January Health Challenge (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeryFairy

Anachronism
Reaction score
Happy 2016! It's a new year, and I'm guessing at least a few people have new years' resolutions which are health related. As always, post your health goals here and keep us updated on your progress, so we can all support each other.

Also, a reminder that health goals can be anything health-related, whether that's weight gain, building muscle, improving stamina, rehabilitation after accidents, kicking bad habits, eating right for you, taking care of your mental health... anything which contributes to a happier, healthier you! It absolutely does not have to be all about weight loss if that's not your goal.

Last month's thread is here.

As for my goals this month:

ROLLER DERBY!

At my last session before Christmas, I hit 16 and 3/4 laps in 5 minutes. At my first session back (which will be in a week and a bit), I'd love to at least maintain this, and then push it further in subsequent weeks if I can. I'd love to make the team and pass my minimum skills test this year, and getting up to 27 laps in 5 minutes is a big part of that.

Still working on weight gain. :down: I've gained about 1 lb in the past 2-ish months working with a registered dietitian on a steadily increasing meal plan, though to be honest, I could be better with following it.
I've increased to about 1,500-17,00 kcal/day when I had been down to ~1,100 at the height of my restriction this Summer.
I've been averaging about 3 pints of vegan ice cream a week. :D It's still tough, though.

Happy New Year, everyone!
I finally got new batteries for my scale, and I'm up 5 pounds, which I figured because the pants were getting tighter again. :D I'm sure most of it is holiday related, but this is really the first time in a couple of years I've put on anything. So, I will work on making better food choices (OK, I'm having cupcakes today, but I want them, so I'm going to eat them, hah! :D), i.e. fewer refined carbs and sugar. Also, my exercise of late has taken a hit because I'm still working on healing a sprained ankle. It's much better and isn't swelling much anymore. The pain is just about gone. So this means I can resume my workouts, which makes me happy.

-- Cardio five times a week; stretching/toning/weights 2 to 3 times a week. The weights will be very light as I'm still dealing with a shoulder issue, but it's much, much better, so it's just a matter of time before I can really get back into the weights. I definitely can do leg work, though, which I enjoy.

-- Maintain my water intake of at least 48 ounces a day. I have been doing really well with that of late.

-- Get enough sleep. My new mattress and box spring is already helping with this. I haven't been waking up in the night at all since I got it, and I notice my bedding isn't all over the place when I wake up, which means I'm not tossing and turning as much. I'm aiming for 7 hours a night. If I can get 8, that will be great, but I can live with 7. This means really being diligent and consistent about getting to bed before midnight.

Happy New Year, everyone!
I finally got new batteries for my scale, and I'm up 5 pounds, which I figured because the pants were getting tighter again. :D I'm sure most of it is holiday related, but this is really the first time in a couple of years I've put on anything. So, I will work on making better food choices (OK, I'm having cupcakes today, but I want them, so I'm going to eat them, hah! :D), i.e. fewer refined carbs and sugar. Also, my exercise of late has taken a hit because I'm still working on healing a sprained ankle. It's much better and isn't swelling much anymore. The pain is just about gone. So this means I can resume my workouts, which makes me happy.

-- Cardio five times a week; stretching/toning/weights 2 to 3 times a week. The weights will be very light as I'm still dealing with a shoulder issue, but it's much, much better, so it's just a matter of time before I can really get back into the weights. I definitely can do leg work, though, which I enjoy.

-- Maintain my water intake of at least 48 ounces a day. I have been doing really well with that of late.

-- Get enough sleep. My new mattress and box spring is already helping with this. I haven't been waking up in the night at all since I got it, and I notice my bedding isn't all over the place when I wake up, which means I'm not tossing and turning as much. I'm aiming for 7 hours a night. If I can get 8, that will be great, but I can live with 7. This means really being diligent and consistent about getting to bed before midnight.

I find that you are very disciplined when it comes to exercise and diet. Well done.:up:

I find that you are very disciplined when it comes to exercise and diet. Well done.:up:
Thank you, shyvas, I try. :) It has taken me most of my life to figure out what works for me, lol, but better late than never!

Reactions: ledboots
I started off the morning with a Leslie Sansone 3-mile power walking video. And my ankle held up pretty well and feels OK at the moment. I didn't do my usual jumping around; I kept it low impact, but I still managed to sweat. This makes me happy!

Reactions: KLS52 and AeryFairy
Afternoon, everyone! I hope everyone has had a good week. I have exercised every day since Monday, though on a less-strenuous-than-usual clip, but the consistency is what counts. :) Also, I dropped 2 of the 5 pounds I want to get rid of. I didn't do so great in the sleep department, as I had two nights in which I got only 5 hours of sleep, but I'm working on it. :)
I hope to get in a nice walk tomorrow because Sunday the weather is supposed to be wretched. Lots of rain in the forecast.

I just want to eat a little bit better than I have been really....& try to get my 10,000 steps a day. Thanks fitbit for the new steps obsession,lol.

Today so far:
uploadfromtaptalk1452276119170.png

oh, cool! do you find it a challenge to get the steps? it's a lot harder than i thought, especially on days off...

On days when I'm working a lot (sat in an office), yes. But then there are some days when it buzzes and I'm like "already?!", because I've just been moving around all morning or something.

I want one too! Maybe for my birthday! :D

Reactions: PTree15
I also want one. I went into a sports shop in California but I was put off by the complexity of programming the thing.:(

I also want one. I went into a sports shop in California but I was put off by the complexity of programming the thing.:(

Which model were you looking at? The fitbit Flex (which I have) couldn't have been easier - just download the app, put the fitbit on your preferred wrist, type in your details (height, weight, etc.), and let it set up automatically over bluetooth.

Which model were you looking at? The fitbit Flex (which I have) couldn't have been easier - just download the app, put the fitbit on your preferred wrist, type in your details (height, weight, etc.), and let it set up automatically over bluetooth.

Where do you download it onto ? I have no clue what bluetooth is and I don't have it on my phone.

Where do you download it onto ? I have no clue what bluetooth is and I don't have it on my phone.

I have my app on my iPhone and iPad. But you can also just run fitbit through a computer - it comes with a device you can plug into the USB port of any computer.

Can I ask what kind of phone you have that doesn't have bluetooth? I believe the last phone I had without it, I bought in 2003...

I have my app on my iPhone and iPad. But you can also just run fitbit through a computer - it comes with a device you can plug into the USB port of any computer.

Can I ask what kind of phone you have that doesn't have bluetooth? I believe the last phone I had without it, I bought in 2003...

An Alcatel One Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.