March Health Challenge (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm....maybe that's why they've been bothering me? I don't know for sure, but I suspect low stomach acid, since when I eat too much raw foods they seem to sit high in my stomach like I ate mulch, and that feeling doesn't go away for a long time! Not salads, I can eat lots of greens and whatever else I add, but like eating veggie sticks with hummus - big problem! Like I beg for gas or burps and nothing comes out!
Speaking of salads, I need to make one for tomorrows lunch, and make a tahini dressing. I got a discounted bag of broccoli slaw, beets to cook, carrots and peppers. Wish I had celery, but only get that at a certain store
It's unlikely that raw veggies themselves can cause such a problem. It's probably caused by mixing 2 different types of digestion: autolysis (via self-destruction of "victim's" cells by enzymes releasing out of lysosomes in victim's cells) and digestion with your own acid. Human beings are originally designed for 4 types of digestion, but the most natural one - is eating raw plant foods. It almost doesn't require any efforts from your stomach. That's why, for instance, i can devour tons of raw salad and digest it in 20 minutes, but a tiny amount of cooked food (even if it's vegan) can "lie on my stomach's bottom like a stone", and i'll have to swallow Pancreatine.
You could look up the info about food combining on a vegan/raw vegan diet (there is plenty of information on this subject). But honestly, for me it works the easiest way: if the food is completely raw,- then i can mix up everything, even veggies and fruits (in sane quantities, of course). It's more important that if you eat a mostly raw dish - the amount of a cooked (2nd) meal has to be very small. Nowadays, many vegan doctors admit that the most adequate nutrition plan is a so-called "10-80-10" diet, where 80% - are raw veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds, 10% - are cooked legumes, and another 10% - are cooked grains.
I'm not telling you that you should become a raw foodist, but at least you can minimize the damage to your digestive tract by wise food combining, and, if possible, by minimizing the controversy of raw and cooked foods. The more initial issues you have (such as gastritis, ulcer, any inflammatory processes, etc.),- the more it's appliable to you.
This is the 2nd thing i had been told long ago by my acquaintances (not to eat cooked meals at all:eek:), but a human being is weak, and until he has significant health issues, he won't listen to such "radical" theories. I didn't believe it either, and i still can't go raw. OTOH, it's not necessary!:woo: Just minimizing cooked veggies and products which decrease your acidity will be enough for the first time, until you figure out what is the best for you, and what to do next. You have to be prepared that your microbiome will change,- therefore, your acidity and metabolism may change too.
I don't think that those who told me all this stuff, lied to me or tried to mislead me: they have no purpose, and their job is genetic engineering,- (technically, they aren't doctors in the meaning which we're used to). I suspect, it's a matter of common sence - to trust scientists with an unbiased approach (who actually don't have a personal interest in what you're doing), than to trust our local doctors, who are so confused and illiterate, that they can kill you in order not to "mess up". It's always better to ask (for the truth) someone who is not interested in managing your bahavior patterns. I quit searching for the truth in affordable sources, as they are all the same, eventually. Moreover, even if you follow a wf pb diet (which is no doubt the best),- its parameters may vary depending on the factors you've been influenced by during your life. Your future meal plan strategy is a long and complex chain of factors, individual features and consequences that you already have been through.
...Sorry for the higgledy-piggledy response,- i hope you understand (approximately) what i'm trying to say.
As we say: "Dovjeryai, no provjeryai" ("trust, but check it out").:D

Last edited:
I forgot I had Cafe Indigo cake in my freezer and it was “challenging” me so I accepted and had a small piece of the carrot cake. :lick: :lol:

Reactions: Val
I do like to use silken tofu in chocolate shakes, but I rarely go to the trouble.

I don't know why but the idea of using tofu in a smoothie creeps me out.:yuck::D

Nowadays, many vegan doctors admit that the most adequate nutrition plan is a so-called "10-80-10" diet, where 80% - are raw veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds, 10% - are cooked legumes, and another 10% - are cooked grains.

I felt a lot better when I was eating about 50% raw, but I find it too hard to stick to. 80% would be impossible for me.

I knew a vegan woman who went 80% raw and she looked so much healthier afterwards. She didn't lose weight, she actually gained some weight, but her skin was glowing.

