Got curious (is it catching?) and googled it.

Turns out there are several good reasons for soaking beans.
(not in order of importance)
• removes some of the indigestible complex carbs that can cause gas.
• help remove dirt from the beans
• reduces cooking time - more important when cooking on the stove top.

But it turns out that you don't have to. I'm going to try not soaking next time I cook beans.

https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/434/why-should-i-soak-beans-before-cooking
https://www.bonappetit.com/story/soaking-dried-beans-overnight-necessary

Reactions: TofuRobot
I am going the other way, I am going to soak them and cook them for ablonger time than suggested as I despise crunchy beans. I cooked some split pea soup tonight and cooked it on high pressure for 19 minutes and some of them were still crunchy, ugh. It may be all the vegetables that I add that affects it, next time 20 minutes.

Emma JC

Reactions: betiPT
I am going the other way, I am going to soak them and cook them for ablonger time than suggested as I despise crunchy beans. I cooked some split pea soup tonight and cooked it on high pressure for 19 minutes and some of them were still crunchy, ugh. It may be all the vegetables that I add that affects it, next time 20 minutes.

Emma JC
Weird. My split pea soup requires only 5 minutes. And it has lots of vegetables. sometimes I chop the veggies up for a chunky look. but mostly I just cut them up a little and drop them in. afterward, I hit them with my new fancy immersion blender.

http://www.brighde.com/blog/5-minute-split-pea-soup-recipe-vegan-wfpb-instant-pot

wow 5 minutes - hmmm have you tried the peas before you 'immerse' the soup?

Emma JC

wow 5 minutes - hmmm have you tried the peas before you 'immerse' the soup?

Emma JC

Yes. Actually, I prefer the chunky un-blended version. But it's just so much more convenient to make the creamy blended version. And as of now I only have two recipes that require an immersion blender. And it's new and I like to play with it. So its usually blended pea soup for me.

but the peas are just fine both ways.

Also as far as I can remember I have always just waited for it to naturally release.

This was the first recipe I ever made in my Instant Pot and it is maybe my favorite. My sister and I made it together and I was grousing a little about the chopping. I hate chopping onions. So next thing I knew she bought me the immersion blender for Christmas.

I think I will make this tomorrow. Let me know if you want me to try anything different.

Thank you for your responses. I'd always wondered if it would be worth the space it would take up in my overly cluttered kitchen.

Got curious (is it catching?) and googled it.

Turns out there are several good reasons for soaking beans.
(not in order of importance)
• removes some of the indigestible complex carbs that can cause gas.
• help remove dirt from the beans
• reduces cooking time - more important when cooking on the stove top.

But it turns out that you don't have to. I'm going to try not soaking next time I cook beans.

https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/434/why-should-i-soak-beans-before-cooking
https://www.bonappetit.com/story/soaking-dried-beans-overnight-necessary
I suppose I would soak my beans if I had to, but it doesn't cause my any problems so I just don't - mostly because I'm too lazy and impatient. I have also heard, though, that some people who would otherwise be "bean-soakers," don't need to soak them when cooking them in the IP for whatever reason. (I also use this information to legitimize my laziness ;) )

Thank you for your responses. I'd always wondered if it would be worth the space it would take up in my overly cluttered kitchen.
On the issue of space - I have a tiny, galley style kitchen. I consider it a win b/c I was able to get rid of both my rice cooker and my slow cooker, meaning net less clutter. =)

Reactions: Lou

I agonized over buying mine.
A few years back I replaced my gigantic crock pot with a mini version - but it turned out to be too small. Then I noticed that the non-stick lining of my rice cooker was wearing off. So I was able to get my instant pot and give away my old rice cooker and crock pot.
I'm still not sure if I should have gotten the 3 quarts instead of the 6. Several people I know and some people here thought the 3 was too small. The six does not fit in my cupboards and has to sit on the counter. I'm not sure but I suspect the three might have fit in a cupboard.

If you have a slow cooker and a rice cooker and a pressure cooker it would be hard to justify the expense. But if you have all three, (or even just two) you can get some de-cluttering done with just the Instant Pot.

It may not save that much cooking time. But you can literally set it and forget it. So you are free to do other stuff and not just hang out and stir. And you can saute in the instant pot, so it also simplifies the cleanup.

And cooking dry beans is the best. besides the savings in money, they are healthier and tastier. But you can also cook beans in a slow cooker.

Man. I'm no help at all.

