Animal Rights Monkey World

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
(Sorry if it's posted in the wrong place).

Has anyone been to Monkey World in Dorset? Since I would like to avoid any animal places that are not rescue etc I am hoping people will say Monkey World is worth the 6 hour round trip for me xxx

I've been, but not since I was a child. I don't remember much about it, sorry! Can't find much about how ethical it is online, either.

They seem pretty good tbh. Only rescue. Their females are kept on birth control so they don't breed and take up spaces in the centre with babies when there may be primates needing rescuing. Though that was good xxx

A big thing for me personally is if wildlife places are for profit or not. Looking at their website, although they aren't a charity, it doesn't seem like they are a for profit organisation.

They seem pretty good tbh. Only rescue. Their females are kept on birth control so they don't breed and take up spaces in the centre with babies when there may be primates needing rescuing. Though that was good xxx

Are you sure this is true? I'm fairly sure I remember seeing them breeding animals on the TV program about monkey world.

I looked online and they say
Where healthy adult male and female primates are kept together there is always a good chance that they will breed! For some species (such as the woolly monkeys, the orangutans, and the golden-cheeked gibbons) every effort is made to ensure that breeding will occur, but for others it is essential that we prevent breeding or at least control which individuals can breed and how often.

I'm not sure why some are allowed to breed? Perhaps because they are endangered.

As for whether it is for profit, Monkey World isn't a charity but I think it is non-profit, but not sure.

I had a look, (I think) they only breed animals that are part of the European breeding programme, which I think aims to build up a captive population of genetically diverse, healthy, endangered animals.

I think it's kind of like a back-up plan.

ETA: Just so that it doesn't seem like I'm against MW, I'm not, they seem like a brilliant organisation. I don't know how I feel about the captive breeding program, but no organisation does thing 100% how I'd want them to, this place comes pretty close. I've never heard of any other (non domestic) sanctuaries preventing animals from breeding to allow them to take in as many animals as possible - most love to breed the animals to create more to make profit from.

Any place that is not-for-profit and takes in animals that need lots of care and rehabilitation due to abuse is a great place, and a much better alternative than zoos/wild life parks with a couple of breeding programs/rescue animals and lots of animals bred in captivity just for the sake of showing them off to make money.