that includes "or" with a "yes or no". I gave you a "yes" anyway.

I would be happy to help you with your investigation. Hopefully, you won't mind that my help will also include correcting grammar and spelling errors

There are basically three reasons people go vegan. When describing veganism those three reasons can also be your sub-topics.

A. Ethics
B. Environmental
C. Health

They don't have to be in that order. But I think that order is logical.

If you are with me so far, then I suggest you think of some questions to post here and we will try to answer.

Oh! I know that my nieces and nephews have been taught in school to write reports with a thesis question or statement. Most of the time the teacher provides the question. When thinking of a question you might want to focus on just one aspect of veganism. For instance, Is animal testing necessary?

• Haha
Reactions: Veganite
Hi Lou,

“German shepherds” would be fine if we are discussing Germans who are looking after sheep. But if we are talking about dogs then surely it should be “German Shepherds”. ;)

Roger.

Hi Lou,

“German shepherds” would be fine if we are discussing Germans who are looking after sheep. But if we are talking about dogs then surely it should be “German Shepherds”. ;)

Roger.

Roger, please let us not argue in front of the children. You know how it makes them upset.

Nitpicking the nitpicker?

You are not technically correct. I won't take points off because you do see the breeds of animals capitalized in publications. These tend to be animal specific publications, like the AKC, so they do have some authority. But are also special cases.

According to the MLA,
Do not routinely capitalize the names of dog breeds. Many breed names are composed of proper nouns that you capitalize and generic terms (like retriever or terrier) that you lowercase.

Breed names are often composed of a place-name, as in these references to the breed’s country of origin:

French bulldog

German shepherd
https://style.mla.org/capitalizing-names-of-dog-breeds/

This is also how it is done in the Dictionary
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/German shepherd

BTW, this rule goes across the entire animal kingdom, ie Texas longhorn. But like I said, there are many examples of publications that do not follow this rule.

@Lou what about the subject... I am knew? :)

@Jeremy Sturm - welcome to the forum and all the best in your schooling and all the best with your paper

You can't really "go vegan for spring break" as veganism is a lifetime commitment. You could try a whole food plant-based diet for spring break and that would give you some insights into what it is partially like to live as a vegan.

As @Lou pointed out, being a vegan means having a good understanding of the impact of animal agriculture and animal exploitation has on our environment, on our health and on the rights of the animals.

It is a fascinating topic and I am sure that it would a great one coming from your perspective of being a Texan and having grown up on a farm. @Lou has suggested focusing in on one question and my suggestion for that question would be "do we need to eat animal products for our health?"

Emma JC

You can't really "go vegan for spring break" as veganism is a lifetime commitment.

I don't think he said that. He said he wanted to become vegan after high school.

I also don't think there is a time requirement for veganism. Certainly not "lifetime". You could only be determined to be vegan after your death?
And what about experiments and challenges. People take the 30-Day Vegan challenge or try a week of being vegan. There are also those examples of famous vegans going back to meat. Were they not vegan before?

I don't think he said that. He said he wanted to become vegan after high school.

I also don't think there is a time requirement for veganism. Certainly not "lifetime". You could only be determined to be vegan after your death?
And what about experiments and challenges. People take the 30-Day Vegan challenge or try a week of being vegan. There are also those examples of famous vegans going back to meat. Were they not vegan before?

His poll was
Should I challenge my class to not waste food or try to go Vegan for spring break?

My point was being vegan isn't just about eating - it is about so many other things and so going vegan for spring break would likely just be about eating and that is a good thing to do but it is a vegan diet or WFPB diet not really about "being" vegan.

Unless you were born into a vegan family (which thankfully many are these days) there isn't anyone who could be considered vegan after their death. It is a lifetime commitment for those of us who weren't born into it.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
You can't really "go vegan for spring break" as veganism is a lifetime commitment. You could try a whole food plant-based diet for spring break and that would give you some insights into what it is partially like to live as a vegan.
This is a good point, and brings up how you could start with understanding the generally-accepted definition of veganism, which involves seeking to avoid any and all unnecesary harm to animals - which means vegans don't wear leather, fur, down, wool, etc. So all yourself then, if sometime can take that position and only do it for a couple weeks.

If you want to focus diet only, be sure you are making that clear. Using the term "plant based diet" would be better.

Reactions: Emma JC