In a relationship, how much age difference do you think is wise?

My first serious relationship, I was 19 and he was 28. We were both going to school and had a good group of mutual friends. Broke off the engagement/relationship after 4 years.
Then years later, the next relationship was a 6 year difference. And now my current (hopefully last) is a 10 year difference.
Even though the first and 3rd age differences are close, I am much more "me" now than I was then. And that includes all the awkwardness and everything else.
But how much age difference is "wise"? No clue as I think it's completely an individual thing. Maturity/what each person is looking for in life at that moment(or in the future). Lots of factors.

I am of the opinion that age is not really an issue as long as the persons are compatible and of course legal. :D
My first husband was a year and a half older and that worked out well as we were both young and raised our boys together and "grew up" together. Ultimately we grew apart as our interests changed as we matured. My second husband is MUCH younger (25 years younger, younger than my sons) BUT he has what I like to describe as an "old soul" as he likes the same things I do and our interests were so alike we just worked.... for a while. We are no longer together but remain long distance friends and will always have feelings for one another. However the age difference was not the reason we broke up (long story) as he has a current "girlfriend" who is only a few years younger than me. The point is that it really depends on the people involved.

Reactions: PiSis and ledboots
I am 13 years younger then my husband and I am seeing some problems with it already, I been hinting I want a younger man that can take care of me better, I am in process of this maybe.

A couple of things have gotten me thinking lately. Yesterday, my daughter and I successfully helped a 19-year old woman escape an abusive relationship with a man in his mid-thirties. Also, my daughter, 23, is starting to go out with a guy who's 38. He seems and looks much younger; he's a punk musician (with a day job.) He has no kids or ex wives, and hasn't been to jail. I haven't mentioned his age to my husband yet, I'm not sure what he'll think.

Curious to how this is working out or if it is. I'd be a bit uncomfortable if my daughter (or sons) started dating someone closer to my age than theirs. Not saying I wouldn't be supportive if the person truly made them happy and they were a good person, but it would just be weird. That being said my grandfather's aunt (so we're talking a long time ago as my gramps is 96) married a 20 yo when she was 40... they were married for 55 years before she died.

Curious to how this is working out or if it is. I'd be a bit uncomfortable if my daughter (or sons) started dating someone closer to my age than theirs. Not saying I wouldn't be supportive if the person truly made them happy and they were a good person, but it would just be weird. That being said my grandfather's aunt (so we're talking a long time ago as my gramps is 96) married a 20 yo when she was 40... they were married for 55 years before she died.
Nope, she broke it off early on. She said, horrified, "he's on blood pressure meds!" Lol. That wasn't the only reason, obviously, I think their friends being so different was a big part of it. I wasn't crazy about him anyway. ;)

My ex is 12 years older than I, and though he's my ex, the age difference had nothing to do with our troubles. I always found guys my own age to not be where I was maturity-wise. Maybe that would change now that I'm almost up there in age with Ledboots. :D Still, I wouldn't want to go much younger unless the guy was a real old soul or wise beyond his years.

My ex is 12 years older than I, and though he's my ex, the age difference had nothing to do with our troubles. I always found guys my own age to not be where I was maturity-wise. Maybe that would change now that I'm almost up there in age with Ledboots. :D Still, I wouldn't want to go much younger unless the guy was a real old soul or wise beyond his years.

I married an older woman... I give her grief about it for about 9 months every year. :p then I catch up.

Reactions: kazyeeqen