I am thankful we have the big one because I freeze the extras. The bean soup I made last night was from beans I cooked a couple of weeks ago ( a huge batch ) and I froze 3 containers worth and so the soup was even easier than usual because the beans were already cooked. I cooked them plain, last time, so that I could add whichever vegetables I wanted when I used them so not even any onions or garlic, just water and beans. The pea soup freezes so perfectly too and so we do love the large batches.

The immersion blender is great for soups and I used it last night for the chip dip I made from the silken tofu, it made it perfectly silky.

Emma JC

Reactions: betiPT and Lou
i made split pea soup too. had one big bowl and put one 2+ cup Tupperware in the frig and another in the freezer.
Tonight I'm making black beans and plan on doing about the same with the storage. but the beans I like to freeze in one-cup portions. Always keep one in the frig and the rest in the freezer.

Reactions: betiPT
I am thankful we have the big one because I freeze the extras. The bean soup I made last night was from beans I cooked a couple of weeks ago ( a huge batch ) and I froze 3 containers worth and so the soup was even easier than usual because the beans were already cooked. I cooked them plain, last time, so that I could add whichever vegetables I wanted when I used them so not even any onions or garlic, just water and beans. The pea soup freezes so perfectly too and so we do love the large batches.

The immersion blender is great for soups and I used it last night for the chip dip I made from the silken tofu, it made it perfectly silky.

Emma JC

Absolutely agree with @Emma JC, using an immersion blender with Instant Pot! Stainless steel insert, no worries! I have seen people transferring hot liquid into a blender such as a vita-mix, and it always makes me cringe. It is like watching an accident about to happen.

Reactions: Lou
@Lou What brand is it? I have used mine to death over the last 8 or so years and it's really not a very good one, so I'm kinda in the basket for a really good one

Oh I thought you were asking about the Instant Pot. but maybe you were asking about the immersion blender. It's a Breville. The Contol Grip.
Shoot. It's really expensive. I hope my sister got a good deal.

Just moved to a new place, buying all kitchen accessories. Just got an Instapot, wanted to know what kind of thing are you guys making in the instapot? also any dishes that wont take a lot of time to prepare?

I've only had mine since Christmas. I use it at least once a week. Rice is probably the thing I make in it most often. And then beans. Then soups. Split pea is maybe my favorite. Lentil soup or lentil stew is another good one.

Reactions: betiPT and Emma JC
beans, soups, potatoes - I love doing potatoes and sweet potatoes and sometimes carrots (at the same time) and then using them for oven baked fries or wedges or as homefries with garlic and onions

Emma JC

True story - 2 days ago for about 5 minutes I thought my 3-yr IP had died... Before I checked the plug in the back and it wasn't in all the way. Almost had a heart attack, LOL

I probably shouldn't admit this. It makes me sound stupid.
But there was one day that I used my IP two days in a row. The inside pot was still in the dish drainer when i poured the rice and water in to make rice. The water came out of the bottom. a lot of the rice stayed inside. I wrote to the company and they told me I could buy a new base but they are out of stock. in the meantime, I could try taking it apart and getting all the rice out. Just five screws and I had it mostly apart.* And I got all the rice out. It works fine now.
Not a heart attack. but I kicked myself in the *** pretty hard.

Tonight I'm making Lentil Stew.

* iPhones are great. I took a couple of pictures of how things fit together before taking it apart. It made the re-assembly much easier and less stressful.

IMG_0367.jpeg

I probably shouldn't admit this. It makes me sound stupid.
But there was one day that I used my IP two days in a row. The inside pot was still in the dish drainer when i poured the rice and water in to make rice. The water came out of the bottom. a lot of the rice stayed inside. I wrote to the company and they told me I could buy a new base but they are out of stock. in the meantime, I could try taking it apart and getting all the rice out. Just five screws and I had it mostly apart.* And I got all the rice out. It works fine now.
Not a heart attack. but I kicked myself in the *** pretty hard.

Tonight I'm making Lentil Stew.

* iPhones are great. I took a couple of pictures of how things fit together before taking it apart. It made the re-assembly much easier and less stressful.

View attachment 917
Aw Man.... That's no bueno! :'(
Wanna hear something even worse? I do this horrible thing where I "pretend like I'm baking" - you know, for the heat in my freezing cold house (furnace is broken - no insulation in most of the rooms - it's an old beach cottage in southern CA). One day I thought I might as well throw a couple potatoes in there since it's on anyway. So, I left 2 potatoes baking in a 265F oven for about 8 hours (it could've actually been warmer than that, I honestly don't remember, but the potatoes were like charcoal briquettes in the end. I had left the house and forgot to turn it off.). I think it's safe to say I didn't burn the house down.

