Animal Rights Non veg AR activists

thefadedone

Needs a life
Reaction score
I don't quite understand this, but always wondered about. I've seen several AR activists that are not only not vegan, but not even vegetarian as well. It seems so hypocritical to me. Is this really common? How do they justify attending a protest and then heading to McDonald's for a cheeseburger?

It's something I wonder about too, not so much in terms of hardcore AR activists (I have a couple of theories about hardcore AR activists who aren't veg*n) , but in terms of people who are very passionate about animal welfare, so much so that they spend a large amount of their time and resources doing rescue. I think for them, at least, it comes down to a weird inner bifurcation, the same one I had for my life before going veg, a bifurcation which is the norm in our society.

OTOH, for me it is equally difficult to understand how so many veg*ns can fail to take proper care of their companion animals, or walk away from someone being cruel to an animal without doing anything about it other than complaining about how much the sight hurt their own personal sensitivities. Actually, that's harder for me to understand, because by becoming veg they have (one would assume) already gotten beyond that bifurcation.

As for hardcore AR activists who aren't veg*n - I think there are certain individuals who are drawn to the mythos surrounding *revolution* (for want of a better word) because it fulfills a need in themselves. They don't necessarily believe in or care about the principles which are being fought for - they get their kicks from the fight itself. I think you find those kinds of individuals in any movement - revolutions to empower *the people* where some of the revolutionaries couldn't care less about the good of *the people*.

Reactions: Werewolf Girl
Yes, I was going to say that maybe they are more for the welfare of the animals and don't see anything wrong with eating them but don't like how they are cruelly confined/any kind of factory farming. They're concerned about animal welfare more than/instead of animal rights.

It is a bit confusing. I recall reading about a fundraiser dinner given by the SPCA in our area featuring a "burger night". I suppose, as mlp says,some folks just aren't "quite there" yet as far as making the connection.For example, a friend posted an article about animal mothers and went on about how "amazing all of God' creatures are".The following day,she posted a"steak night with my hubby"story.

Yes, I was going to say that maybe they are more for the welfare of the animals and don't see anything wrong with eating them but don't like how they are cruelly confined/any kind of factory farming. They're concerned about animal welfare more than/instead of animal rights.

Yes, I would say the same. Most people think you need meat and dairy to have a balanced diet but I do think a lot of people would prefer that the animals had reasonable conditions before they are killed.

Compartmentalisation too. I have met and spoken to many people from animal rescue places and they do an amazing job to rescue companion animals but none were vegetarian or vegan. When I used to eat meat I remember sitting and eating dinner whilst watching nature programmes and I got upset or disgusted when I saw a lion kill an antelope on screen. It seems hypocritical now but I didn't question it at the time.

I have a friend whose Facebook wall is full of links about animal cruelty in the meat industry. She posts up new videos every day, telling people to think about where their food comes from and urging them to make ethical choices. She eats meat. I find it... Odd. On the other hand, at least she's getting the word out there, and hopefully in time she'll come to listen to her own advice.

Reactions: sallyomally

Then they should consider not eating at McDonald's, since that was the specific example used.

I find it extremely hypocritical. I also don't understand those who devote their life to "pet" animals, and are so careless towards "farm" animals. Meat fundraiser for the animal shelter, anyone?

I have a friend whose Facebook wall is full of links about animal cruelty in the meat industry. She posts up new videos every day, telling people to think about where their food comes from and urging them to make ethical choices. She eats meat. I find it... Odd. On the other hand, at least she's getting the word out there, and hopefully in time she'll come to listen to her own advice.
Wow, that's just weird. Maybe she is a "happy meat" advocate? I have a friend like that. She won't buy cosmetics tested on animals and she uses non-animal cleaning materials, but she happily devours her grass-fed "happy meat" and "happy eggs." Also, I have a FB friend who posts all kinds of "please rescue these kitties on death row" but is not a vegetarian. I guess they consider cats and dogs and test animals to be of more importance than animals used for food. I suppose I was like that at one time, too.