Our accents

apples and pears=stairs
:cow::rolleyes::shrug:
I think there are websites that have more....

Last edited:
I have no sense of accents or geography. :oops:

I got Newark, Paterson (NJ) and Yonkers (NY). My pre-conceived impression of how people talk in these areas (I have only known people from Yonkers, no one from New Jersey) makes me think this test is whacked, lol. It might be because most of my friends are from the Bronx and they definitely have their own language/accent. I do not speak like them. The only similarity might be some words/terms I use for things. The pronounciation of certain words is entirely different and I guess that's what I think of when you talk about an accent. My Bronx friends add an "er" after words that end in "a"...like soda sounds like soder.

I actually grew up calling a sandwich made on long bread a wedge. That word wasn't even an option on the test.

This is fun. I love accents. Adds so much character to life. :)

apples and pears=stairs

That's always the first one I think of too.:D

For the quiz I got New York, Yonkers and Providence as the most similar.

I listened to what these accents sound like on YouTube and so I did the test again and got New York again, Yonkers again and now Jersey City. Apparently I must sound like the people from Jersey Shore and The Real Housewives of New Jersey. Okay.:eek::p

I have no sense of accents or geography. :oops:

I got Newark, Paterson (NJ) and Yonkers (NY). My pre-conceived impression of how people talk in these areas (I have only known people from Yonkers, no one from New Jersey) makes me think this test is whacked, lol. It might be because most of my friends are from the Bronx and they definitely have their own language/accent. I do not speak like them. The only similarity might be some words/terms I use for things. The pronounciation of certain words is entirely different and I guess that's what I think of when you talk about an accent. My Bronx friends add an "er" after words that end in "a"...like soda sounds like soder.

I actually grew up calling a sandwich made on long bread a wedge. That word wasn't even an option on the test.

This is fun. I love accents. Adds so much character to life. :)

I got the same thing! Born and raised in Connecticut, short time in Georgia, Florida since the 90s. And I don't have a NY or NJ accent. And I say "wedge" also. :)

Reactions: KLS52
I used the map too, SB. It says I speak like someone from the northeast. Interesting. I definitely have a slight Virginia drawl, but I tend not to use words like "ya'll" or "ain't". Since I'm a Navy brat, and have lived up and down both coasts, but have Appalachian relatives, I think my dialect must be pretty messed up.

In my mind, you guys all sound like me, which is insane because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here that is French Canadian, let alone Acadian.

Yes, I remember a VVer posting a video of herself once and it was weird to hear her voice because I never thought of her having an accent. She had a lovely voice and accent though.

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
not sure how to record my voice tbh. sounds odd on tape anyway.

Yes, I remember a VVer posting a video of herself once and it was weird to hear her voice because I never thought of her having an accent. She had a lovely voice and accent though.
Was it Isowish? Do you remember? I seem to recall her doing that but I could be mistaken. She was awesome.

What are examples of Cockney rhyming slang?

There is a 1999 film called The Limey starring Terence Stamp, where Stamp's character uses a lot of rhyming slang.

(BTW, Stamp was 61 in 1999.)

The one expression I remember from the film is china, which means mate (friend). China is short for china plate = mate.

The construction involves replacing a common word with a rhyming phrase of two or three words and then, in almost all cases, omitting the secondary rhyming word (which is thereafter implied), in a process called hemiteleia,[1][2] making the origin and meaning of the phrase elusive to listeners not in the know.[3]
One example is replacing the word "stairs" with the rhyming phrase "apples and pears". Following the pattern of omission, "and pears" is dropped, thus the spoken phrase "I'm going up the apples" means "I'm going up the stairs".

In similar fashion, "telephone" is replaced by "dog" (= 'dog-and-bone'); "wife" by "trouble" (= 'trouble-and-strife'); "eyes" by "mincers" (= 'mince pies'); "wig" by "syrup" (= 'syrup of figs') and "feet" by "plates" (= 'plates of meat'). Thus a construction of the following type could conceivably arise: "It nearly knocked me off me plates—he was wearing a syrup! So I ran up the apples, got straight on the dog to me trouble and said I couldn't believe me mincers."

In some examples the meaning is further obscured by adding a second iteration of rhyme and truncation to the original rhymed phrase. For example, the word "Aris" is often used to indicate the buttocks. This is the result of a double rhyme, starting with the original rough synonym "arse", which is rhymed with "bottle and glass", leading to "bottle". "Bottle" was then rhymed with "Aristotle" and truncated to "Aris".[2]

Rhyming slang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

not sure how to record my voice tbh. sounds odd on tape anyway.

Windows comes with an application called Sound Recorder, which will record your voice to a .WAV file.

There is also the much more sophisticated freeware application, Audacity, which can record your voice to an .MP3 file, much more compact.

ETA: The attached file is not a recording of my voice.

Attachments

• ok.wav
    8.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Reactions: Freesia
Don Cheadle's uncredited character, Basher Tarr, in the remake of Ocean's 11, uses cockney rhyming.

"Unless we intend to do this job in Reno, we're in Barney."

"Barney Rubble."

"Trouble!"

We could just record ourselves on our cellphones...

ETA: if you have a phone with the capability to do so. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scorpius
We could just record ourselves on our cellphones...

Like Amy, I don't have a smartphone either. It can record voice, but there's no way to get the recording out of the phone and into the computer.

I do have some digital voice recorders, which have an interface with the computer. They run about $35 or more here in the US.