I knew a vegan woman who went 80% raw and she looked so much healthier afterwards. She didn't lose weight, she actually gained some weight, but her skin was glowing.
I'd like to get rid of my fat actually, but i'm not keen on diets. Perhaps a slow snail like me needs to go 100% raw to lose any weight at all.:p

I'd like to get rid of my fat actually, but i'm not keen on diets. Perhaps a slow snail like me needs to go 100% raw to lose any weight at all.:p

She was already very slim so she didn't need to lose any weight. I just saw how healthy she looked on that diet.:)

I think I will make myself a green smoothie now thinking it and a big salad later on tonight!

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I've lost about 2 pounds, according to my morning weigh-ins, but I don't know if that's healthy weight loss. I've been eating normally for the past few weeks, except for the past 2-3 days. My appetite is really low right now. Thankfully, I am eating with people tonight (pizza) and again on Friday, so that'll force me to eat normally.

I'm actually looking forward to having my parents back home from their trip. Being alone is difficult for me right now.

Last night I ate a proper dinner along with dessert. Today I ate leftover pizza for a late lunch. Not sure what I'll have for dinner... maybe heat up some perogies.

I did my first bike ride of the season tonight: 6.59 km. Usually that's nothing to me, but I'm so out of practice that it put me out of breath!! Also did a 90-minute yoga class.

I walked outside yesterday and today. A combined 6 miles. I did 4 yesterday and 2 today. I've had decent food days this week, too. I don't feel as puffy and bloated as I did before.

I caved in to food! Wfpb feels so good, but so hard to stick with :oops:.
I have determined that I will start walking the main road, one mile to a fresh produce market in one direction, or, a mile and half to the new vegan restaurant! When the weather settles down, can't stand walking in wind.
Would have been lovely today if not for wind :mad:

I got on the scale this morning. The first time I got on that evil thing after the weight gain a few weeks ago was shocking so I have been avoiding it because I know I have not done very well controlling my eating. I have been consistent with the walking, weights, and squats though and getting more steps in every day. So I took a deep breath, took off all my clothes, and stepped on. I have lost 2 pounds! Not much but an encouraging start! Hopefully I can start that downward trend every week.

Reactions: KLS52 and Katrina
It's another nice day today, so I will walk outside! I'm so happy the bulk of winter is behind me! I am going to finish my book that I've had for two months (yikes!) and then walk to the library. It will be a 3.2-mile trip, or 3.3 if I go the "long" way. :D I might add to the walk a bit as well to get it to 4 miles.

Reactions: KLS52 and Val
I really really need to get serious again before I gain the 10 pounds back- like I did before :sadnod:
I do complete and total wfpb, then I give in just a bit-and I'm craving everything!
I am quite surprised that I still avoid sugars. It's always processed carbs, fats and salt I crave

I really really need to get serious again before I gain the 10 pounds back- like I did before :sadnod:
I do complete and total wfpb, then I give in just a bit-and I'm craving everything!
I am quite surprised that I still avoid sugars. It's always processed carbs, fats and salt I crave
I can sympathize. I’ve been the same way, lately. I was barely able to eat the whole six weeks Ben was sick. He’s not back to normal yet but doing a little better so I’m less stressed and craving junk food. :( I’m good all day and then I tend to blow it when I get home from work.

I walked 4 miles...in the rain! Not a heavy rain, but I needed to return my library book and get the second book in the series. Then I added a stop to the store, so the total was 4 miles. Happy, happy.

Reactions: KLS52 and Val
I walked 4 miles...in the rain! Not a heavy rain, but I needed to return my library book and get the second book in the series. Then I added a stop to the store, so the total was 4 miles. Happy, happy.
Which brings me to the question, “what does your hair look like now?” :p

I could never walk four miles in the rain and not look like this...
E8F4AF05-1656-4B3E-A458-04322B1B406C.jpeg

Geez!:eek: I feel so ashamed... My last "hike" was 3.6 miles.:fp: OTOH, i didn't use buses, and i was dragging a heavy sack of groceries, which was getting bigger and bigger as i was walking by different grocery stores.:p But i wasn't in a hurry, and my legs hurt like a hell, so that distance was pretty enough for me then. I wanted to sit on a bench and stare at the beautiful spring sun for a couple minutes, but the wind was so icy, that i felt a pain in the back (where kidneys are) if i was taking a seat anywhere. So, i had to walk and walk and walk.:D My today's "hike" was even shorter.:sigh: But i feel that now, when the ice has almost melted, i'll be able to take longer walks.:woo:

Status
Not open for further replies.