So I soaked the beans and then sauteed all the veggies right in the instant pot.
Added the beans and broth and it took 20 minutes for it to come to pressure. The pot was already hot from the sauteeing so maybe from a cold start, it would be 25. And the recipe I'm using suggests 30 minutes of cooking under pressure. AND to let it naturally depressurize. So not including prep time, this is going to take at least 70 minutes.

I haven’t mastered beans in the instant pot to my liking, yet. I recently bought a big bag of black beans so I can experiment.

Has anyone done popcorn in the instant pot? This is one I’m struggling with. I can only get a very small amount to pop. Popcorn is my all-time favorite snack, so I’d really like to figure this out.

Pop corn is awesome... I just got a cheap pop corn maker... easy :) I wouldn’t think pop corn is appropriate for the instant pot, but would love to hear some success stories.

Pop corn is awesome... I just got a cheap pop corn maker... easy :) I wouldn’t think pop corn is appropriate for the instant pot, but would love to hear some success stories.

I did not know that instant pot popcorn was a thing.
I am not a big fan of popcorn. But i do have a "special" bowl for making microwave popcorn without oil. and some "special" seasoning to go salt-free.

I looked up how to make instant pot popcorn. the first hurdle is that it requires the Instant Pot glass top. But a little more reading and one blogger suggested to just look thru your pots and pans drawer and find something glass that will cover your instant pot. And I found one. I guess the glass top is so you can watch the popcorn without uncovering it.

The recipe makes 4x as much popcorn as I usually make, but I suppose it would be OK to just half the recipe. The recipe also calls for coconut oil. And I don't seem to have any. But the same blogger that suggested using a different pot's cover also said that is was OK to use vegetable oil. I think there might be an issue with the high temperature of cooking popcorn and that is why they suggest coconut oil. I may look into that later. But I'm not sure the Instant Pot can make oil-free popcorn - like I can with my "special" bowl. So my enthusiasm for this experiment is already cooling.

anyway here is some good info on Instant Pot Popcorn.
https://copykat.com/2017/12/31/instant-pot-popcorn/

I did not know that instant pot popcorn was a thing.
I am not a big fan of popcorn. But i do have a "special" bowl for making microwave popcorn without oil. and some "special" seasoning to go salt-free.

I looked up how to make instant pot popcorn. the first hurdle is that it requires the Instant Pot glass top. But a little more reading and one blogger suggested to just look thru your pots and pans drawer and find something glass that will cover your instant pot. And I found one. I guess the glass top is so you can watch the popcorn without uncovering it.

The recipe makes 4x as much popcorn as I usually make, but I suppose it would be OK to just half the recipe. The recipe also calls for coconut oil. And I don't seem to have any. But the same blogger that suggested using a different pot's cover also said that is was OK to use vegetable oil. I think there might be an issue with the high temperature of cooking popcorn and that is why they suggest coconut oil. I may look into that later. But I'm not sure the Instant Pot can make oil-free popcorn - like I can with my "special" bowl. So my enthusiasm for this experiment is already cooling.

anyway here is some good info on Instant Pot Popcorn.
https://copykat.com/2017/12/31/instant-pot-popcorn/
Now I’m going to have to try it :)

I've followed all those instant pot instructions and videos that I found online, but still have only had limited success. I can use the same kernels on the stove top, or in my silicone microwave popper and it works great, so it's not like I have an old batch of kernels.
Maybe it's for the best, because the popcorn I make in the silicone bowl uses less oil or no oil, so I should probably just stick with that, anyway.

Reactions: betiPT and Lou
Good to know, @Lou :D ...Though I'm actually surprised anyone thought it did, tbh

The question never occurred to me. But in retrospect, it seems like a legitimate question.

OH. BTW. For those of you on the fence. Amazon has a sale on InstantPots right now. Even less money than my Black Friday deal.
And there is a new one - The Duo Plus. Really a good one to get if you are into making eggs or cakes. It sterilizes, too. which is good if you want to grow mushrooms, feed babies, or do a little home surgery.

Does the Instant Pot destroy nutrients?
If you don't want to read the whole article, I can save you some time.
And the answer is no.

That is important to know. And raw foodists want others to believe as they came to believe, that any food cooked has its nutrients ruined. That does not have basis, showing raw food is healthier, like whole food that is plant-based does. They are not fully compatible ways. I will go with what has fully convincing studies, if any studies ever are, behind it.