January Health Challenge (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scorpius, you rock! So glad to hear you are doing better!!
All this fitbit talk has me wanting to go out and get one today, lol, but I will try to wait until it's a little closer to my birthday so that I can justify spending the money, hehehe. :D

I've had a really good workout week (four days so far of cardio and two of toning) and halfway decent sleep (6 to 7 hours). Water intake has been up to par as well. I'm still working on the carbs, haha, but I've done well with limiting sweets a bit. I really do feel better when I consume less refined sugar.

I plan on doing a Leslie Sansone video tomorrow just to mix things up a bit, along with some toning work.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. :)

I got a Fitbit for Xmas. I think it's great, but it's way too easy to accumulate 5,000 or more steps per day. The default setting was counting 14 steps for every 11 I took, so I manually adjusted the stride..but it still seems too easy***. I get $25 credited toward my medical costs (via medical insurance plan at work) for every 100K steps, which I'm able to reach 3x per month.

*** I went for a 2.5 mile run this morning, but otherwise have been at my desk all day, except to get up for lunch and occasion bathroom breaks, and I'm already at 9,932 steps.

I got a Fitbit for Xmas. I think it's great, but it's way too easy to accumulate 5,000 or more steps per day. The default setting was counting 14 steps for every 11 I took, so I manually adjusted the stride..but it still seems too easy***. I get $25 credited toward my medical costs (via medical insurance plan at work) for every 100K steps, which I'm able to reach 3x per month.

*** I went for a 2.5 mile run this morning, but otherwise have been at my desk all day, except to get up for lunch and occasion bathroom breaks, and I'm already at 9,932 steps.
I have been reading up on how to calibrate your stride so that it paints as accurate a picture as possible. Another drawback is that it won't count my steps on the treadmill because I hang on to the hand bars for stability (I'm a total klutz most of the time, so I don't want to risk falling) because it measures arm movements related to walking. There is a way to manually add the steps in the app, but I don't think I could be bothered. I think it's a good motivational tool for perhaps parking farther away from a store entrance, taking the stairs rather than the elevator, maybe taking a little walk around the neighborhood even if I've already worked out. I tend to get kind of lazy post-work when I get home, and making these little changes might help with that. Plus, it's just fun to track these sorts of things. :D

17 LAPS!! Personal best :D Also, they moved me up to the intermediate group - no longer a beginner! Generally very excited.

Here's a photo of yesterday's newbie night. I'm in there somewhere:

12594011_10153586280344681_2538971893414535629_o.jpg

Way to go, AF! That is so cool!

I've had a very good stretch of exercising, though I took yesterday off. Today I did a 45-minute treadmill session, and I'm increasing the incline a bit more each week. Also, my friend I work out with decided to do the treadmill as well, and we chatted away, which made the time fly by. I might do a video tomorrow. I'm in the mood for a Leslie Sansone power walk. :)

Oh, and I finally got 8 hours of sleep (last night). Now, if I could just get that amount every night, I'd be golden, lol.

This past week was sort of a lost week for exercise. I started out well, but then between work (lots of extra hours, ugh!) and trying to get my place in order (2016 goals), I just sort of lost steam. I got in only two days of cardio and one of toning. I hope to take a nice walk in the snow tomorrow, though, before I go into work. I've done well with sleeping, water intake and watching the white carbs, so it wasn't a totally lost week. (And I lost a pound, yay. Only two more to go to get back to my desired weight.)

So January was mostly positive, goals-wise: I lost 3 pounds, have limited the white carbs fairly well, have consistently consumed adequate water daily, and have exercised regularly, save for a lost week when work was just nuts. I'm still working on the sleep. Some nights I did very well, getting 7 to 8 hours, but others, like last night, were not so successful. On to February!

Status
Not open for further replies.