January Health Challenge (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it D3 or D2? When I first tested low I was taking D2 (in the Deva cal/mag/D) and spending time outside in summer. I was at 12 in early Sept. From then on I've stuck with D3-and high doses. I took (I think )40000 a week for 2 months, then 2500 every day, a year later I was only at 30. My insurance won't pay for annual checks since 30 is still within normal. I'm afraid to try vegan D3!

Do you like stevia? I hate it, so I'm really glad I don't add sweeteners to any drinks!

D3. I am going to get another blood test in the summer just to check it isn't a problem with absorption.

What does stevia have to do with vitamin D? I don't take any artificial sweeteners as they are a migraine trigger for me.

D3. I am going to get another blood test in the summer just to check it isn't a problem with absorption.

What does stevia have to do with vitamin D? I don't take any artificial sweeteners as they are a migraine trigger for me.
Stevia has nothing to do with D- you were just saying you'd given up sugar with tea and I was wondering if you'd like stevia. Stevia is just a plant that tastes really sweet and most people like it, I must have that tasting aberration because it tastes pretty awful to me.

I have no idea why I don't absorb d and pretty pssed my insurance won't pay for a recheck. Doctor just tells me to take 5000 a day now! that's way too high for most people.

One of these days I might get the dna test that shows sensitivities, nutritional requirements- stuff like that. It's about $200

Stevia has nothing to do with D- you were just saying you'd given up sugar with tea and I was wondering if you'd like stevia. Stevia is just a plant that tastes really sweet and most people like it, I must have that tasting aberration because it tastes pretty awful to me.

I have no idea why I don't absorb d and pretty pssed my insurance won't pay for a recheck. Doctor just tells me to take 5000 a day now! that's way too high for most people.

One of these days I might get the dna test that shows sensitivities, nutritional requirements- stuff like that. It's about $200

Oh okay, thanks. I wondered what stevia had to do with vitamin D, lol.

Yes, it's a pain having to take such a high dose. I have to take 20,000 every other week for a while. I was thinking that maybe I have been deficient for years and was only just checked last year so maybe it takes a while to build back up? I will have to ask my GP about that.

I might get the 3000 vit D spray after this as I thought maybe it is more easily absorbed.

I'm being much better at going to the gym than I am at a few of my other resolutions. :p Here's to a more disciplined week!

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Okay, got to get the whining out of my system...

Ugh, last week started out great, then the ankle hurt, and I pulled a muscle in my back :rolleyes: The week was a bust after that, then I got back to it Sunday, and today the ankle was giving me grief again. Frustrating! Unless I have my run, it feels like my appetite is unreasonable. The calorie burn from my runs are great, but the running also curbs my appetite at the same time. Days when I don't run, feel like a spiral out of control. It feels like I can't simply "diet" if it's not paired with a good workout :fp: If my body would just cooperate I could be exactly where I want to be and it wouldn't take but maybe two or three months.

@ J...I feel your pain.

Day 7 of WW an it’s harder than the first time I did it because of the new plan. I think I will get the hang of it. They’re so called zero points Foods for vegans isn’t going to work for me. Supposedly, beans, beets, tofu are now free where they used to be around 4 points so I don’t know where they think someone like me, who will eat a cup of chickpeas for a snack, and probably three times a day, lol, is going to lose weight. But I’m down a whole pound. Slow and steady so they say. I do feel great though without all the junk food. So if nothing else I’m eating very healthy.

Last week was a lost week, with recovering from the cold and a stomach bug, so this week I hope will go better. I did OK with food, though I did have too much of that dang peanut butter fudge I made. I took it to New Hampshire on a visit to my nephew and I left it there. :D Back on track with the no-sugar brigade.

Managed to run for 50 minutes today including warm up and cool down. The results were not good; now I'm a limping mess! So I guess now I make plans to start doing something different if my knees/shins/ankles can't handle running anymore. From what research I've done I've got a few options... I can walk on the treadmill and set a steep incline and possibly do it with weights as well as the steep incline to take it a step further, or I can trade in the treadmill for a bike or elliptical.

I'm a comfort eater. I've gained allmoust all weight back again, after Vida died. As I do comfort eat. I have an appointment today at the hospital, and I was so eager to be in a normal weight for my next appointment, but then all this **** happened. But at the age of 40, I can finally admit I'm a comfort eater. That's a start.