Ooooh yeah, lasagne!

Layer veggies (chargrilled if possible) with lasagne sheets and pasta sauce, pressure cook for same rice and leave to depressurise naturally... yum!

That sounds interesting. Hard to believe it would work. I visualize a mass of messy starch. but I think i would like to try it. I used to make lasagne when I had more patience for cooking.

Aw Man.... That's no bueno! :'(
Wanna hear something even worse? I do this horrible thing where I "pretend like I'm baking" - you know, for the heat in my freezing cold house (furnace is broken - no insulation in most of the rooms - it's an old beach cottage in southern CA). One day I thought I might as well throw a couple potatoes in there since it's on anyway. So, I left 2 potatoes baking in a 265F oven for about 8 hours (it could've actually been warmer than that, I honestly don't remember, but the potatoes were like charcoal briquettes in the end. I had left the house and forgot to turn it off.). I think it's safe to say I didn't burn the house down.

Well, that's not so bad. I didn't want to make this into a stupid contest but a long time ago I put a cardboard container of some kind of instant soup in my microwave and forgot to put water in it. It caught on fire in the microwave. For months everything I microwaved had a bit of a smoky flavor. Hey, don't people pay extra for that.

• Haha
Reactions: TofuRobot
I use my instant pot almost daily. Right now I'm making chili in it. It's the easiest thing ever- with the saute function saute onion, pepper and garlic- then throw the following in- veggie broth, beans (I'm using black, pinto and navy) diced tomato, tomato sauce, chili powder, cocoa powder, oregano, cumin, pepper...whatever you like in your chili. Usually I'll put barley in as well, but didn't have any. Click the "chili" button and then it does it's thing, and even keeps it warm until you're ready to eat it. I'll serve it over baked potatoes and with broccoli.

Other easy instant pot favorites are: wild rice and mushroom soup, butternut squash soup, rice, quinoa, popcorn. I've recently learned how to make seitan in it, and it turns out perfect!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I have a few questions about cooking unsoaked beans in an Instant Pot. Could someone tell me the total start to finish time for cooking beans, say kidney beans or black beans? The total time from filling the pot, to being ready to serve? Would a 6 qt work for cooking a pound of beans at a time? Also, how is the texture of the cooked beans, similar to canned beans? Thank you so much.

I have a few questions about cooking unsoaked beans in an Instant Pot. Could someone tell me the total start to finish time for cooking beans, say kidney beans or black beans? The total time from filling the pot, to being ready to serve? Would a 6 qt work for cooking a pound of beans at a time? Also, how is the texture of the cooked beans, similar to canned beans? Thank you so much.

So curious!

I have read that you can cook unsoaked beans. But I have yet to try it. I'm under the impression that soaking the beans removes something that it is better not to eat. Maybe an "antinutrient". I can't remember. Some of the YouTuber InstantPot cooks don't soak their beans. So maybe I'm remembering that wrong. Let's hope some forum member knows more about this.

the InstantPot handbook recommends 20 to 25 minutes. The 25 minutes would be softer than the 20 minutes. I have been going with 22 minutes. There are a few minutes that the InstantPot requires to come under pressure. I timed it once and then promptly forgot the number. But I would guess its about 10 minutes. After the 20 - 25 minutes is up you need to allow for the pressure to "naturally release". The handbook says 6 - 8 minutes. but I'm sure it takes longer. But I guess after ten minutes you can just go ahead and manually release. So from start to finish - at least 40 minutes.

i have a six quart and always cook a pound at a time. I think I could cook a lot more than that if I wanted to.

If you are really particular about the texture of the beans - start off with the recommendation and then you will just have to experiment. At 22 minutes and a full natural release period, my beans are just a little firmer than canned beans. But I typically freeze my beans and then reheat them in the microwave - the reheated beans are IMHO just about perfect.

I have got some black beans soaking right now and plan on making Cuban Black Beans for dinner. I will take notes and let you know how long the steps take.

Reactions: Bob Who and betiPT
I never soak my black or garbanzo beans before cooking them in the IP. As for time, I literally Google "black beans instant pot" and use the first thing that comes up - usually about 35 minutes I think

The longer the better to replicate the canned beans.

For unsoaked kidney beans I would set it for at least 45-50 minutes, for black beans 40-45 and one pound is fine, just make sure you have lots of water and total time is at least 1 hour 15 to 1 hour 30. I use a 6 quart to do the above.

If you soak them for 8 hours then you can take less time, maybe 10 minutes less each.

Emma JC
ps I typed this ages ago and forgot to Post Reply

Reactions: Bob Who and betiPT