So I need to get started again. So I get back to a normal weight again. I'm just fat again now, and not happy at all. Back to counting calories, as that is the most effective for me obvious.

I've been a bit sad latest weeks, so I need to take care of my mental health too. It doesn't make me eat less junk food with a bad mental health. It's been just a bit too much for me, and then I go after food when it happens.

I'm a comfort eater. I've gained allmoust all weight back again, after Vida died. As I do comfort eat. I have an appointment today at the hospital, and I was so eager to be in a normal weight for my next appointment, but then all this **** happened. But at the age of 40, I can finally admit I'm a comfort eater. That's a start.

So I need to get started again. So I get back to a normal weight again. I'm just fat again now, and not happy at all. Back to counting calories, as that is the most effective for me obvious.

I've been a bit sad latest weeks, so I need to take care of my mental health too. It doesn't make me eat less junk food with a bad mental health. It's been just a bit too much for me, and then I go after food when it happens.

:hug:

Managed to run for 50 minutes today including warm up and cool down. The results were not good; now I'm a limping mess! So I guess now I make plans to start doing something different if my knees/shins/ankles can't handle running anymore. From what research I've done I've got a few options... I can walk on the treadmill and set a steep incline and possibly do it with weights as well as the steep incline to take it a step further, or I can trade in the treadmill for a bike or elliptical.
My coworker is a runner and when she does the treadmill for walking she uses weights and the incline. It works really well for her.

Reactions: PTree15

I tend to eat for comfort as well. And I would think, with your health related food issues, it makes it even more difficult to eat right during times of stress/sadness. :hug:

We could start Anonymous Comfort Eaters (ACE, it even suits for those with OCD!).

Trip to the hospital today. I wasn't cleared for trying new foods. And my soy isn't 100% cleared either. They need to count cells in my biopsies first. Then they are thinking of swallowing steroids if the cell count isn't low enough, to keep me having soy because of proteins.

I'm going back there in May/June (so may be a bit later). I SHALL be at normal BMI when I go back. They want a food diary, so I'm planning to take with me 2 weeks then (one work week, and one week off). And I need to show them I can get quite nice amount of proteins on a vegan diet too.

After a weekend of my mother's birthday Friday, a dining experience (6 course meal: tiny courses, nearly all veggies but 1/2 bottle of wine :rolleyes:) for Vegan Week Saturday, and a vegan potluck Sunday (where I was asked to bring Mac & Cheese:rolleyes:), and then tonight a friend who wants to join me for dinner (and a walk!) - I really feel that I need to get my priorities straightened out! I need better mental fortitude for dietary challenges! I was down a pound before the weekend, but feel for certain I lost ground.

This morning, I'm heading off to a body pump class. The hopefully some yard work and a walk with my friend this evening.

Have a good week everyone!

It's raining out right now, but I still want to take a walk. I haven't really done a whole of lot exercise-wise in the last week, and I am craving a good walk.

Last edited:
I saw my GP and my vitamin D wasn't even that low when I got the exact number, it's 48 and it was only 10 last time.

I ate quite a bit of junk food and had beer this weekend, but I did do quite a bit of walking too. It was horrible weather as well, snow/sleet/rain.

Week of not really being able to do much in the way of exercise, played it fast and loose with the calories... Drank beer all week (even had a sour beer for breakfast one morning lol) and ate from the food truck at the local brewery two days... Bottle shares not one but two nights in a row with beer, mead, and imported cherry wine... Managed to only gain 0.6lbs! AMAZING! Okay, this week is going to be better, it just IS! :rofl:

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
13 days counting points and I’m down 3.9 pounds. It’s slow going but I know that’s how it has to be. This time I don’t have as much to lose since I had kept most of the weight off from last time.

Shock of all shockers, I have been drinking coffee with, get this...NO SUGAR!!!! Lol Well, I use sugar in my first morning cup but then if I want any more coffee throughout the day, it’s no sugar. I’m not sure I’ll ever get used to drinking it that way, exclusively, but at least I’m not hating it.

Reactions: PTree15
I finally got back to the gym. I did 35 minutes on the treadmill. I would have gotten in my usual 45 minutes, but traffic was awful this morning. It's always crazy when it rains, plus it was really foggy. It felt soooo good to work out!

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
I did weights today, lots of arm/chest work and legs (lunges, squats). It feels good to be back in the exercise groove.

Reactions: KLS52
Status
Not open for further replies.